It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-20-2012, 11:36 PM   #1
(female)

CallMeK HB User
Retry a med? Also, exercise

Hello everyone. I've been an on and off lurker for a while and it sure helps knowing others go through so much of the same things I do. I have a couple questions.

Several years ago I tried Neurontin and got up to 900mg for at least a month with no results. Would it be worth it to try it again? My pain is worse in general now. Cymbalta won't work for me because of a certain side effect. The side effects of Lyrica were too bad for me to even get near a decent dose. Savella made me extremely nauseated at half of the smallest dose in the starter pack. Neurontin wasn't such a problem, it just didn't work. What do you think? I can't see my doc until the beginning of December but I'm trying to figure out what to ask her for because what I'm doing now isn't working very well at all.

My husband and I started doing light exercise several weeks ago. I tried several options before finding a DVD set aimed at seniors and I'm able to handle the exercises. Does anyone have any idea how long it could be before I might start seeing pain improvement from this? I've been pretty diligent about it except for the past few days because we had company. There is definitely no improvement so far. Any thoughts?

Thanks for you advice on these things. I'll do my best to join in more now and not just ask for things.

~Kali

Old 10-21-2012, 06:41 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Retry a med? Also, exercise

Hi K, nice to see you come out of lurking mode. How great you have the support of your husband to exercise with you.

I just started Yoga 2 weeks ago and am not seeing any big difference yet. These things take time to work, stick at it and in time there should be a noticeable difference. I figure even if it does not do anything for my pain level, it will still be beneficial for me in other ways.

As for the neurotin, if it did not work before, what is different now other than the pain level that it would work now??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-21-2012, 07:15 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

welcome to the surface kali,
i will broach the neurontin. i agree with my name sis ww. why bother? i took it for years with good results for rls. then i started having strokes, tiny ones that affected speech, walking, memory, swallowing, you name it. had 8 of them. then read more info on the drug and saw it can cause strokes so i quit. since then not one brain event.
something to consider as you make up your mind.
i feel exercise is the most important thing we can do. stay supple and active. i power walk and baby walk and tiny walk. power walks turn on adrenalin so for a while i feel no pain. then it slowly comes back. baby walks are for keeping supple when it is hard to move. tiny walks are 5 min walks around my yard when moving is hades. do that 20 times a day on difficult days. i do yoga stretches. a bit of ti chi. swimming is my fav.
after many years i find no medicine works for fibro in my body so i don't take any.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. hi name sis!!!!

Old 10-21-2012, 09:22 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

Hi Kali - Exercise takes a while to build up so you get benefit - but keep going (and be mindful you don't over do it - I was feeling amazing - got carried away and went to an aerobics class and have paid for it for a week - the music was SO good!!!) For me it's the NUMBER 1 activity we can do - I go to a personal trainer once a week who has me doing a variety of stuff (including a bit of boxing ) I swim/walk/cycle and do pilates - alongside lots of stretching. Having overdone it - I've not been able to do anything for a week which is driving me nuts so back to it tomorrow starting off gently and building up - not only will your muscles fee better - your internal core will be stronger so when you trip (as we do with fibro) your core better holds you together so you don't end up pulling a muscle somewhere in your leg/back as used to happen to me. Also you release endorphins (happy hormones) which will make you "feel" better too. Think I was having too many of those the other week (if that's possible)
As for the meds I don't take any - took amitriplynine (to help with sleep and to relax muscles) when I was first diagnosed 5 years ago and had palpitations and felt like in the mornings as if I was hungover so came off them straight away - felt it would do more harm than good in the longer term and felt so groggy thought it was too dangerous to drive to work.
So for me alongside the exercise I have hot baths/showers/massages etc
Hope you feel the benefit of the exercise soon

Old 10-21-2012, 11:43 AM   #5
(female)

CallMeK HB User

Thanks, everyone. That's what I was wondering about the neurontin, if it would be worth it or not. Seems not. I've had meds for other things not work and then work later, and vice versa, so I figured I'd ask. I'm frustrated because I know neurontin makes a big difference for some people and I wish it would for me too. *sigh*

I'll definitely keep up the exercise. It helps to know it can take a while to notice much--and possibly not notice a change in pain at all. I enjoy doing it, and I also enjoy walking when my legs and hips cooperate properly.

Thanks for the encouragement!

Reply Reply