It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-05-2012, 03:52 PM   #1
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User
What a pain in the neck!

Literally my neck hurts so bad I can barely hold it up or turn it this flare is full fledge I can't get any relief and now I have a new symptom... I feel like someone punched me in the thigh! It feels bruised but of course there is nothing there and I have had no trauma to the area. I am feeling like if I move my head wrong my neck is going to break! My back is in agony, my whole left side from my head to my feet hurt and the pins and needles are making me angry now! My stomach hurts (I don't remember if I ate) sorry for the rant but I only have a 7 year old, 2 year old and 7 month old to complain to and I would rather look like super mom to them than super lame so I needed to vent! Does anyone else feel these pains? The neck pain that is so bad you feel brittle and like it is going to break? My chin even hurts GRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Brookietrip
mom477 (10-06-2012), princesst (10-06-2012)
Old 10-05-2012, 06:13 PM   #2
(female)

Poookie HB User
Re: What a pain in the neck!

This is going to sound crazy but when my neck gets bad I go out and mow the lawn. I think it just helps doing anything to get the blood flowing to the area. Last night my neck was feeling the same way as yours and I took a hot bath with about 4 cups of Epsom salts. It reduced the pain considerably. Fortunately my children are all grown so it's easier for me to do that than it is for you. I still felt hung over from the pain but I could at least think. Two percocet didn't even touch the pain, it's amazing how something like Epsom salt can give me more relief. I hope you feel better soon!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-05-2012, 06:31 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

you could try a soft cervical collar for a few hours at a time to help take the stress off the neck. I wouldn't wear it a lot because it would weaken the muscles. also, I know this sounds awful, have you tried ice? is your neck and traps in knots? ice works wonders for me when I get knots. a good massage as well (I know they are expensive). There's also this cream but its prescription in the US, Voltaren Cream/Gel its like celebrex in a tube and does get absorb into the bloodstream.

do you have any lidoderm patches? they are prescription as well (sorry) I cut those into strips and run them along the traps. They'll take the edge off. Once you get it loosened up you can do some gentle stretching exercises (I've been to PT for this before) chin to chest, ears to shoulders, turning head left and right, all this is very gently and slowly.

Have you seen your dr. yet? PT does work wonders. but I know it takes up a lot of your time that you probably don't have. The epson salt does work too. I love that.

Good luck and I hope at least one of these tricks works out for you, Cathy

Old 10-05-2012, 09:00 PM   #4
(female)

Brookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB UserBrookietrip HB User

Thanks ladies... I took an 800 mg ibuprophin not much help of course but it's all I have now I have severe shooting chest pains, been through all of the heart tests so I'm not concerned that it's my ticker but man it hurts! I have Epsom salt but can't really take a bath right now because there are kids sleeping near all the bathrooms... Lol! I'm on the couch with heat... My " boyfriend" who I basically broke up with last night is upstairs ignoring me (we both have no where else to go) so I'm in pain feeling needy but I am alone while not being alone, nothing new... My neck is a tiny bit better since the ibuprophin, ice makes me hurt worse, I go to a neurologist on the 25th but his reviews from other people when I looked him up were terrible! Just what I need, another holier than thou doctor telling me there is nothing wrong with me while not checking me out because they think it's just anxiety... Getting tired of that one! I'm not anxious, I'm actually pretty relaxed except for the ridiculous pain I am in... Oh well search and search until I find the one! Maybe this doctor will surprise me and actually lay a finger on my skin and be thorough and figure out what ails me! Wouldn't that be nice! I just hate being so alone when I feel this way, my knight in shining armour turned out to be a loser in tin foil! I just need someone to care when I'm this bad off I don't even need a massage but maybe just some encouragement... I'm so bummed! I felt pretty great for awhile after 3 months straight if pure agony and now without warning it's back and worse than before I went to PT but it made me feel awful! I said no thank you to that! I am active all day from 6am until around 8 pm... My kids make sure of that! I am just worried I have fibro with ??? Probably ms or something, my uncle has it... My doc said she tested me for it but then I read that it can't be detected by bloodwork and only by MRI... She lied to me just to shut me up; she thought I was a hypochondriac, well you have been my doctor for 6 years and you only saw me once up until June of this year so... I don't think that seeing me only once in 6 years and then 10 times in a month makes me a hypochondriac, it makes me concerned about the awful unbelievable pain I am in! Am I wrong?

Old 10-05-2012, 10:50 PM   #5
(female)

Poookie HB User

No, You're not wrong. You've got the right attitude. If this doctor doesn't work out, keep on looking. Have you tried tennis balls on your neck and shoulders? Can you handle the pressure of the balls? I have two tied into a knee-high nylon and will put them under my shoulder blades while lying on the bed. I'll put one on the base of my neck.

Hang in there. I know what it's like dealing with a lot of kids when you don't feel well. You may be stressed without realizing it... especially if you don't have support from your partner. Hopefully you can get some sleep and wake up feeling better

Old 10-06-2012, 06:37 AM   #6
Inactive
(female)

princesst HB User

I would not take the ibuprofen if it doesn't work...it is too damaging to your liver/body if its just a useless effort.

You are the owner of your healthcare. Get to more doctors until you find the right one. Try a DO (osteopathic) as they are more holistic.

Vent out here or find a group or a friend...it helps.

Best of luck.

Old 10-06-2012, 04:59 PM   #7
(female)

Neck is definitely not better today and now my arms have pins and needles too... been through this before but its not any less unnerving when it happens got my hair fut and thinned today. It feels good, still long but a lot lighter on my head... wish my arms would stop tingling and my left foot... so annoying! Maybe I can take a bath with salts tonight? How do I do it? 4 cups of salt? Do I wear undies? Is it okay for salt to get in there?

Old 11-12-2012, 09:32 AM   #8
(female)

syberdeeva HB Usersyberdeeva HB User

I went through this type of neck pain recently. I was taking perscription pain medicine every four hours. It would work for a short while. I finally got mad enough and went to the er. They gave me an injection of diladud. It was the only thing that worked for the pain.

Old 11-12-2012, 09:42 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

You need to do an MRI of your neck.
You probably have bulging disks or something there is going on. Without doing an MRI you will never know.
My assumption with pain in the neck and without having a trauma there is a need to do an MRI.

Old 11-14-2012, 01:18 AM   #10
(male)

ponytaildave HB User

yes I have much of the same pains and nothing seems to help some days I can barely walk my pains are random and can be anywhere on my body sorry wish I could be some comfort for you but I know first hand you have to vent somewhere my girlfriend is dying from ALS and I am her caregiver she is all wrapped up in her own problems she doesn't even see my pain nor does any of her family which by the way never help with caring for her it has been very painful to do transfers to and from her wheelchair or even just putting her on a bed pan anyway here are some hugs but not too hard cause I know that can hurt too

Reply Reply