It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-16-2012, 11:14 PM   #1
(female)

vian HB User
Thumbs up Best question you've ask your doc

What question (posed to a health professional) has informed you the most regarding your own health journey?

Old 12-17-2012, 06:22 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Best question you've ask your doc

can you refer me to a good head shrinker? one who knows about fibromyalgia's affect on lifestyle and mental thinking.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-18-2012, 01:51 PM   #3
(female)

vian HB User

yeh, it'd be nice to have a heads up about what parts of your lifestyle may change, etc. Good question.

Old 12-19-2012, 06:49 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

it was also a good solution. i am at total peace with my health and my life.
peace,
blue

Old 12-19-2012, 04:31 PM   #5
(female)

littledarlinTN HB UserlittledarlinTN HB User

I think first of all it is important to let your doctor know that you are aware of your body and the "strange" aches and pains and small things that go on. Let them know you want to be proactive as much as possible and not just reactive. Tell them you will be patient with them as you try to figure out the specific issues you are having and ask for their opinion on how to optimize their time. Ask what would be best for them, written questions to go over during your appointments, emails (Vandy has an email service so you can email your doctors), scheduling a "chat session" with your appointment to be able to sit and talk about all of the body issues you are having. Let your doctor know you are going to work with them as much as possible to find what works best and not leave everything in their hands to fix. This information comes from me being a nurse and seeing first hand the things that seem to help the doctors do a better job with patients. As a patient working with my docs to get a diagnosis for all of my issues, I find a list extremely helpful because I forget so much between appointments. A log of activity and limitations can help you track yourself and teach you different ways to plan activities to optimize your stamina. I am still learning. I try not to push myself but there comes times I have to. Stress is something I cannot seem to get away from and it causes me more problems - I try the meditation and stress relieving modalities you can find out there but with a 13 year old, an 11 year old and a hubby who does not work, it is up to me to get everything done. I have learned how to ask for help and do when I am in a corner but can't seem to make myself ask before it gets to that point....sorry was trying to help and ended up going on about myself.

Old 12-20-2012, 12:36 PM   #6
(female)

vian HB User

No prob. Life IS personal. To summarize though, your best question to a doc would be "How can i help you help me?" and get some practical methods that work for him/her.

Old 12-21-2012, 07:49 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

love it! i tend to say here's what you can do to help me help myself. if you have any other ideas throw them into the conversation. i have all my history on a piece of paper i carry always, make notes for each visit, take any test results i think may be of use, do my research on my questions and then take more questions. giggle.
peace,
blue
ps. it helps that i was a nurse many years ago and know how the game is played.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
vian (12-29-2012)
Reply Reply

Tags
encephalopathy, immune disease