It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-18-2012, 12:21 AM   #1
(female)

Irishree HB UserIrishree HB User
I really need some support and answers if at all possible.

Hello fellow fibro friends. I swear I am NOT a complainer. Last weeks rant was a rare occasion. I've had 3 periods in 2 years after being regular my entire life. Im sure its change of life as my gyno has concurred. But it came back with a vengeance this time. Also my hair is falling out, brittle and dry and was always vibrant and very nice before and my eye lashes are falling out. Is this all normal for fibromyalgia? I had xrays and blood work last week and it showed degenerative arthritis from c spine to my coccyx and some bulging in L5/S1. and degenerative arthritis in both knees, in my left knee it's to the point of making me fall,without notice, off guard. I fell down the steps 2 times since September 3rd and in my bathroom 1 time. From these falls i've suffered a concussion, broken ribs,a twisted ankle, and i've bruised and hurt my hands horribly. On October 3rd, a few weeks ago, I was in a car accident where we were rear ended and I reinjured my neck that I had surgery on in March. I told it here before, they removed 2 discs that were severely impinging upon my spinal cord and paralyzing my right leg, c3 - c 6...they removed 4&5 and shaved down 3 &6. They replaced the discs with a titanium plate, 6 screws and wire. I am diagnosed with chronic whiplash and in the accident i whiplashed my whiplash and hurt the lower right side of my back. I'm a mess.Then in June I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist with fibromyalgia. My entre life is turned upside down from the surgery and fibro and the arthritis. Can I get my life back? Will one thing after another ever stop happening to me? I'm so confused. I can't eat, can't sleep..ive lost 70 lbs from the pain since the surgery. Plus the doc just told me I'm anemic. This is all new...does it get better? Do people stop saying..you look fine..you must be getting better? Do you ever just want to scream? And...to top it all off..my husband does not believe in fibromyalgia. He has to see proof of things to believe them. So now what? Will someone please help me through this? I have no where else to turn. This is changing me..I'm letting it change me and i dont want to. I have faith...but its hard when everything seems to keep getting worse and worse. I've never lost my faith EVER. And I wont now. I just need some support. I need to know I am not crazy. This is changing my life, no doubt. But I don't want it to change me! Thank you my friends!

~ Ree~
~Fibromyalgia
~ degenerative arthritis
~cervical lordosis via fx of c2, c3
~acdf c4, 5
~ stiffness and joint pain in both hands and feet
~ back pain
~ diabetes
~ hypertension

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Irishree
jessiesmom88 (11-18-2012), lehcar (11-19-2012)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-18-2012, 06:10 AM   #2
(female)

jessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB User
Re: I really need some support and answers if at all possible.

Ree... So sorry to hear all this happening to you. I know sometimes you just want to scream and rant and thankfully I have found this message board to learn that I am not alone in this. I keep asking myself the same thing..why do I have this and that and diabetes and I take care of myself better than my sister..etc etc..is it rotten genes? Its seems I got all the bad stuff from both my parents..diabetes, arthritis, thinning hair...high BP and I could go on and list for hours. I take handfulls of pills each day since I was in my 40's..I'm going on 55 and now my legs are starting to lock up on me..have a herniation at L5/S1 for years but now I have to seriously think about surgery
I come to this board to get support since my husband has thought I was falling apart at the seams and thinks half of it is in my head too...I recently started to nap in the afternoon..something I NEVER did my entire adult life. Kind of scares me now...after having breast cancer every little change scares the hell out of me! My hair is so brittle and is thinning so badly. Thankfully I had my vitamin D levels checked..they were low..could be the culprit! Hang in there..know you are not alone and am sending you a great big virtual hug.
If you let this change you...try for the positive changes, I know easier said than done but its all we got! Oh..and yeah..I was anemic as well with heavy periods as I entered menopause but a hysterectomy after the breast cancer took care of that for good..almost sorry I did it since now intimacy is not int he picture ..its like the Sahara Desert now really affecting my marriage. Like I need to feel worse than I already do putting alot on hubby. Ok..now I am on a rant but who ever reads it..thank you for listening! You are not alone Ree

The following user gives a hug of support to jessiesmom88:
Irishree (11-19-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 06:43 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
life sure is hard sometimes. been where you are. it takes time to adjust to the changes. i do suggest you ask your doc to test you for sjogrens. most of my eyelashes and hair are gone from it. and it affects my joints like crazy. giggle. it's sorta treatable.
all the years we thought i just had fibro i also had sjogrens but no one put all my symptoms together until i did and asked for the test.
try to hope for adapting with grace. it is all i ask of being sick.
peace,
blue

Old 11-18-2012, 07:51 AM   #4
(female)

rosesnbloom HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Irishree View Post
Hello fellow fibro friends. I swear I am NOT a complainer. Last weeks rant was a rare occasion. I've had 3 periods in 2 years after being regular my entire life. Im sure its change of life as my gyno has concurred. But it came back with a vengeance this time. Also my hair is falling out, brittle and dry and was always vibrant and very nice before and my eye lashes are falling out. Is this all normal for fibromyalgia? I had xrays and blood work last week and it showed degenerative arthritis from c spine to my coccyx and some bulging in L5/S1. and degenerative arthritis in both knees, in my left knee it's to the point of making me fall,without notice, off guard. I fell down the steps 2 times since September 3rd and in my bathroom 1 time. From these falls i've suffered a concussion, broken ribs,a twisted ankle, and i've bruised and hurt my hands horribly. On October 3rd, a few weeks ago, I was in a car accident where we were rear ended and I reinjured my neck that I had surgery on in March. I told it here before, they removed 2 discs that were severely impinging upon my spinal cord and paralyzing my right leg, c3 - c 6...they removed 4&5 and shaved down 3 &6. They replaced the discs with a titanium plate, 6 screws and wire. I am diagnosed with chronic whiplash and in the accident i whiplashed my whiplash and hurt the lower right side of my back. I'm a mess.Then in June I was diagnosed by a rheumatologist with fibromyalgia. My entre life is turned upside down from the surgery and fibro and the arthritis. Can I get my life back? Will one thing after another ever stop happening to me? I'm so confused. I can't eat, can't sleep..ive lost 70 lbs from the pain since the surgery. Plus the doc just told me I'm anemic. This is all new...does it get better? Do people stop saying..you look fine..you must be getting better? Do you ever just want to scream? And...to top it all off..my husband does not believe in fibromyalgia. He has to see proof of things to believe them. So now what? Will someone please help me through this? I have no where else to turn. This is changing me..I'm letting it change me and i dont want to. I have faith...but its hard when everything seems to keep getting worse and worse. I've never lost my faith EVER. And I wont now. I just need some support. I need to know I am not crazy. This is changing my life, no doubt. But I don't want it to change me! Thank you my friends!

Old 11-18-2012, 08:01 AM   #5
(female)

rosesnbloom HB User

Hello,
I am so sorry to hear of all your going through. Im sure the majority of us with fibro will tell you, its nothing that most of us hasnt been through. I know when I was first diagnosed years ago, Im 60 now I was diagnosed at 48 back then I was in and out of hospitals, everyone even family would say it was all in your head, till I was really breaking down.. finally a dr. came along and at least gave me a name to what i was dealing with. My hair did fall out by the handfulls. Im assuming it was due to stress which as you know can be a fatal culprit to all this. My 25 year marriage came to an end because of this disease. All the syndromes that go along with this such as the arthritis can surly make things feel so worse. I noticed you used the word FAITH.. so hold on to that and to HOPE.. Right now as we speak Im dealing with issues that are still attacking the body.
No doubt it will change your life, but as stated by one of the other members here.. with Faith, let it change you for the positive. There was a time I thought I was so weak and so negative..Im find ing out that certainly didnt help matters.
after all these years im finally finding.. Hey we must be pretty strong to endure all that we have to with this culprit Fibro. Know your being thought of and prayed for.
Rosesnbloom

The following user gives a hug of support to rosesnbloom:
Irishree (11-19-2012)
Old 11-18-2012, 08:52 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

There's not much I can really add to what the ladies above have said. But I can offer an arm for support. This ride we are on called fibro is quite the roller coaster and ever changing. Once you grasp the thought of your life never being the same you can work with it and gain some new life working with and around all that limits us.

Old 11-18-2012, 12:37 PM   #7
(female)

sasrei7 HB Usersasrei7 HB User

I am sorry to hear about all the pain you have been going threw. Have you had a full scale blood work done? Check your thyroid as well as that can also cause the hair loss/brittle issue as well as your lack of periods, some say having thyroid issues can also agrivate your fibro making it worse. Also check to see if your missing any vitamins. Fibro is really missunderstood by alot of people, even doctors have no clue whats going on which is why it is so important to have a strong support system in your life. Us here on the boards understand your pain but your hubby needs to knock it off! You were diagnosed by a doctor, its a known syndrome that can put a full stop on people's life and he needs to be much more supportive. Fibro feeds off of stress but your huge loss of weight worries me.. I know your in pain but please do eat, not eating is going to sap all your strength and just make it worse. Are you going to phsyio? Have you tried water aerobics? I hear it can be easier on the joints especially if you have arthritis. And excersise is so important with fibro. I know your recovering from surgery so rest up and take things one day at a time. I understand fully how difficult it can be especially when things hit you. Ive struggled with IBS all my life, which has prevented me from working, that and my anxiety (anxiety was one of the main things that prevented me from having a life) and now when my anxiety is finally good I get hit by fibro/cfs and chronic thyroiditis. Life isnt fair sometimes but you just have to find the good in the bad, and have faith that even when your strength is sapped and you feel like you can't get up God will carry you when you need Him to.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to sasrei7 For This Useful Post:
Irishree (01-07-2013)
Old 11-19-2012, 02:36 AM   #8
(female)

Irishree HB UserIrishree HB User

Jessies mom thank you so much. ts weird we have so much in common. I am 48 yrs old. I too have diabetes and high bp,I am on metformin for the sugar and norvasc, clonidine and metoprolol for the bp and hydrochlorothiazide for holding water . I do not smoke and havent had a real drink for years. I used to be a very social drinker. My husband and I are involved in a lot of Irish organizations and community organizations where there wer a lot of fundraiser, socials, parties...etc. All family oriented too. I have 5 children, all at home, accept one daughter who is justhome now after living in Irelnd these past 7 months and going back in August to attend University for the next 3 years. My kids have been great with me and so as my husband for the most part. But I am a mess. I have an appt at 8 am at a new pain mgmt doc. I am out of pain meds so he better come through. I haven been bounced around for a month now from surgeon to surgeon to family doc to rheumatologist to another pain mgmt doc who only does procedures. This is my last resort. Im afraid of being sick and in pain if they cannot take care of me today. I am NOT a"drug seeker" although I am hoping to get my meds today for pain..not getting a buzz! Thank you for being there for me! Have a great day! Ill keep you
in my prayers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessiesmom88 View Post
Ree... So sorry to hear all this happening to you. I know sometimes you just want to scream and rant and thankfully I have found this message board to learn that I am not alone in this. I keep asking myself the same thing..why do I have this and that and diabetes and I take care of myself better than my sister..etc etc..is it rotten genes? Its seems I got all the bad stuff from both my parents..diabetes, arthritis, thinning hair...high BP and I could go on and list for hours. I take handfulls of pills each day since I was in my 40's..I'm going on 55 and now my legs are starting to lock up on me..have a herniation at L5/S1 for years but now I have to seriously think about surgery
I come to this board to get support since my husband has thought I was falling apart at the seams and thinks half of it is in my head too...I recently started to nap in the afternoon..something I NEVER did my entire adult life. Kind of scares me now...after having breast cancer every little change scares the hell out of me! My hair is so brittle and is thinning so badly. Thankfully I had my vitamin D levels checked..they were low..could be the culprit! Hang in there..know you are not alone and am sending you a great big virtual hug.
If you let this change you...try for the positive changes, I know easier said than done but its all we got! Oh..and yeah..I was anemic as well with heavy periods as I entered menopause but a hysterectomy after the breast cancer took care of that for good..almost sorry I did it since now intimacy is not int he picture ..its like the Sahara Desert now really affecting my marriage. Like I need to feel worse than I already do putting alot on hubby. Ok..now I am on a rant but who ever reads it..thank you for listening! You are not alone Ree

~ Ree~
~Fibromyalgia
~ degenerative arthritis
~cervical lordosis via fx of c2, c3
~acdf c4, 5
~ stiffness and joint pain in both hands and feet
~ back pain
~ diabetes
~ hypertension

Old 11-19-2012, 06:10 AM   #9
(female)

jessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB User

Hi Ree...good luck at the pain management doc today. It is funny that we have all the bad stuff in common..its like my body is just turning against me. I am ok most days and learn to live with the pain which isnt all that bad unless I'm in a flare. I find soaking in epsom salts..2 cups in warm bath with lavendar oil sprinkled in for aromatherapy to relax along with a few tylenol. I am finding I can not take alot of drugs since being diagnosed I am having allergic reactions to lost of drugs or they make my head spin and heart race. All the docs I see want me off Klonopin which I went on after xanax stopped working for my severe anxiety. They want to put me on Cymbalta or some other stuff and I tried Cymbalta and got very sick. They say Klonopin is physically addicting (not like being a druggy..just bad physical withdrawal) I keep asking what is the difference...you have to taper off antidepressants too so why mess with what makes me feel normal. Its tough.
I do drink probably a bit more than I should. I like my wine and it does help me relax...hubby has a wine cellar and I guess I just go along for the ride..lol.
My daughter lived in California for a time and had a few friends whose mom 's had fibro and they were given medical marijuana and they say it helped them so much...wish they would legalize it for fibro here..I think I would join the bandwagon on that one!! You can only get it here for cancer or MS or a few others. Oh..have you tried any acupuncture? I did for a bit but it got expensive but next huge flare I think I will suck it up and go back..good luck..and thanks for your good thoughts...sending some your way too and for everyone else who has to deal with this.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: jessiesmom88
Irishree (01-07-2013)
Old 11-20-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
(female)

kc1958 HB User

Sorry to hear all you are going through...it's a long unpleasant road to walk. I was diagnosed with Fibro in 2002 and like all other Fibromites I have a long list of other issues. I have ZERO support from anyone. Everyone just ignores it like it's not there. At first I could understand it because it completely changed my life..life as I knew it ceased to exist. I was always the go-to person to get things done, if something needed fixing they called me, etc.... So it was hard for them to comprehend what happened to me but after this many years and they STILL don't understand and pretend that it's not there is quiet offending.

Yes, it does change you...how can it not? It did not change me for the better and not sure I'll ever get to a place where I once again have a positive outlook on life and people. It would be nice to have a pleasant and positive outlook but I'm not going to lie about it...it is what it is and not sure that I care anymore. I'm sure it's the depression that's playing a huge part in my attitude.

I wish you the best.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: kc1958
Irishree (01-07-2013), rosesnbloom (11-20-2012)
Old 11-20-2012, 12:26 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Pammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB UserPammyann HB User

Hugs and Prayers for you and all you are going through. Please make sure they check your thyroid carefully as that causes hair and eyelashes to fall out too. If they treat your thyroid, they will grow back and it will give you more energy too.

Best to you,
Pam

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Pammyann
Irishree (11-23-2012)
Reply Reply