It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-07-2012, 11:25 AM   #1
(female)

outtasteam2 HB User
Exercise and Fibromyalgia

Does anyone experience worsening of their symptoms after walking? It seems I have more burning, searing pain in shoulders after walking for 15 mins. Any suggestions?

Old 12-07-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
(female)

kye021 HB User
Re: Exercise and Fibromyalgia

I have fibro and I know exactly what you're talking about. Sometimes I cannot even walk for 15 minutes. Burning, aching, throbbing pains, I get the works. I avoid walking if I'm able, but if not, then I lay down for the rest of the day and take a nice hot shower to loosen my muscles. Pills and the like don't work for me, at least not what I'm perscribed.

I also have severe tendinitis in my right shoulder so I usually try to keep in in a very comfortable position, put some biofreeze and ride it through.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2012, 01:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

tmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB Usertmrots HB User

I understand too. I do try to still exercise though, I figure I am in pain whether I do or not, so I may as try to keep moving. Maybe if you just go short slow distances and work your way up to longer ones, it will be easier.

Old 12-08-2012, 03:48 PM   #4
(female)

boomer2012 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by outtasteam2 View Post
Does anyone experience worsening of their symptoms after walking? It seems I have more burning, searing pain in shoulders after walking for 15 mins. Any suggestions?
Same here.... I've tried various forms of exercise since general advice is that exercise is very helpful with the symptoms of fibromyalgia. Initially, the pain is much worse but I found that if I can ride through the pain for the first two or three weeks, all the symptoms of fibromyalgia get much better.

In order to stay feeling better I need to continue with the regular exercise but once I stop for whatever reason the pain returns and in order to get the benefit of exercise I have to go through more pain again when I start...... Vicious circle.....

Old 12-09-2012, 12:17 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

I am an advocate for exercise to help fibro and the other connective tissue disease that I have. However, when I get away from it I do have to start slow again and work my way up. I like walking, and use my treadmill for that most of the time and then take a warm shower. I also find that diet helps along with it. For me it is staying away from sugar and certain carbs. That is harder to do than exercising....giggle....I'd rather do the exercising.

Glojer
PS. I forgot to mention that I don't exercise everyday, especially when I first get started back at it. I do better every other day at least until I have really built up some stamina

Last edited by Glojer; 12-09-2012 at 12:20 PM. Reason: forgot something

The Following User Says Thank You to Glojer For This Useful Post:
boomer2012 (12-09-2012)
Old 12-09-2012, 02:03 PM   #6
(female)

boomer2012 HB User

I just started exercising after a long break and find that the pain is much worse. Thank you for very useful tips Glojer.... I go to the local "Y" and do 10 minutes on the treadmill and twenty minutes on the stationary bike. It's a supervised program and the trainer adjusts the time and the weights on the bike to individual levels. They know I have fibromyalgia and started me off slowly... no weights yet.... lol

I have not been watching the sugar/carb intake although I have to lose weight and will start after I'm used to exercising again. I understand the benefit of staying away from sugar but could you please expand the information a little bit as to what carbs you are staying away from?

I agree with you.... staying away from sugar and carbs is harder than exercising.... LOL that's why I started with the exercise first.... can't manage to do start with everything all at once...

Old 12-09-2012, 06:25 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi Boomer, good for you for going to a supervised workout. I want to start doing one at our local hospital. It is relatively inexpensive and they have a physical therapist check you out first and then supervised workout areas. Just haven't found the time. If I can't find the time to walk into the next bedroom in the morning and get on my treadmill for 15 or 20 min., well how am I going to find the time to drive down the road to another building. Oh and there are people there to see me.....giggle....that means I have to look decent, not with my short hair bedhead look when I first get up and try to get on my treadmill....giggle.
Ok the carbs I try to stay away from are the bad ones that add more pounds and don't digest slowly. Like potatoes, rice, pasta, and some breads. I use brown rice and whole wheat pasta and limit the number of times per month I use them. Also with potatoes, using a limited number and mostly only in homemade soups and stews. Eating those baked potatoes or mashed you usually want more things on them, as in butter, sour cream, cheese, bacon bits...you get the idea. Bread is very hard to stay away from, but I try to use a lower calorie and carb type bread. The carbs to definitely stay away from are the ones that come along with sweets as in cakes, pastries and baked goods. Those are very hard for me to resist, but I feel much better when I don't eat them at all or limit the amounts drastically. This time of year it is very hard though. For my birthday last week, my family bought a delicious 4layer white cake filled with raspberry filling between the layers and real whip cream icing, from my favorite bakery. I couldn't hurt their feelings, I had to eat some of that....giggle. Of course they are all dieting and they left all that wasn't eaten here with my hubby and I. Don't even think I didn't eat more of it....I did! Oh and don't forget cereal, especially the sugared kind is not good. There are some cereals that aren't bad...mostly in the Kashi line I think.
I do eat oatmeal, because it digest slowly and keeps me full when I have a busy day and no time to eat regularly. I even put some fruit in it, which is another type of carb, but with a natural sugar. I like a lot of different kinds of fruit and I do eat those kinds of carbs.
I think the whole thing boils down to control. Not eating what you know makes you feel bad and limiting portions of what you know you shouldn't eat, but sometimes you just have to. And keep exercising, no matter how slow or how little at first, because it does help.

Glojer

Old 12-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #8
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

I've been doing physical therapy for the last couple of months (not for fibro, I had sciatica and a bum leg) and it's really helped me to feel better. I also try to go for a walk a couple of times a week. I can't do anything terribly strenous, I'm walking just over a mile in about 40 minutes. It's not a patch on the level of exercise I USED to do, but it really helps me to sleep better. I'm thinking I'll be ready to graduate from physical therapy to a regular gym soon... physical therapy is great, but it's expensive.

Old 12-10-2012, 06:26 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi Kaji, I agree, I like PT, and it does make you feel better. It is very expensive however. Glad you are getting as much exercise as you can, I know it makes you feel better. I have to get back to mine some day. I work my way up to a couple miles on the treadmill and eventually with weights on my ankles and at an incline. Every little bit helps though no matter how slow you start.

Old 12-15-2012, 09:05 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

Fibroman HB User

I am stuck between too much stretching & I have muscle ache...too little & i'm siezing up...I cant find a happy medium. currently only doing 20min a day walks. trying to persevere with the stretching in the hope that reversal of muscle deconditioning will reduce the muscle ache. I am not doing big lots of stretching but rather constant limbering all day, I found the coindensed program in rehab too aggressive & felt better when I eased off a bit or spread it out better.

Reply Reply