It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-23-2012, 02:05 PM   #1
(female)

ClevelandEuc HB User
Vision issue, conflicted findings at eye doctor

Hi, I was diagnosed with FM 20 years ago.

My vision suddenly has taken on a slanted appearance, like the words and text slant and slope.. I went to my eye doctor last Wednesday who looked at the back of my eye and found nothing, said everything was normal. The symptoms continued. Then I called him back and he said to come in for a full eye exam, maybe I have an astigmatism. In the meantime, I did some research on my own about eye issues and read that sometimes eye movement disorders can cause some symptoms. So yesterday I went to my full eye exam. I mentioned to the tech about the eye movement disorder thing and she said she would check that. She did one test, it was fine. That was the one where you follow the pen left and right, up and down. Second test is called "the cover test" where an eye is covered and then you check the other eye for movement. She administered that test and instantly said I had mild movement in both eyes and that was not normal. I almost died. My heart was pounding with nerves. Then she found an astigmatism too. I read about how eye movement disorders (lazy eye) can be very normal in children but in adults suddenly acquired, it can indicate brain disease such as brain tumors, MS, stroke, other. I was so nervous. I waited to see my eye doctor who came in and was just focused on writing out my new eye prescription. I then asked him if it's possible that I have an eye movement disorder. He said he's never seen that in me, why do I ask? I said the tech scared me, she said on the second test where you cover the eye, I had movement and that was not normal. He literally kept writing out he prescription. I then bluntly asked him to do those eye movement tests because I was upset over what the tech said. So then he had me follow his pen, passed that. Then he did a version of the cover test which didn't seem as textbook as the tech did but he still had me cover one eye and he watched the other. Then he goes, "I don't see it' meaning he didn't see any movement or problem. I was relieved but then wondered why I had to force the two tests in the first place, if the second one was even accurate since he did it in a different way or if he was humoring me so much he really wasn't even concentrating on the testing if that makes sense. So I am concerned and wonder why the tech said that was not normal, he looks (half-assing maybe) and says there was no movement. What gives? I did call the assistant who talked to him and he basically told her everyone has "Something" that eye doctor's see but they decipher if it's enough to be pathologically significant or not. He is confident and believes I have nothing bad going on.

Now, I am freaking out I have a brain tumor or something like that.

Has anyone had this experience or something similar and it's due to FM?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-23-2012, 03:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: Vision issue, conflicted findings at eye doctor

I have astigmatism really bad in both eyes. You should make an appt with another eye doctor. Don't mention anything about what the tech said until after the appt of nothing is said.

Old 10-24-2012, 06:18 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Vision issue, conflicted findings at eye doctor

hi,
not related to fibro. first check all your meds for eye reactions. second call an opthamologist-surgeon for a second opinion. what mom477 said is good but in this case i suggest you do tell them why you want it. this way they will be specifically looking for signs of that issue.
my son had the surgery at 5 and said it was easy and not painful. he is 34 now and needs it done again.
best advise i can offer is don't borrow trouble. don't freak out over what you read on the internet. worry solves nothing, action does. and the internet is full of misinformation too.
one of my daughters has graves disease which causes the eye muscles to harden. she will be having the surgery soon also. i have had 4 eye surgeries. they are a breeze. so, in closing, no worries till you have a reason, a real reason validated by a second opinion to send you there. kay?
peace,
blue

Reply Reply