It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 10-24-2012, 09:54 PM   #1
(female)

tanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB Usertanasmom HB User
Embarrassing question

I can't believe I am going to ask this question but I need advice so here it goes.
Does anyone else get so stiff in the mornings that personal hygiene is almost impossible? I know that sounds gross. I'll explain. In the mornings, I am so stiff that to hold my toothbrush is impossible and squeezing the toothpaste is even more impossible. My first potty break in the morning is very tricky. My back is so stiff that I can't reach back or bend forward and wipe without horrible pain....not to mention that since my hands are so stiff, I can barely hold the toilet paper.
I have to get up to take my girls to school and my husband to work and there is no time for taking 3 hours for everything to limber up.
I refuse to ask my husband for help. I would rather die, actually. It is so embarrassing.
Do any of you have these problems and what have you done to get around them? Thank you !!! Sorry about the TMI...lol

The following user gives a hug of support to tanasmom:
mctdonna (10-24-2012)
Old 10-24-2012, 10:38 PM   #2
(female)

mctdonna HB Usermctdonna HB User
Re: Embarrassing question

read some of my posts might help,, to tired now hands to sore to type, they are worse in am ask your husband for help and find a good doctor, nite hon and good luck, read on

The Following User Says Thank You to mctdonna For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (10-24-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 10-25-2012, 06:02 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
no question here is off limits. giggle. i hear you. can you go straight into the shower for 5 minutes? as soon as you get up? hot shower. then go poo and brush your teeth. we do have those days when the basic needs are a mountain climb.
i am with you on not asking a man for help. another female sure, but a guy? no. do you ever just sit there and laugh at it? i do. i feel like a silent movie character and for some reason always think of them and that herky jerky filming. giggle.
peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 10-25-2012 at 06:04 AM. Reason: program take out word ***???

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
tanasmom (10-25-2012)
Old 10-25-2012, 06:18 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

thesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB Userthesweetlife HB User

I agree with Blue - a hot shower and then toilet - or if still sore hot shower toilet and then nip back in the shower with one of those detachable shower heads - (if you get my drift! - another option is to a hot water bottle or a heat patch on your back as soon as you get up

Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

me again,
also a few minutes soak in hot water for your hands. there are topical creams you can use that will not interfere with body functions in the morning. i put it on fresh out of the shower. i used to have lidoderm patches. something to think about. creams i use are biofreeze, painatrate, sombra and noxicare. i bathe in them. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 10-25-2012, 12:51 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

We all have those mornings. Are you taking magnesium? I take a couple tablets before bedtime and it does help with morning stiffness, not all but some.

The Following User Says Thank You to Pammyann For This Useful Post:
mctdonna (10-25-2012)
Old 10-26-2012, 12:01 AM   #7
(female)

Thank you, everybody. Those are some great ideas that I would have never thought of.

Old 10-26-2012, 09:11 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

I also have a very hard time in the morning with stiffness. I often wonder what would happen if I got stuck in the position I am in when potty time comes around and someone saw me. Lets just say it would not be pretty. I do use the moist wipes they sell now so there is a better chance of getting clean. The shower thing is a good idea! My problem is the energy it takes me to get dry after a shower. It totally wipes me out. Do you try to get up a bit earlier than usual so you are able to take your time getting these things done? I hope some of the ideas you get on this board is helpful. These folks have certainly helped me! Good luck!

Low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 10-26-2012, 12:18 PM   #9
(female)

Wink Re: Embarrassing question

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkaru View Post
I also have a very hard time in the morning with stiffness. I often wonder what would happen if I got stuck in the position I am in when potty time comes around and someone saw me. Lets just say it would not be pretty. I do use the moist wipes they sell now so there is a better chance of getting clean. The shower thing is a good idea! My problem is the energy it takes me to get dry after a shower. It totally wipes me out. Do you try to get up a bit earlier than usual so you are able to take your time getting these things done? I hope some of the ideas you get on this board is helpful. These folks have certainly helped me! Good luck!

Low pain all,
Yes, I always have diaper wipes in all the bathrooms. I've always done that though cause I am big on hygiene. I can get clean but it takes me moving my body beyond where it wants to go and causes horrible pain. I'm sure my family wonders what the hell is going on with me yelling in the bathroom in the mornings....LOL.
I started today setting my alarm for an hour before I need to get up so I can take all my meds and lay back down for an hour....so that maybe they will have kicked in by the time I need to get up.
I know what you mean about the shower. It's exhausting. I used to shower every day but now I can only shower every other day. By the time I get out, I am too exhausted to dry my hair so it ends up looking like crap.

Thank you !!!!

Old 10-27-2012, 08:24 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

another tip. take your meds then a short stand under the shower, no washing, just stand and use a shower cap. then go back to bed till the meds kick in. i find if i shower no matter how i feel it makes me feel better so i make time to rest up after. then i get up, my meds are working on the sjogrens and arthritis, i'm clean and ready to dress and go. i get up at 5 most days. i do not work but i choose to live my life like i did when i did. today i slept in till after 6. missed the meteor shower. boo hoo.
peace,
blue

Old 11-03-2012, 04:25 PM   #11
(female)

Serathia HB UserSerathia HB User

I am right there with you...and I have 6 young children and 4 I have to get to the bus stops by 7am. I usually have to get up at 4:45am and roll over and take my meds which I keep on my night stand with a glass of water. Wait about 20 minutes then slowly get up and stretch a bit. Then I hobble to do my bathroom business and hobble to get coffee and sit and watch tv for a few minutes. Usually by 5:45am I am feeling much better and can deal with the whole troup of kids that come pouring out needing me. The bigger trick is that i now have some tylenol 3's or hydro's that I can take on bad mornings and they usually kick in much faster. On good days I just take my lyrica and tramadol, occasionally a muscle relaxor.

-Jennifer

Old 11-04-2012, 03:26 PM   #12
(female)

Chicabellarox HB UserChicabellarox HB User

I also get up an hour early to take meds and go back to bed. Another thing I do to accommodate our needs is that I take a warm bath at night to soak, which gives me a better night's sleep. In the morning, I only hop in the shower to get my muscles moving and to wash my hair. I have trouble doing it all at once (bathing and hair) because everything does take longer when stiff and when my mind is foggy in the morning.

To help my daughter get to school, I have her clothes, backpack, lunch, and everything ready the night before. That way I can take a little bit more time for myself in the bathroom while she is getting ready. I have to get up before everyone else because I also take a long time to use the bathroom.

I do get up earlier than I ever used to (which is difficult when in pain), and I sip tea to get going. Having to walk to the kitchen helps my stiff muscles a little.

Reply Reply