HealthBoards

HealthBoards (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/)
-   Fibromyalgia (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/)
-   -   Just Diagnosed, Looking for People Who Understand (http://www.healthboards.com/boards/fibromyalgia/932201-just-diagnosed-looking-people-who-understand.html)

JensterPenster 12-18-2012 03:05 PM

Just Diagnosed, Looking for People Who Understand

Hi all,

My rheumatologist diagnosed me with fibromyalgia yesterday. I had suspected this for years now -- particularly the past two or so, when my "flares" have come more frequently and intensely.

I haven't had a good night's sleep in months and months. I have such pain to pressure along my hips, outer pelvis, buttocks, and legs that I cannot get comfortable when lying or sitting. It became so intense that I had to remove the duvet cover from my down comforter, because the weight literally HURT me.

On top of the daily pain and discomfort, I have tinnitus in both ears. The constant intrusion of pain and perceived ringing has left me rather depressed. I'm not yet 40, but I feel 80 sometimes.

My husband is sympathetic and concerned, but I worry that he feels overwhelmed and powerless to help me (and truthfully, he IS powerless to do anything to fix me) -- and so I try my best not to complain too much to him and make cause his further worry.

So that's why I'm here. Just to vent to people who get what I'm describing, and who've traveled this path longer than I have and can perhaps give me a little insight, advice & encouragement.

I'll begin taking Cymbalta today, and am hoping it works for me. I am generally very sensitive to meds (whenever a dr touts a med as having fewer than 1% of patients experiencing adverse reactions, I raise my hand and say, "Yeah -- I'm that 1%.) -- so I take this new one with some reservations and low expectations.

In any case, thanks for reading.

luvinmusiq 12-19-2012 01:39 AM

Re: Just Diagnosed, Looking for People Who Understand

Hello and Welcome!!! You have come to the right place for people who can relate to what you are going through. I am a patient of fibro as well as other illnesses. I am sorry to hear that you are not doing the best. I know how bad that pain can get in the beginning. Your doctor is going to try to prescribe the best medicine for your case of fibro. Just like any other disease, not everyone fibro has the exact symptoms. So when taking this meds the best thing to do is keep a pain journal so that you can monitor how well the medicine is working. I know with me there were a few different meds that the doctor tried before really finding one that helps. There is a lot of meds that trest fibro including anti-depressants. I know it is frustrating but things will get better as long as your doctor keep trying to help. Also have you tried different topical creams? I would ask the doctor about it. I have been on cymbalta before. It just wasn't a good match for my body. That doesn't mean that it wont work well for you. Give it a try. Also, I know the pain really gets bad but if at all possible, you should try to do exercises because it really does help. That way your body is still active. There will be times where you can't do anything and need to rest. Being depressed when first getting diagnosed with fibro is very very normal. Since you just started taking the Cymbalta I would give it a week or two and see if you feel a difference. If not, you should call your doctor and let them know. Hope this works and you start feeling better soon. Keep us informed.

thefarm 12-19-2012 12:02 PM

Welcome! You came to the right place! :)
Luckily you have finally been diagnosed so you can get the treatment you need. You'll learn how to control it in time.
Please be careful with cymbolta. I had issues with it, especially going off it... Really shouldn't have it on the market...
Once you have your pain more under control you will sleep better & that will also help the pain :) Have your Rhum prescribe you a muscle relaxer. I'm on Cyclobenzapr (Flexeril) & works great! I can take it between doses of Tramadol during the day & it helps with pain. Won't make me sleepy or anything. Then I can take it at bed time & I'll be asleep in 20 mins :) Some people do well with melatonin. For me it'll put me asleep but I'll was up every hour... I give it to my daughter for sleep though.
I know it sux to be young & feel so old... I've had probs since I was 18, I'm 32 now & the last few yrs have been really bad. I hardy leave my couch & doesn't take much for me to over do it. But I have something else going on that's making the pain & fatigue worst & causing vomiting. Once I get that figured out & control I'll be able to live alittle...
My husband had a hard time with it also. He made it harder for me for awhile... Still does sometimes...
Anyhow... You are in the right track! You also came to the best place for help & support! I don't know what I would have done a few yrs ago when pain set in & I finally had answers. Coming here helped more than any dr could.

Pammyann 12-19-2012 01:08 PM

Welcome and I am sorry you have this fibro thing, and it will take awhile to figure out what helps. I take both Lyrica and Cymbalta and they control my pain quite well. I too was sensitive to drugs and had to try a few before I got to this combo. I also manage it others ways as well. I exercise (water aerobics are the best for me) eat healthy, drink lots of water, take vitamins, avoid/limit sugar, caffeine and alcohol. Make sure you get good sleep as that will help a lot too.

My best to you,
Pam

littledarlinTN 12-19-2012 05:13 PM

Welcome! I am working with my docs to get a diagnosis but this board has been so helpful to me. Just knowing I am not alone is a comforting thought. I tried many of the different meds and am on a combo of Cymbalta, Indocin, verapamil melatonin and vit E. I can definitely tell when I have not had enough water. I used to berate myself for how I was feeling, thinking it was all in my head and since the docs would tell me there was nothing wrong that they could find or it was menopause so get used to it...feeling down on myself for believing it now! lol I am working with a neuro and a pain mgt doc. Had trigger point injections today and an occipital nerve block (headaches are the thing that gets me down right now) asked the pain doc his opinion on the fibro. He seemed to think exercise daily and NO narcotics was the best treatment. He said to find a support group so I would have people to talk to ... told him I had a wonderful support group on a message board and have learned so much more from them than anywhere else. Glad I found you guys and hope everyone is having a good day!.