It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-02-2012, 06:14 PM   #1
(female)

jjenbautista HB User
my mom has Fibro

Hello,

I decided to visit some message boards because my mother has Fibromyalgia. I guess the best way I can describe it is the fact that she has been 20 days in severe pain now. She basically lays down and waits, lays down and waits...and so on. She describes her pain as a razor is scraping her bones, her neck hurts, her brain and I see her muscles twitching.

This weekend is the first time I seen her body shaking. It was weird and scary.

She has a Rhuemo doctor and she has maxed out her meds on millagrams.

Her health can probably be a bit better as far eat eating.

My next option! change. What else can I take my mom to do to make something better?? What is missing? I keep asking myself.

So I was thinking Holisitic Therapy. Anybody try??? or Im open for other options than just doctor stuff and medications.

Thanks I appreciate it so much!

The following user gives a hug of support to jjenbautista:
catkaru (10-03-2012)
Old 10-03-2012, 08:05 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: my mom has Fibro

hi and welcome.
i don't take meds for fibro. i have massages, meditate, eat a veggie diet, and relax when things get bumpy. i used to do the shakes too. often that aspect only lasts a few years.
there are tons of topical creams out there too for pain. i use 4 kinds. they help more than pain meds and are organic.
a holistic doctor is a good idea. i worked for one years ago. i still use some of the foods for heath she taught me. my fav is refrigerator coffee with whole beans. wish i could remember how to make that one, but it's gone.
i went to herbal school for 2 years and learned what herbs help with my body.
don't let the herky jerky's get to you. they are weird but not so much painful.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. i also take gobs of suppliments and drink half a gallon of water every day. swimming is helpful too, as is a hot tub. i love my hot tub. with winter coming staying warm is important. give your mom a hug for us all here. we get it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-03-2012, 08:11 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

Hello,
What is she taking? I'm on Savella which helps. I've tried med free & did like your mom where you just lay there, dealing with the pain, waiting for it to ease up, but it doesn't.... Savella helps so that its not as bad. But even with that, I wait an hour after taking the savella then eat something breaded so I can take Tramadol. It takes 2 hrs before I notice it helping at all. But all it does it take the edge off so its more bearable. Unfortunetly it doesn't do much. Then the fatigue is awful also...
I'm thinking about asking for a prescription for a more "natural" med. Not to smoke, only ingest. I've heard great things about it helping others with fibro without all the side effects... My husband used to be against all that. Now he's the one pushing me twords it.
Anyhow, it's a thought...
Another thing... For me mornings are the worst. Your mom may be like that also. It's tough to make yourself do stuff when you hurt so much & just so exhausted... But it does help to get yourself moving around... She doesn't have to do much, just move alittle... Have her stretch. A short walk with vitamin D (sunshine) can really help her. Also a nice hot bath! It helps the muscle & joint pain. I easily spend an hour in the tub each day. She can read a book or magazine & just relax.
I try not to take it often because I try to keep my drug intake as little as possible. But I will take a muscle relaxer called Flexeral during the day. Usually an hour or two after the tramadol. It helps muscle pain allot. I also go through phases where I fall asleep ok so don't take the flexeril. But usually I have a hard time falling asleep so take one flexeril. It also relieves pain, I notice a difference in how I feel in the morning.
I take 100mg Tramadol 2 x daily. If I don't take the 2nd dose I wake up all night hurting & so uncomfortable. But can't take it after 5:30pm or it keeps me awake. I used to take it only when pain was so severe. But taking them regularly has helped my quality of life allot
Anyhow, this has all helped me. I'm hoping hating what works for me will help your mom
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 10-04-2012, 11:54 AM   #4
(female)

jjenbautista HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelakelady View Post
hi and welcome.
i don't take meds for fibro. i have massages, meditate, eat a veggie diet, and relax when things get bumpy. i used to do the shakes too. often that aspect only lasts a few years.
there are tons of topical creams out there too for pain. i use 4 kinds. they help more than pain meds and are organic.
a holistic doctor is a good idea. i worked for one years ago. i still use some of the foods for heath she taught me. my fav is refrigerator coffee with whole beans. wish i could remember how to make that one, but it's gone.
i went to herbal school for 2 years and learned what herbs help with my body.
don't let the herky jerky's get to you. they are weird but not so much painful.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. i also take gobs of suppliments and drink half a gallon of water every day. swimming is helpful too, as is a hot tub. i love my hot tub. with winter coming staying warm is important. give your mom a hug for us all here. we get it.

What kind of supplements and and creams do you use?

My mother is home a lot with me not there so its hard to give her support in the day. I wish I could. She is often in a lot of pain and i think it gives her lack of motivation. Her neck hurts a lot too and she cant move.

As for the bath - she made a joke she would fit in the tub. She also said the salt made her hands burn and she never did it after. Any other recommendations?

Thanks a lot for your feedback.

Old 10-04-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
(female)

jjenbautista HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefarm View Post
Hello,
What is she taking? I'm on Savella which helps. I've tried med free & did like your mom where you just lay there, dealing with the pain, waiting for it to ease up, but it doesn't.... Savella helps so that its not as bad. But even with that, I wait an hour after taking the savella then eat something breaded so I can take Tramadol. It takes 2 hrs before I notice it helping at all. But all it does it take the edge off so its more bearable. Unfortunetly it doesn't do much. Then the fatigue is awful also...
I'm thinking about asking for a prescription for a more "natural" med. Not to smoke, only ingest. I've heard great things about it helping others with fibro without all the side effects... My husband used to be against all that. Now he's the one pushing me twords it.
Anyhow, it's a thought...
Another thing... For me mornings are the worst. Your mom may be like that also. It's tough to make yourself do stuff when you hurt so much & just so exhausted... But it does help to get yourself moving around... She doesn't have to do much, just move alittle... Have her stretch. A short walk with vitamin D (sunshine) can really help her. Also a nice hot bath! It helps the muscle & joint pain. I easily spend an hour in the tub each day. She can read a book or magazine & just relax.
I try not to take it often because I try to keep my drug intake as little as possible. But I will take a muscle relaxer called Flexeral during the day. Usually an hour or two after the tramadol. It helps muscle pain allot. I also go through phases where I fall asleep ok so don't take the flexeril. But usually I have a hard time falling asleep so take one flexeril. It also relieves pain, I notice a difference in how I feel in the morning.
I take 100mg Tramadol 2 x daily. If I don't take the 2nd dose I wake up all night hurting & so uncomfortable. But can't take it after 5:30pm or it keeps me awake. I used to take it only when pain was so severe. But taking them regularly has helped my quality of life allot
Anyhow, this has all helped me. I'm hoping hating what works for me will help your mom
Thank you for your feedback. I responded to the message after this one if you have any other input. Thanks again.

Old 10-05-2012, 07:41 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

you asked for it, giggle. i use biofreeze, painatrate, voltaren gel (rx), sombra and noxicare natural pain relief. hope i wrote that okay. also used tpr20 but cannot afford it anymore. the noxicare is expensive too but the others are reasonably priced. i get them off amazon.
suppliments are all organic. i take C, D3, B12, Bcomplex, K2, A, electrolyte suppliment, cranberry suppliment, and drink a whey protein drink 3 times a week. oh, and a multi vitamin too.
love your moms joke about the tub. hot showers work too. give mom a hug for me. catch one on the breeze for you from me too.
peace,
blue

Reply Reply