It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-07-2012, 06:02 PM   #1
(female)

katnben HB User
unable to speak correctly

have a question here. Today has been especially bad about trying to get my words out. I seem to be stammering and stumbling over words more so than normal today. have recently been diagnosed with fibro by rheumatologist when all other labs came back normal. I have some didficultly being able to come up with the right word but today was like I could not talk. just jabberer and made no sense. it was very embarrassing! is this normal? thanks

Old 11-08-2012, 07:27 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: unable to speak correctly

giggle, welcome to my world! yea, it's normal. you get used to it and learn to make jokes about it so you don't feel so dorky. i crack me up all the time. some of the words that come out just are too funny not to laugh about.
get your humor running and have fun with it. don't let it frustrate you. if you have an appt where you need to be able to speak write notes first so you can stay on track and sound at least half sane, giggle. hey, it makes me look so like i have my act together. giggle, and i don't!
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. favorite things to say. english is my second language, i'm gonna learn to talk tomorrow, did i say that? what a trip!, does that make sense? and, oops i had a brain fart! giggle.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 11-08-2012 at 07:29 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
Keris01 (11-21-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-10-2012, 08:20 PM   #3
(female)

FiKA88 HB User

I have the same problem a lot of the time, I know what you're going through! And my job is pretty much all talking, so it can be super frustrating at times. I completely blank out on words, forget what I'm saying halfway though, and stumble and slur speech a lot especially if I'm overtired. I even had a customer complain one time about me, saying they thought I must have come to work drunk! When I was asked about it, I called the customer back and apologized and explained that I have an illness that can sometimes cause confused speech and they must have caught me on a bad day, but I would understand if they would like to deal with another consultant in the future. I'm glad I'm not the only one who has issues with this.

Old 11-12-2012, 11:37 AM   #4
(female)

sasrei7 HB Usersasrei7 HB User

Oh yah... I get that alot! Trying to say something and I end up forgetting what I was trying to say or slurr my speah or repeat what I said a bit ago lol. Its kinda.. odd but I try to joke about it. Try to atleast lol

Old 11-12-2012, 11:57 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by katnben View Post
have a question here. Today has been especially bad about trying to get my words out. I seem to be stammering and stumbling over words more so than normal today. have recently been diagnosed with fibro by rheumatologist when all other labs came back normal. I have some didficultly being able to come up with the right word but today was like I could not talk. just jabberer and made no sense. it was very embarrassing! is this normal? thanks
Hi katnben, Sorry, I DO NOT think its normal @ all or funny!! Check your blood pressure. Call dr. If on NEW medicine like neurontin or lyrica, pain medicine, muscle relaxers, sleep medicine, anti depressants, check with pharmarmacist to see which ones may cause extreme drugginess. Laughter is the best medicine, but you ARE NEWLY diagnosed with a subjective disease based on reported by the patient symptoms,not on diagnostic tests. This new development may make the dr order new tests that werent
ordered previously because you DID NOT have this symptom@ the time of diagnosis! God bless you! Ps: Do not pass this off as just part of fibro. It is NOT listed in the signs & symptoms of this debilitating disease & sometimes it is a catch all diagnosis, not always, of course. So, if your body is trying to tell you something, listen to it! Bad fibro doesnt allow people to work generally. It could be something else. Ask the doctor! In my opinion.
God bless you!

Last edited by gmak; 11-12-2012 at 12:40 PM. Reason: one letter typo, getting better!

The Following User Says Thank You to gmak For This Useful Post:
mbcarolina (01-26-2013)
Old 11-12-2012, 02:14 PM   #6
(female)

ALittleLoopy HB UserALittleLoopy HB User

One more of us chiming in with speech difficulty! I have trouble with finding the word I'm searching for (even if it's something basic, like "can you get me a .. umm .. uh.. kitchen, uh, food, uh.. wait,... uhmm not plate... " and then my hubby or kids figure out "bowl?" YES! that's it!. Embarrassing when it started, but I've learned to speak around it somewhat. I end up trying to say a word and it comes out all weird (my solution is to laugh and shake my head back and forth a bit and just say ok, I'll try again. The worst problem I have (and I was VERY comforted to see others have this too) is forgetting what the heck I was talking about mid-thought. I'll stop, and try to pull it together, sometimes ask the person I was talking to for help (repeat a couple of words I just said, may help) or most often, just tell whomever, "...ugh, I'm sorry, somehow I lost what I was trying to say mid thought! I'll let you know when it comes back." Then I try to just pretend nothing happened. If you listen closely to others, this does happen to many people, and my family keeps telling me it's no big deal, and that I sound just fine. Yeah, I feel funny about it, but am just trying to accept this is how I am now. Get over it, and move on (...just tellling myself that, not you!) Hope it helps to hear from others in the same boat!

Old 11-12-2012, 03:22 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Ummmmm...I was just going to type something but it flew out the window. I would be rich if I got a dime for all the times I either forgot a word or even a whole thought... it starts out like this... Hey! you know what (then a short pause while whoever you are talking to says no) Then I reply, neither do I and just shake my head and laugh. Those closest to me know this happens often and get my usual when it comes back to me I'll let ya know.

Old 11-12-2012, 06:43 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User

Happens to me all the time!!!! Sometimes it is so often it gets to be annoying and frustrating.

Old 11-12-2012, 08:58 PM   #9
(female)

katnben HB User

I am glad to see this happens to others. I get so frustrated. I work in a Dr office and answer the phone the same way a hundred times a day yet there are times that I just can't for the life of me remember what I'm suppose to say. its dead silence for a few seconds. augh.

Old 11-13-2012, 07:33 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi katnben,
ah on the phone just giggle and say hi i almost know where i am, what can i do for you? people will laugh and you will gift them with that laugh.
peace,
blue

Old 11-13-2012, 10:09 PM   #11
(female)

Irishree HB UserIrishree HB User

Hi Katenben,
I have had the same problem since I started to think something was wrong with me. I am very much a wordsmith. Dont ask me to do algebra...lol..but I love sords and when I cannot think of a word, definition or pronunciation. I bothers me. I never used to forget a name or phone number..I am like rain man..I knew my friends license plate numbers. Not because I tried to remember them..just once I saw them, I knew it. I knew birthdays, poh numbers anniversaries..etc. It is sad.. I am losing a lot of that. I know it is probably somewhat to do with the narcotic medication I have been on so long. so I cannot completely blame the fibro. I am also on a plethora of other meds and I am sure in there somewhere there is something that effects memory and word use. Good Luck..and as always definitely check with your doc..None of us on here are docs I dont think....lol and he should be kept abreast of all your changing physical and mental situations. Have a good night! ~ Marie

~ Ree~
~Fibromyalgia
~ degenerative arthritis
~cervical lordosis via fx of c2, c3
~acdf c4, 5
~ stiffness and joint pain in both hands and feet
~ back pain
~ diabetes
~ hypertension

Old 11-21-2012, 07:00 AM   #12
(female)

Keris01 HB User

Lmao when I read this post.
I can totally agree with you on this one.
Get words in a mucking fuddle, miss words out, put words in.
Not only in speech but also in typing, texting etc.

Last edited by Keris01; 11-21-2012 at 08:20 AM. Reason: Replied to wrong post

The following user gives a hug of support to Keris01:
catkaru (11-21-2012)
Old 11-21-2012, 08:23 AM   #13
(female)

Keris01 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluelakelady View Post
giggle, welcome to my world! yea, it's normal. you get used to it and learn to make jokes about it so you don't feel so dorky. i crack me up all the time. some of the words that come out just are too funny not to laugh about.
get your humor running and have fun with it. don't let it frustrate you. if you have an appt where you need to be able to speak write notes first so you can stay on track and sound at least half sane, giggle. hey, it makes me look so like i have my act together. giggle, and i don't!
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. favorite things to say. english is my second language, i'm gonna learn to talk tomorrow, did i say that? what a trip!, does that make sense? and, oops i had a brain fart! giggle.
Lmao when I read this post.
I can totally agree with you on this one.
Get words in a mucking fuddle, miss words out, put words in.
Not only in speech but also in typing, texting etc.

Old 11-21-2012, 08:39 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

I use to get that alot. I even went onto adderall to help with the cognitive portion and give me energy. However, when they diagnosed my thyroid properly and prescribed cytomel in addition to the synthroid; my cognition improved greatly and I was able to get off of the adderall. Make sure your thyroid is tested properly and treated if needed. Also, like someone mentioned that blood pressure and other things can contribute to it too.

Old 11-21-2012, 09:44 AM   #15
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Keris! I just had to comment on your reason for editing your post LMAO!!!! It's just too funny and very predictable for someone like me anyway!! ha ha ha just too funny! :0)

Low pain all,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now