It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 01:45 PM   #1
(female)

sunny707 HB User
Unhappy Fibromyalgia Meds causing Psych Problems?

Hi, my mother-in-law is diagnosed with fibromyalgia. She says she also has lupus and rheumatoid arthritis. This is a pretty long post but there has been so much happening... I don't know where to start and end.

She has only been seeing a Nurse Practitioner for more than 15 years. Her treatment regimen is very mysterious because we can never get ahold of the NP on the phone and she won't call us back. All we know is that she is taking a lot of prescription meds.

My mother-in-law will not let us go with her to her appointments. She keeps saying she wants to change to another healthcare provider but she never really tries to find another one and if we try to get her to go to another one, she finds a way to get out of it (for example she will not be around on the day of her new appointment).

My husband thinks his mother is afraid of losing her "drug dealer." She has always been a bit strange but last winter she went crazy. It started that she said she was taking valium and slept all the time. And then she went crazy and started having hallucinations & became very paranoid. She would call my husband all the time saying she thinks this guy in the neighborhood was trying to kill her, she saw images on screens that told her they wanted to kill her, etc. Her daughter took her to the hospital and then they took her to a psych ward for a bit but then she was released. My husband was never able to get ahold of that darn nurse practitioner but he did have her see a psychiatrist and a psychologist. The psychiatrist somehow spoke with the nurse practitioner and they straightened out her meds. The psychiatrist uncovered that the NP just took her off certain meds too fast and that's what's making her crazy. So after all that she became mentally normal again.

And now she is starting to become stranger than normal again these days. She is saying her NP keeps taking her off things and then not giving her enough of other things. The other day she was picked up by a police officer because she was walking on the freeway (she thinks it was ok because she says her friend showed her that way to walk the other day...but we don't know what to believe).

Anyone that comes in contact with her says they think she is under the influence. I know that there is nothing wrong with using pain medication and really feel bad that she has fibromyalgia. We want to help her and be able to speak with her nurse practitioner or get her to another doctor but we think she will never give us consent.

What has to happen before we can have more control with her health care? What do we do? I've been trying to find resources online but haven't come up with anything yet. This nurse practitioner seems to really be jerking her around with the meds.....we are really worried.

Any help would be great. Thank you for reading..

Last edited by sunny707; 11-07-2012 at 02:13 PM. Reason: To add something

The following user gives a hug of support to sunny707:
catkaru (11-07-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-07-2012, 04:54 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia Meds causing Psych Problems?

Dear Sunny707, When the police picked her up did they take her the hospital as well. The hospital would know what kind of meds she is taking and refer her to a doctor to help her. Has she ever had her sugar tested. Low or High blood sugar can casue the same symptoms of phychosis (sp) I think. Unless she gives them permission the NP or hospital can't tell you what she's on. Have you looked in her medicine cabinet and jotted down the drugs she is taking to look them up. I really can't think of any other way for you to help her without having her found legaly incompetant (sp). It doesn't have to be drugs that is causing these episodes it could be a number of medical causes. You could make an appointment with her NP and talk to her about your mother and your concerns. She may not know what's going on between appointments. I hope you find help for her soon. She is very lucky to have 2 caring people to take care of her as you and your hudband. Godd luck and God Bless.

Low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 11-08-2012, 01:32 PM   #3
(female)

sunny707 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by catkaru View Post
Dear Sunny707, When the police picked her up did they take her the hospital as well. The hospital would know what kind of meds she is taking and refer her to a doctor to help her. Has she ever had her sugar tested. Low or High blood sugar can casue the same symptoms of phychosis (sp) I think. Unless she gives them permission the NP or hospital can't tell you what she's on. Have you looked in her medicine cabinet and jotted down the drugs she is taking to look them up. I really can't think of any other way for you to help her without having her found legaly incompetant (sp). It doesn't have to be drugs that is causing these episodes it could be a number of medical causes. You could make an appointment with her NP and talk to her about your mother and your concerns. She may not know what's going on between appointments. I hope you find help for her soon. She is very lucky to have 2 caring people to take care of her as you and your hudband. Godd luck and God Bless.

Low pain all,
Thank you so much for the advice! I think we will start with talking to her about what you said, that we should go with her appointments so that we can tell the NP what's been going on because I really don't think she remembers or is too shy to say things. She already has a hard time expressing herself to her own family, so I can only imagine how much is left out when she goes to her appointments.

Old 11-09-2012, 05:12 AM   #4
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Sunny, I have Fibro and pretty much got fired last month becasue of it. Memory problems for me. My husband is a diabetic and used to have some crazy episodes before they got his Insulin cocktail correct. I remember one morning he was acting crazy and I worked for 2 hours trying to get him to take some sugar because his count was a 23. I only know that because eventualy I gave up and called 911 because he was getting ready to attack me and I needed some help (muscle). The police and paramedics came. The cops helped me calm him down and the EMT actualy gave him I.V. gluocose (sp). I was still having to give him orange juice and P&J sandwich afterward. I was too exhausted to go to work. He went to work not remembering any of it! I'm glad you are going forward with your Mom. Let me know how it goes. I'll pray she gets help. And once again she is very lucky to have you and your husband. Hopefully when she gets better you guys can have the relationship you all deserve. Good luck and God speed!

Low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 11-10-2012, 02:11 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

thefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB Userthefarm HB User

I don't think normal fibro meds could be causing physicosis but she obviously needs help. I'd have her see another phsycologist. I think whatever is going on with her likely had nothing to do with fibro. Maybe she is bipolar or something like that & with it not being treated plus maybe meds she's taking aggravating it, it's possible snowballing...
I'm sorry you and your family are going through this! I'm sorry she's having to go through so much also! Hopefully you can all find answers & she can get the help he needs...
Back injury~ 2005
Severe Degenerative Disk, Arthritis, Mild Scoliosis.
Fibromyalgia diagnosed 2009
Neuropathy
Migraines?

Old 11-10-2012, 08:27 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Lupus can cause outright psychosis with hallucinations from inflammation of the brain. She needs to be under the care of a rheumatologist, who specializes in fibro, lupus and RA. It is hard to sort out what is happening when she won't share any info, which does sound suspicious of hiding drug use/abuse. I think this is a touchy situation which your husband should try to take charge of for his Mom. It is likely she doesn't remember med instructions or is taking them improperly. He needs to insist on going with her to appointments for her safety, and a rheum consult would be the place to start after figuring out what meds she is truly taking. Is alcohol an issue? I would do some snooping and just show up in the office of the nurse practitioner to get a feel of what is going on. She can't tell you anything, but you can tell her anything you want! HIPPA makes these situations very difficult for families. Good luck!

Old 11-12-2012, 08:49 AM   #7
(female)

dfwmom HB User

Valium is a highly addictive medication. Fibromyalgia patients are vulnerable to addiction because the truth is that there is no medication that actually controls the illness. Doctors will throw all kinds of drugs at the disease, which may do a bit to alleviate one of the multitude of symptoms, and which cause extensive side effects and dependence and drug toleraence and withdrawal symptoms for which a doctor will often prescribe more medications. Painkillers don't help much for fibro. They are commonly prescribed for fibro, though, and cause addiction and paranoia. If your MIL is taking vicodin, by the way, there is your paranoia culprit. Benzos such as Valium are horribly addictive, and the side effects of withdrawal are very difficult. Tapering will help lessen, but won't prevent withdrawal symptoms.

Your MIL is an adult, and has civil rights to determine her own medical choices, including a choice to believe she is not addicted, and to remain addicted or refuse addiction treatment.

You must accept that your MIL's medical choices is something that you cannot control. She may or may not be an addict, and either way, that is something completely outside of your control.

I'm sorry your family is going through this. Unless your MIL invites you to participate in her health care choices, you will have to accept that this is a situation that you cannot control. If she demonstrates that she is at risk to harm of herself or others, you might get a doctor to place her on a 72 hour hold, but even then, it's unlikely you can force her into any long term treatment that she doesn't want. And -- most addiction treatment doesn't work long term, especially without a commitment from the addict.

Addiction is not a problem that is within your power to solve. The only person who can solve it is the person who is addicted. You must take two steps back, and make sure that the chaos of addiction in her life, does not create chaos in your life.

Last edited by Administrator; 11-13-2012 at 01:43 AM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Reply Reply