It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2012, 07:10 PM   #1
(female)

Jocy511 HB User
How is fibro diagnosed?

Just wondering what everyone's symptoms are exactly, specific areas, and your journey to get a diagnosis?

Old 11-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #2
(female)

krivera HB User
Re: How is fibro diagnosed?

i have recently been diagnosed with fibromyalgia really didnt expect it but was. i also have a possible autoimmune disease also witch my dr is checking into and currently waiting exams. i know with fibro u are more sensitive to touch/pain and experience stiffness more tired than normal and aches & pains that are all chronic and last at least 3 or more months. i have been dealing with pain for a 1 yr 1/2 now and 6 months ago was diagnosed with it and was told there was nothing else wrong with me. last week went to get a second opinion. so glad that i did because i honestly wasnt a true believer in fibro until last week and also my doctor has discovered many abnormal blood, urine and x-rays test results. my personal opinion if you are dealing with chronic pain and get diagnosed with fibro always get a second opinion because u can be suffering from something else but like my dr told me some diseases cause symptoms before they are seen in test results. as for my exact symptoms here they are and in order sorry kinda long but may help you: i started off with plantar fasciitis that we could not treat in one foot then in both couple months later achilles tendonitis then i had forarm tendonitis wrist tendonitis every couple of months something new would pop started later getting joint pain stiffness so bad couldnt get out of bed with out help started sleeping more blurred vision seeing flashing lights in corner of eyes touble swallowing choking on food problems with speach started gettting tremors then had episodes where i was so weak i couldnt walk on my own. i had to fight just to get doctors to believe me its a struggle and takes time and getting the right doctor is hard i had to switch doctors often because some support fibro some dont. i never considered fibro i never believed in it.other doctors said it was my diagnosis my current doctor told me this exactly in his report "We spent some time discussing the nature of fibromyalgia, that this is a disorder of abnormal pain regulation by the central nervous system, not a disorder of the joints or muscles themselves, and not an inflammatory or "rheumatic" disorder. It is more a "result" than a "cause". There may be a genetic predisposition. People end up with fibromyalgia for a number of reasons but the strongest known associations are chronic non-restorative sleep and mood disorders. Treatment is aimed at treating the underlying problems, and using medications that affect the pain threshold. FMS does not typically respond to pain medications. Key to getting better is to sleep at night and move the body in the daytime." anyways i hope this helps you out some i know there are many symptoms i left out due to having so many and sorry about my typing and errors my hands and arms cramp up so bad and hurt when using them. just remember everyone is different and will experience different symptoms

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-06-2012, 09:18 PM   #3
(female)

aadj926 HB User

From my understanding and my experience; your physician will basically rule out everything before diagnosing you with fibro. I had MRI's and such to make sure it wasn't just a damaged nerve that could be repaired. My symptoms are all over pain, but mine are much worse in specific spots. My left arm, left leg/hip and ribs are the worst. I will have my good days and my bad, but right now with it getting cold; I have a lot of bad days. Fatigue, depression and anxiety are also common as well as IBS. I know my anxiety is through the roof, but that is because I get left arm, jaw and chest pain so I automatically think heart attack, but it isn't. I work out five days a week and watch my calories and fat intake, so based on my blood work and heart "exams" my physician said it is pretty much impossible for me to have a heart attack with the health I am in, but that does not stop me from thinking that is what it is. It depends on the person though with their symptoms, but the pain feels like deep muscle pain and for me it is beyond terrible.

Old 11-07-2012, 06:43 AM   #4
(female)

jessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB User

I had a similar experience as aadj926..pain in lots of areas..mostly left side..frozen shoulder, back & neck pain and then gradually it felt like I had 10 ton legs that I could hardly move. My hip and knee joints started popping very loudly and hurt when I would get up from sitting for awhile or when exercising..embarrassing at the gym..like a symphony of joints screaming when I exercise! I finally got tired of going to so many docs so I went to a rheumatologist who is usually the doc to go to ...there are tender points..I believe 14 of them on your body that they manipulate to see if there is tenderness or pain. That along with your past history of symptoms will give you a diagnosis. I believe you have to have had the symptoms of pain for more than a month or so..maybe 3 months? If you google diagnosing fibro you will get tons of info. Everyone is different but for me...I fit the bill perfectly..GERD, IBS, nerve, muscle and joint pain and anxiety and depression. My rheumy is so wonderful..when he gave me the dx he put his hand on my shoulder and said it was ok to cry if I needed to..he said so many women do since they are so relieved they do not have a disease that is going to kill them although somedays that is how you feel..its almost a relief to put a name to your craziness.

Reply Reply