HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Fibromyalgia and Muscle Atrophy (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/926048-fibromyalgia-muscle-atrophy.html)

littlebinkib 11-04-2012 08:50 AM

Fibromyalgia and Muscle Atrophy

Naturally, due to the pain of fms does anyone know or have experienced muscle atrophy? How do we know if the pain is from fms or muscle atrophy?

thesweetlife 11-04-2012 09:05 AM

Re: Fibromyalgia and Muscle Atrophy

I think it's a great question you've asked. I think the answer is.............that depends..............If you don't use your muscles then there will be muscle atrophy. I'm sure lots of people with fibro do have muscle atrophy and may or may not know that this is the case as the problem with fibro as we all know that because we have constant pain it is often difficult to isolate and recognise other issues. So in order for this not to happen we need to keep moving those muscles and using weights. I've been good at keeping the exercise going but not using weights as I "hurt" after!!! I'm now seeing a personal trainer who has helped me work through this and I've been using 8kg kettle bells which I would never have believed. However I've developed tennis elbow in the last couple of weeks - booo - an old injury of 12 years ago which I stupidly forgot to tell my PT. I'm not seeing my PT now until early Dec but will ask him his view on your question

littlebinkib 11-04-2012 09:18 AM

Thank you and good luck with your tennis elbow. I've always believed in use it or lose it when it comes to brains and muscles. I was very active before fms. When I'm out shopping and leaning on the grocery cart, watching other people, I sadly remember how I used to just book through store and focus on what I was doing. Now, I shop and focus on one foot in front of the other and pain. My mind just wants to throw the cart and walk like I used to everwhere. I don't get to far though. My mind says I'm just a whimp, suck it up. My doctor says stress and being an overachiever, I wore my body out and it doesn't have anything left. Ok, but I want to keep what I have left. I'm going to try light weights to see if I can keep what muscles I have. The pain will tell though.

WoodsWalker 11-04-2012 09:57 AM

Atrophy will set in if you let it. As far as telling that pain from FM, I don't really know the difference.

I have recently gone back after a long long absence to Yoga. Starting slow with better back yoga and yoga geared twords relieving stress. I was surprised how much I felt this in my muscles. I plan on continuing. My butt muscles are what hurt most...guess my Mom was right after all... there are days I'm nothing but a pain in the butt.

Sweetlife, I also suffer from tendonitis in both elbows. I get both Tennis and golfers elbow. The best advice I have is to always wear muscle support any time you are doing repetitive motions or heavy work. Do this from the 1st moment you do what irritates it, before the pain starts. I use one called BandIT Therapeutic Forearm Band (google it) with great results, and it's way more comfortable and effective than any others I tried.

littlebinkib 11-04-2012 10:05 AM

If you were to stretch, exercise, walk, etc. and the pain keeps getting worse after, how long do you think you should try to work through the pain?

catkaru 11-04-2012 10:29 AM

Wondering if all knew that tennis elbow is actually tendonitis of the shoulder not the elbow. My Rheumy told me it's from repetative use. I had it for a year at one time. I also used that forearm band that WoodsWalker used. That helped alot. I know when I walk to far my legs get so painful and heavy. I'm afraid if I ever had to run I would be in real trouble! Most of my problems have been with my lower half more than my top half. I'm guessing it's because I have always used my upper half more. So the exercise is good I would ten to believe.

Low pain all,

thesweetlife 11-04-2012 01:41 PM

I use one of those supports a friend suggested it last time and it's brilliant - but I've only been wearing it when the pain gets really bad (as I tend to think it's fibro!!) Great suggestion re wearing it as a preventative aid - I think it's snuck on me with me lifting boxes for the house move we're getting ready to undertake - and tendonitis of the shoulder makes real sense - I've been having a heat pad on my shoulder and front of my chest as that's been really painful - I'd assumed it was the referred pain from the forearm coming up to the shoulder. I'll talk with my PT when I'm with him as well - thanks for the advice all :)

thesweetlife 11-04-2012 01:42 PM

And Woodswalker - well done on keeping up with the yoga :) :)

WoodsWalker 11-05-2012 09:02 AM

littlebinkib, I'd give it a good month to work out the kinks from exercise. BUT it also depends on what kind of workout you're doing and how often. Could you be pushing to hard and causing further muscle problems? building up slowly is the best bet to avoid to much more pain than we already endure. The pain does get frustrating at times, but I just try and plow through it.