It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-09-2012, 04:06 PM   #1
(female)

whitehousecats HB User
Unhappy fibro flare-up caused by flu shot?

I got a flu shot the day after Labor Day (I protested, but the doctor said it was not too early) and within 48 hours after that I felt like I had been hit by a Mack truck! Every inch of my body hurt (except for my hair) and I constantly felt like I was "coming down with something". Who else has experience this? I am scheduled for a shingles shot this month and I really don't want to go through this crap again. I have had fibromyalgia for over 20 years and have never felt this bad for so long before this. Just within the past day I have started to feel human again, but probably because I started taking a probiotic from GNC. My family physicians (I have had two in the past 5 years) will acknowledge that I have fibromyalgia but just want to push pills at me. Don't want to take any medication. Need to figure out how to treat this naturally. HELP!

Old 10-09-2012, 08:38 PM   #2
(female)

boomer2012 HB User
Re: fibro flare-up caused by flu shot?

I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time..... I've had fibromyalgia for over 20 years and am still trying to figure out what causes flare ups.... is it too much exercise or not enough? is it the weather? is it the food?..... etc. etc... What I know for sure is that when the weather starts to get colder, as it is now.... I live in Canada.... I get a lot more pain. I don't think I'll ever figure out why the flare ups happen.... Although it gets very discouraging, I usually try to stay positive during a flare up and try to remember that it does get better eventually....

As you, I'm not taking any medication for fibromyalgia as I'm afraid of the side effects. I'm trying to figure out what will lessen my pain and what I've learned is that exercise is the best remedy if I do it regularly, but I tend to stop and start which makes the pain worse. I find distracting myself from the pain is very helpful by changing what I'm doing as soon as the pain gets too difficult to deal with... any change is helpful... walking, playing a computer game, watching something you enjoy, talking to a friend... anything that will distract the brain from the pain. I find regular exercise and distraction is what works best for me.

Lately I've been having a lot of digestive problems and am having difficulty in getting used to magnesium/malic acid supplement which supposed to be very helpful with fibromyalgia. Maybe probiotic is what I should try first....

I hope you are feeling better....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-10-2012, 05:12 AM   #3
(female)

whitehousecats HB User
Smile Re: fibro flare-up caused by flu shot?

Quote:
Originally Posted by boomer2012 View Post
I'm sorry you are having such a difficult time..... I've had fibromyalgia for over 20 years and am still trying to figure out what causes flare ups.... is it too much exercise or not enough? is it the weather? is it the food?..... etc. etc... What I know for sure is that when the weather starts to get colder, as it is now.... I live in Canada.... I get a lot more pain. I don't think I'll ever figure out why the flare ups happen.... Although it gets very discouraging, I usually try to stay positive during a flare up and try to remember that it does get better eventually....

As you, I'm not taking any medication for fibromyalgia as I'm afraid of the side effects. I'm trying to figure out what will lessen my pain and what I've learned is that exercise is the best remedy if I do it regularly, but I tend to stop and start which makes the pain worse. I find distracting myself from the pain is very helpful by changing what I'm doing as soon as the pain gets too difficult to deal with... any change is helpful... walking, playing a computer game, watching something you enjoy, talking to a friend... anything that will distract the brain from the pain. I find regular exercise and distraction is what works best for me.

Lately I've been having a lot of digestive problems and am having difficulty in getting used to magnesium/malic acid supplement which supposed to be very helpful with fibromyalgia. Maybe probiotic is what I should try first....

I hope you are feeling better....

Old 10-10-2012, 05:19 AM   #4
(female)

whitehousecats HB User
Smile Re: fibro flare-up caused by flu shot?

Sorry you are feeling bad too, but it's good to know I am not the only one out here. This past episode snuck up on me and I didn't realize until after I had been to the doctor 3 times this month that it was caused from fibro.... You would think I would get smart after all this time... He's not the one who suggested a flare-up though. I figured that out on my own. I met someone in a pharmacy recently who was also considering supplements. She also has fibro and doesn't sleep (like me). She told me to take Magnesium to help me sleep and that has really worked since the day I started it. In addition to the probiotic I also am taking a huge dose of vitamin B-12 because I am diabetic and that disease depletes the vitamin from your system. Thanks!

Old 10-10-2012, 05:21 AM   #5
(female)

whitehousecats HB User
Re: fibro flare-up caused by flu shot?

Try the probiotic as soon as possible. You will be amazed at the results, very quick. Do you have a local GNC store to go to? They can answer a lot of questions.

Reply Reply

Tags
fibromyalgia flares, flu shot