It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-10-2012, 11:38 AM   #1
(female)

treach76 HB User
Help.

Hi, Im new here and was diagnosed with fibromyalgia 11/28/2012. Ive been on Gabapentin since then. I feel like it is making my pain worst. and I have weird sharp pain in my feet.! I've always had the pain in my lower (back) hips, legs, and neck. but now my arms are killing me and my (normal) pain is higher? is this right.. My doctor just up'ed my dose of Trazodone and I dont like that it has NOT helped.. I am on the gabapentin 100 mg 3 times daily,trazodone 100 mg at night for FM. topamax 100 mg daily and tramadol as needed for migraines not allowed to use for my fm pain grrr.... because it really helps.!

Old 12-10-2012, 09:12 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User
Re: Help..

Why don't you take Lyrica? It's more potent than gabapentin.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-11-2012, 02:11 AM   #3
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

You need to explain to your doctor about the increasing pain. I am sure that they can change some things. As someone posted Lyrica would be a better choice in your situation. Also with Fibro, some doctors try Cymbalta. It is a few medications that the doctor can switch you to for fibro. Let the doctor know that your pain is spreading and also getting worst. Sometimes you have to play around with different meds to see what will work best. Good luck!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010
Total Right Hip Replacement

The following user gives a hug of support to luvinmusiq:
treach76 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:04 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Maybe have your feet checked out by a foot dr. I had foot pain and what felt like bones moving around. My rheumy never throws all the new pains into the fibro bucket and sent me packing to a foot dr. Ended up being plantar fasciitis (i'm sure that's spelled wrong)

The following user gives a hug of support to WoodsWalker:
treach76 (12-11-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
treach76 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 05:36 AM   #5
(female)

treach76 HB User

nocharge,

I not sure why Im not on Lyrica, Its deff, something I'm going to talk to my Doc. about I've heard lots of goog things about it Thanks

Old 12-11-2012, 05:43 AM   #6
(female)

treach76 HB User
Wink Re: Help..

luvinmusiq,

Im so gretful for you and everyones responses...! Ya'll sure know have helped me out alot!! THANK YOU SO VERY MUCH!!!

Old 12-11-2012, 05:48 AM   #7
(female)

treach76 HB User

Woodwalker,

Ive had PF before in my right foot...! that stuff sucks!!! you cant walk your feet turn purple and the tingling ...gesh..! I cant spell I myself ..! lol..! Thank you for yor advice you all rock and have been so helpfull!!! big cheese grins on face today

Old 12-11-2012, 07:19 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Lyrica is more expensive than gabapentin. I have used it only for 3 weeks and it helped me to sleep. I see you take trazadone. With Lyrica I don't think you will need trazadone.
(I believe you take trazadone for sleep, right?).

Don't worry about Lyrica's side effects like weight gain...it goes away after a while.
It just increases your appetite so when you feel hungry just eat lot's of salads and then you feel full. THat is what I did...and I am skinny. I was just amazed it increased my appetite. But that side effects goes away or like i told you, eat salad when you feel you ate enough of the other stuff.

My doctor said that for some people gabapentin helps and for some it's Lyrica helps.
There is also cymbalta. But honestly, I think you should start on Lyrica if you have sleeping problems.

All the best.

The Following User Says Thank You to nochange For This Useful Post:
treach76 (12-11-2012)
Old 12-11-2012, 07:47 AM   #9
(female)

treach76 HB User

nocharge
Yes trazadone for sleep and I don't like it I eat a lot of salads and healthy foods anyway so I really don't worry about weight gain..! I called my doctor this morning and talked to his nurse all the posts have been so helpful. I was kinda worried about the Lyrica side effects , but non that you and others have said it a lot better I'm not worried..!

thanks so much!

Old 12-12-2012, 11:13 AM   #10
(female)

treach76 HB User

Ok y'all

I dont think my doctor is listening....!!! I told him everything and there first reaction was to think i wanted to go to a pain manangement clinic..! I said NO...!I'm not a big fan of narcotics. And that will be the absolutly last resort.. I wanted to see if there was a medication (for) fibro other than gavapentin like Lyrica exctra... I can take ? he freacking put me on a antidepressant.....???? serously? Does this sound right?

Treacha...

Old 12-13-2012, 01:37 AM   #11
(female)

luvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB Userluvinmusiq HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by treach76 View Post
Ok y'all

I dont think my doctor is listening....!!! I told him everything and there first reaction was to think i wanted to go to a pain manangement clinic..! I said NO...!I'm not a big fan of narcotics. And that will be the absolutly last resort.. I wanted to see if there was a medication (for) fibro other than gavapentin like Lyrica exctra... I can take ? he freacking put me on a antidepressant.....???? serously? Does this sound right?

Treacha...
Please don't get upset yet. I know how you feel right now but you wouldn't believe how many people have experienced the same thing you have. (almost down to every word) We as patients have our guard up so much and is so defensive with all that is going on that we assume the worst before actually knowing the doctors intentions. We all have done it one time or another. There is a lot of doctors that uses anti-depressants to treat fibro. I know a few people who had the same reactions to the doctor prescribing anti-depressants. I truly believe he is prescribing it for the fibro. But if I was you and you want to understand why you are taking anti-depressants, you should ask the doctor. There is nothing wrong with asking why are you prescribing certain medications. Most doctors don't mind explaining the reasoning behind it. If you are not sure, I would ask. But I do know that anti-depressants have been used in the treatment for fibro.
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

treach76 (12-13-2012)
The Following User Says Thank You to luvinmusiq For This Useful Post:
treach76 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 05:05 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I'm on cymbalta and have been for a few years, it's an anti depressant but it's also used to treat FM. Which did he prescribe for you?

The Following User Says Thank You to WoodsWalker For This Useful Post:
treach76 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 05:26 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

Why don't you ask him for Lyrica? I told you it's more potent than gabapentin.
It's none narcotic and you can sleep (hopefully) without sleeping pills.

If that doesn't work than you can try cymbalta but cymbalta doesn't help falling asleep so if you cannot fall asleep naturally than you will need sleeping pills.

All the best for you.

The Following User Says Thank You to nochange For This Useful Post:
treach76 (12-13-2012)
Old 12-13-2012, 07:55 AM   #14
(female)

treach76 HB User
Talking Re: Help..

Thank you everyone I will ask him why, he put me on Celexa. He wants me to try it for 3 weeks . And if it dont help then go to something else. I'm a selfpay patient, I believe Lyrica is expencive so he want to try and find something less outof pocket. as I told him I really dont carre if it helps! I will give this a try and go from there thanks yall Have a fad day!!

Treach

Old 12-14-2012, 01:00 AM   #15
(female)

Re: Help.

I am glad that you talked with your doctor. Like I told you before, there is a lot of different anti-depressant meds that are used to treat fibro. Your doctor is trying to find something that will help with the fibro that will not be as expensive because you are a self pay patient. Trust me, these meds can get pretty pricey. Well I am keeping my fingers crossed that you get the relief you deserve with this medicine and you won't have to keep suffering. In the beginning of any health diagnoses is so frustrating. You are suffering when you and your doctors are trying to find out whats wrong. Going through the different testing and everything, seeing other doctors, you are still suffering. Then after it feels like you have been suffering forever, the doctor gives you your diagnoses. You are finally like, Great now they know whats wrong lets get the treatment for it started. Because everyone body is different, the doctors have to play around and do trial and error with meds until they can find one that actually give you relief. We figure that now the doctor know whats wrong with me he can treat me so I can get better. It is very rare that the first med the doctor try on certain treatments help right away. So hopefully this one work but just in case it don't, it sounds like your doctor will keep trying until he find something that will help. I am rooting for ya!
Pancreatic Stent
Osteoarthritis
Stroke
Leukopenia
Migraines
Power Port implant 2010

treach76 (12-14-2012)
Reply Reply