It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-15-2012, 11:12 AM   #1
(female)

aannette3 HB User
Question Need Fibro Dr. in the Lafayette,La. area

Hi,
I have been dx with Fibro for 10yrs, and have gotten better then gotten bad again. Been seeing a Rheaumatoligist for this time and have been sent to pain management. I'am tired of being on opiutes, and want relief some kind of differnt way. I have tried probably everything on market. Have very sensitive body and have alot of side effects. Please help. Is there anyone around this area who could help me. Need to try something different. Soft Hugs!Theresa.,

Last edited by aannette3; 11-15-2012 at 11:14 AM. Reason: Soft Hugs

Old 11-20-2012, 08:13 AM   #2
(female)

kc1958 HB User
Re: Need Fibro Dr. in the Lafayette,La. area

Hi Aannette3 - You say you want to try other kinds of relief other than opiates. What are you looking for? What have you tried? What have your various doctors recommended?

I'm in B.R. and see a wonderful Pain Management doctor. Over the last 10 years I have tried every remedy out there for Fibro except for accupuncture (sp ?) None of them worked for me so have given in to the fact that until something else comes along that works then I'm stuck with pain medication to be able to function on a lower level. With all the medication I'm on, I never feel drugged or spacy so that is not a problem for me.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-20-2012, 01:43 PM   #3
(female)

aannette3 HB User

Hi, nice hearing from you , I have also tried everything out there and the pain meds do not make me spacey . I can function on them. I just beat myself up for having to take meds that are narcotics.I have done physical therapy and it helps somewhat, but is very expensive. My pain mangement is good I just don't want to be on these narcotics. I may feel different later, but for know I need to see if there is something else out there. I have tried everything, but I have been dx with fibro for 12 yrs now so maybe there is something else. All of the fda approved meds I have tried and had bad side effects. So just hoping for something that is probably not out there. If I find something I surely will share.
aannette.

Old 11-23-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by aannette3 View Post
Hi, nice hearing from you , I have also tried everything out there and the pain meds do not make me spacey . I can function on them. I just beat myself up for having to take meds that are narcotics.I have done physical therapy and it helps somewhat, but is very expensive. My pain mangement is good I just don't want to be on these narcotics. I may feel different later, but for know I need to see if there is something else out there. I have tried everything, but I have been dx with fibro for 12 yrs now so maybe there is something else. All of the fda approved meds I have tried and had bad side effects. So just hoping for something that is probably not out there. If I find something I surely will share.
aannette.
Hey aannette! I want to first say I am sorry that you are going through the ups and downs with your fibro. I find your story very interesting because alot of doctors that are in my area doesn't like prescribing opiates for Fibro pain. They tend to prescribe things that has to do with your nerves. Have you tried Lyrica, or Savella? That is just to name a couple that a lot of doctor's like to try first when they have a patient diagnosed with fibro. I have Lupus and I have had it for around 15 years. About 3 years ago I ended up back in the hospital (for what who knows, lupus does that to you) but after being in there for almost two weeks my primary doctor came in and said that he was diagnosing me with fibro. I said "what the heck is that" After he explained it to me. I still didn't believe I had this fibro. With my lupus, my body and immune system becomes hyperactive and it attacks my own body, tissues, and organs. So to me I just thought they didn't know what they were talking about. I said it was just the lupus. Well after a few weeks and being on a new medication called Lyrica my muscles pains did get better. And then the Rheumy explained it to me. I ended up getting the Fibro because of the Lupus. When I have a lupus flare up, it is attacking everything in my body that it can and try to destroy it. Heart, Kidneys, Liver, Skin, bones, Pancreas, Bladder, Lungs,Brain, and my CNS. So That is how I ended up with Fibro. So I know alot about Fibro and I will tell you that where I live the doctors here will tell you quick that opiates are not good for fibro pain. But I also know alot of patients that disagree. The doctors say that nerve meds are good for fibro. They try to avoid giving opiates to fibro patients. Now if you have other illness like myself, with me having lupus and other problems, a tumor, pancreatic stint, etc. I have to see multiple doctors and go through multiple procedures....Chemo, sleep studies, biopsies. I do have a pain management doctor that takes care of my chronic pain issues due to my health issues. So no matter what, I have to take opiates. But thats because I have other major issues. If you only are dealing with the fibro you may be okay without taking opiates, or at least not have to take them on a regular basis. Hopefully the doctors introduce you to Savella or Lyrica. I know it helps me and quite a few people I know that take lyrica they love it. Now I am not going to lie and tell you that it doesn't have side effects. The big side effect that I notice is Weight Gain. The people that take Savella loves it. Really it just depends on you. Talk to you doctor and keep me posted. I'll be praying for you Good Luck
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

Reply Reply