It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-12-2013, 09:05 AM   #46
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: This may be the time... coming off Cymbalta

My mental state is stable (some that know me might argue it never was lol)
Mood has been good with only minor snaps, actually less quick attitudes than the past few years. I'm feeling that cymbalta maybe even made me have less ability to deal with things that mattered, kind of an emotional cripple..hard to explain

But I'm feeling like I am headed to a much better place emotionally and fibro is stable. Guess it really did not do much for my fibro, but really did help my back. Not enough to go back tho.

Counting those stupid little balls now that the numbers are getting up there is not so much fun. next week it's 55 out. It may be easier to count what stays in soon. Wonder of anyones ever counted to see exact number of little balls in a 20 mg cap...hmmmmm

Old 02-12-2013, 09:21 AM   #47
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hi WW, I wonder if they have the same number of little balls in each cap. Do you think sometimes there are a few more or less and maybe a few more or less of the different colors. Don't think to hard on that, it kind of hurts my brain......giggle!
Thanks for the seasonal warning. I am ahead of the curve this year, got a new PCP. So far she is a good one, I really like her. Is checking out something that none of the others I have had in the last few years even noticed. You know the saying....you have to kiss a lot of frogs....well I kissed enough and my lips are green...giggle. Off to sit with the 4yr. old and 10mo. old. Hope the little one takes a nap most of the time, he is trying to walk and he is in constant motion these days.
Bummer about the IBS, but so glad to hear getting off this med is working for you.

Glojer

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-13-2013, 09:00 AM   #48
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hello again ww,
hey i sure am glad you are finding yourself again. the only time i tried meds of that nature was years ago and they made me so sad and felt unbalanced mentally. it's a trip when you stop something only to realize it was making matters worse in the long run rather than better. time tells all.
it would be a hassle but maybe counting all of those little buggers would make it easier when you reach beyond half. glojer, the same ammt in every pill? you gotta be kidding. no way. saw a documentary on how meds are made. we take some chances every time we take a pill. have fun with the rugrats.
i have decided in light of my sons behaviour and my changing health to do a surprise visit to my mom. in july. my daughter jessica is paying for the hotel and i am covering the airfares and car storage. time to say goodbye before i get too skinny i scare her. her health is declining and she is 80 now.
i have not seen my mom in over 7 years. when i took care of her after her strokes.
sunshine!!!!! have a great day all and get artistic my artistic sib! i am gearing up to paint again. hey cleaning the space counts. giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 02-13-2013, 09:36 AM   #49
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Glo, you go girl, keeping up with 2 I'm tired thinking about it. Good for you finding a keeper of a doc. you found the needle in the haystack!
COUNTING ALL THE BALLS, yes it's confirmed you are crazier than me! One day I may get ambitious and count a few weeks worth to see how close I'm getting to be done with this crap.

Sis, sounds like getting things in order to me. are you saying goodbye because of her health or yours? maybe both. Either way it will be an emotional healing of sorts.
The juices are flowing, always make time for creativity regardless of life. It keeps me sane and my mind off of pain.

If any of you are thinking about getting off cymbalta, this is a pain in the but counting the little balls. But so worth it to avoid any of those horrid withdrawal issues we read about. It's definitely a slower method but a less painful way to go about it. Part of me wants to just stop from here mainly out of getting impatient to be done, but I'll keep counting little balls for another month is my guess. My goal is to be off Cymbalta completely before summer time (June?).

Old 02-13-2013, 02:59 PM   #50
Senior Veteran
(female)

Glojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB UserGlojer HB User

Hello friends, Well I survived the rugrats. The 10mo. old slept most of the time. That trying to balance and take a few steps and falling down on his bottom really wears him out. Had such a good time with the 4yr. old.....but....found out he is sick with that NORO virus that is going around like wildfire. He loves his grammy though, he waited till his mommy got home to barf.....giggle. He was in the bathroom barfing and he yells out, "mommy call my doctor I'm sick." His mom and I looked at each other and busted out in laughter. She of course was trying to help him and give him comfort, but oh too funny. It won't be so funny if I get it and start barfing myself in a few days. I see them again tomorrow....Valentines party at school for the 10yr. old, mommy volunteered to help.
WW, you have more patience and determination than I do, taking out those little balls for another month. I am sure it will be worth it. I can't imagine the side effects coming off something like that. I don't metabolize certain drugs like that so I don't usually take them. I'm still pulling for you, sending positive thoughts your direction.
Blue, I can't think of another thing better that you could do than visit your mom. Has it been 7yr.s since her stroke....Oh my have we been HB buddies and friends that long.
Take care everyone and hang in there WW.

Glojer

Old 02-17-2013, 09:22 AM   #51
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi ww,
how is it going girl? been a few days now. thought it was time to check in on you my artistic friend.
peace,
blue

Old 02-17-2013, 10:36 AM   #52
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi sis, It's going. How 'bout you??
The week has been fairly uneventful other than mondays ibs. My energy is starting to stabilize and has dropped a little bit. But I really enjoyed those hyper moments, still only napping about twice a week. I love that because it's from real fatigue and not a drug induced daily crash. Relearning how to deal with the back pain cymbalta was hiding. I think i'll live thru it, but it may make me reconsider surgery after time.
I've been creative playing with all my wood art toys.

Tomorrow begins a new dose drop so my afternoon today will be spent counting, by the time I'm done with this I'll likely have nightmares about getting buried in little white balls. I'll be paying attention to my stomach and see if it's really the decrease causing issues or just coincidence. If the ibs flares again I'd say it's the drop in dose causing it.

Hugs to you

Old 02-17-2013, 04:08 PM   #53
Senior Veteran
(female)

Still pulling for you WW. Sending positive energy your direction.

Old 02-17-2013, 04:40 PM   #54
(female)

Soulfullone HB User

Hooray girl! The best thing I ever did was get off Cymbalta - I had gained 40 pounds and was sweating all the time. For me the physical discomfort is far superior to the daily life ow sweating and feeling fat!

Old 02-18-2013, 10:18 AM   #55
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soulfullone, if I lose 40 pounds I'd be dancing. But part of me doesn't think it's cymbalta causing my weight issues. That started when I quit smoking, my metabolism dropped and never really came back.
I hear you on the sweating, that is just one of the most miserable side affects from cymbalta i had. As my dose is dropping I'm finding I can tolerate temps above 65 without breaking out into a dripping sweat. Still sweat but it's not dripping uncontrollably. I'm hoping I can enjoy the summer again. Thanks for the cheers and support.

And of course thanks Sister Blue and my buddy Glo.

My drop is a little bigger this week went from removing 40 to 57-58 and sunday to 60. Next Sunday will be 80 removed. It's starting to look like I'm about half way there in the 20mg cap. I just might count 1 or 2 full caps to see how many, curiosity is getting the best of me.

So far today the stomach is behaving but spasms and tics started yesterday in my right shoulder and arm, just normal FM crap so far. I'll keep am eye on it.

Sending warm wishes to all.

Old 02-18-2013, 04:12 PM   #56
(female)

Soulfullone HB User

WW,

I did not lose the weight just by going off the Cymbalta. I worked at it mostly by Weight Watchers. However, prior to getting off the Cymbalta no matter how good I was on Weight Watchers the scale would not budge! I was also using the Cymbalta for dpression. I am now on Welbutrin, which was originally developed to help people stop smoking. I found that the weight seemed to come off easier with the Welbutrin and it also kept my midnight cravings in check and enabled me to easily maintain the lost weight I wonder if it did help my metabolism too. I never had that checked out. Considering that you stopped smoking also, maybe you should ask your doctor if that would be a good possibility for you. Cymbalta is also an anti-depressant and considering all you are going through, I think it might help you ease the heaviness on your shoulders. I also think it helps with addictive tendencies in general and I am a Licensed Mental health Counselor.

Thank you for confirming that the sweating was not all in my mind and it was due to the Cymbalta. Summer's used to be hell for me and it is so much easier now.

Half way there - way to go girl!

Keep up the great work,
Soulful

Old 02-18-2013, 07:09 PM   #57
Senior Veteran
(female)

Soulful, I remember way back to when I first started getting hot flashes my GP at the time wanted to prescribe me an antidepressant to help with the hot flashes and sweats. I cant recall which it was. From everything I know now I'm glad I refused. I dealt with all that naturally.
The sweating from cymbalta made my menopause sweats look like nothing.

I actually feel more mentally and emotionally stable than I have in a few years. My mood has improved and also my thinking process is clearer and I have the ability to concentrate. Even my husband commented on how the cymbalta was messing with my head. He is 100% behind me getting off it.

As for the weight, three cheers for you, it's lots of work loosing it. Both myself and husband have given thoughts to do the WW thing. It's been many years since either of us have smoked and our waistlines show it.

Old 02-19-2013, 01:00 AM   #58
(female)

Soulfullone HB User

WW,

I am so pleased to hear of your mental clarity and focus. I was born chubby and for what it is worth I live a modified Weight Watcher's existence all the time. I really like the program as it enables you to eat what you really want but in moderation and teaches you portion control. To this day I still measure my rice, pasta, cooking oil, chicken, etc. The first few weeks are hard but when you get the hang of it then it does get easier. What I found the real trick for me was to always allow a few points for dessert every night. This way I never felt totally deprived and it kept me from binging at night and at parties. Sometimes now i will go to places like Thanksgiving and put one teaspoonful of every dessert on my plate. This way I have tasted everything and do not feel like I am missing anything. Also if I am at say a birthday party and am handed a piece of cake, I take a bite and ask myself is this really the best chocolate cake I have ever eaten? If so, I may have some but 9 out of 10 times that gives me the motivation to just throw the plate away. If I am going to cheat I want to cheat with the best or it is not worth it! Best of luck as I know it is a lifelong issue.

Sincerely,
Soulful

The following user gives a hug of support to Soulfullone:
WoodsWalker (02-19-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to Soulfullone For This Useful Post:
WoodsWalker (02-19-2013)
Old 02-19-2013, 10:16 AM   #59
(female)

treach76 HB User

WoodsWalker,

Hi Darlin I'm haven't been on here In a while due to a death in my family but at any rate, I wanted to stop by and see how you have been faring. I am so happy to see your doing so well!!! I've thought of you and your sis alot in the last few weeks. I've read and caught up on your post and am happy to see your getting real energy back.. ! Hope this last month goes easy on you I'm cheering for you girl good luck!!!

Treach

Old 02-20-2013, 11:53 AM   #60
Senior Veteran
(female)

WW, just letting you know I'm thinking of you everyday and sending positive thoughts your direction. Stay with it girl.....send that little devil my direction if he starts bothering you to go fast and get it over with. I'll put him outside and let him get covered with the ice storm we are suppose to have. I hear you on the weather thing bothering your pain. We have been going through the same thing here....it is a bummer!
Glojer

Reply Reply