It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-06-2013, 10:58 AM   #76
Veteran
(female)

mom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB Usermom477 HB User
Re: This may be the time... coming off Cymbalta

It has never helped with my pain only depression and it has stopped helping with that. Also found out I have PTSD. I have been on it since 2010 and there were 1 time that I had stopped taking it after a year and had only dizziness as a side effect.

Ive been doing a lot of research and getting more in tune with my body with what helps etc etc. I have gone gluten free and changed my diet drasticly and it has helped me a lot. Im wanting to go more homeopathic and get away from pharmacuticals.

My pain has become more manageable aside from 1 time for a week I was in bad shape. Im just tired of taking tons of meds

Old 03-06-2013, 12:35 PM   #77
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I hear you on the tons of meds. But now I take a ton of herbal and vit/mineral supplements. If you feel it's the right thing for you without hesitation , I encourage getting off the cymbalta, it wasn't doing half of what I thought it was for me. I hate the way that stuff messed up my head let alone all the other sides i was getting

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-06-2013, 07:59 PM   #78
(female)

Elmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB UserElmbabies3 HB User

Definitely!! I am better mentally for sure since I stopped taking it. When I was on it I did have somewhat decreased pain. But I also wanted nothing at all to do with my husband and just felt emotionally numb. I didn't really feel joy. I was also super spacy. Which I can be at times anyway, but it was on overload!! I couldn't remember what I was doing one moment to the next. And I was sooo tired all the time.

When I quit I felt like my head "cleared" I felt like myself again. The pain? Well it went CRAZY!!! The pain got so bad when I went off of it that it tricked me into thinking the med was doing more than it actually was. I went back on it at on it at one point. But the S/E made me quit for good! As the med left my body more and more the pain settled into my norm. I think that the increase in pain had to be withdrawal.

And yes! I would recommend to anyone wanting to come off of Cymbalta to do it as slowly as your patience will allow. The brain zaps are the worst and I've heard that you can avoid them by titrating super slowly. I didn't even know what they were and thought it might be part of fibro until I started researching Cymbalta more. It was too late for me by that point. But you are doing the right thing!

Old 03-07-2013, 05:40 AM   #79
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Spacy is an understatement at times. I did some really bonehead things that amazed even myself. The looks from others like you can't really be that forgetful or that big of an airhead. I believe that had to of had something to do with me loosing my job (permanent lay off they called it) and not even having a chance of being called back. At least they allowed me unemployment and an extra month of health ins.
I'm not even completely off yet and I feel the difference in my thought processes, emotions etc.

I have read so much on the brain zaps but never even a slight explanation of what they feel like. Still trying to figure that out
When I was starting cymbalta with the first dosage increase I had what I'd describe as the sound of a big electrical transformer buzzing loud and deep inside my head, so much so that I could almost feel the vibration in my brain. hard to explain exactly. I know it happened once for sure, maybe 2 times. Myself, I'd consider that a zap! That there should have been my first clue this wasn't any ordinary drug and should have run away from it then.

Old 03-07-2013, 02:44 PM   #80
(female)

Consider yourself lucky you don't know what they are! You are dealing with enough to not have to have those added into the mix, lol. I've heard them described differently but for me, if I turned my head ever so slightly it felt as if an electrical current traveled up my spine and shocked my brain. It would leave me unable to really think for a bit. I didn't want to move. Like I said, I really thought this was a fibro thing because it came on with the big increase in pain when I quit the cymbalta. It wasn't until I was off the drug for a few weeks that I read about the symptoms of coming off of it. Eventually they lessened in frequency and severity and have now pretty much stopped.

It does sound like that is what you experienced in the beginning though. And by going off so slowly the way you have you have probably avoided them with going off the drug!!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:09 AM   #81
Senior Veteran
(female)

So yesterday I forgot to take the cymbalta lol (must be my minds way of saying enough already!). Remembered half way thru the day and figured it was to late to bother with it. Curious, how long after not taking it would any type of withdrawal show up. I wish that I did not have to be functional for the next week or so or I'd just stop taking it now.

Old 03-08-2013, 06:16 AM   #82
(female)

For me, the symptoms showed up not the day of my first missed pill but the next day. I've read that some people have symptoms within hours of the missed dose. That wasn't me. Maybe because I have such a hard time remembering my meds that I took them whenever I remembered and not at the same time each day. I'd say if you are gonna have any crazy symptoms you should be feeling them now!!

Old 03-08-2013, 06:46 AM   #83
Senior Veteran
(female)

makes me go hmmmm...I'm thinking...yeah that usually gets me in trouble. Get thru next week and weekend and I'm going to test the waters to see what happens.

Old 03-08-2013, 07:20 AM   #84
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

sending my floaties to you dearest. dive in and see. want i should be in there waiting? giggle. if wishes were fishes. only a few thousand miles away, right?
peace and no pill!
blue

Old 03-09-2013, 07:22 AM   #85
Senior Veteran
(female)

Thank you ladies for the encouraging support. Elm , you've been a big help with your experiences.

Guess it looks like that's my plan. 1 more week and I'm going to test the waters. If I do get withdrawal symptoms I'll just jump back on with the plan I'm on titrating slowly.
My best guess is right now it's at 10 mgs and will drop again monday. So by the following monday I'll skip it and see what happens.
The day I forgot one (Thursday), that next morning I woke up feeling a little less drugged and could actually feel it working my brain as it reentered my body yesterday. It was kind of spooky.

Old 03-09-2013, 07:44 AM   #86
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi you,
is it possible your sensing it within is your sign to stop, look and listen to your body? that is really creepy sounding. like make my skin crawl creepy spooky. i do not think i would like that feeling, no i do not. hugs sib.
elm you have been awesome to read along with. i was glad to see ww have one person who really had it down to be here to bounce things off of and get feedback.
sure glad i never said yes to any of this med!
peace,
blue

Old 03-09-2013, 12:15 PM   #87
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Woods! I agree with what Blue said. I would certainly not want to have that kind of feeling. Maybe it is time to stop now and see what happens. Whatever you decide to do please know you are in my nightly prayers for my Fibro Friends.

Low Pain All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 03-09-2013, 12:46 PM   #88
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hey sis, yes I'm sensing it's time to stop. And it was creepy crawly the way i felt it working my brain. Can't wait to get off this garbage.

Cat, I'd love nothing more than to stop today! but I have to be functional this coming week and next weekend and can't chance getting knocked on my a$$. To much to do. It's one of those weeks that I can't just lay around. So have to settle for a week from this coming monday, then if it causes withdrawl I'll have time to deal with it. My gut is telling me i will be ok but just can't chance if if my gut is wrong.
Thanks for your thoughs

Old 03-10-2013, 07:55 AM   #89
Facilitator
(female)

you know your body best so you do it your way girl. whatcha up to???? something fun i hope? functional??? i know i have heard that word before . . . what could it mean??? giggle.
it's spring time here!!!
peace,
blue

Old 03-15-2013, 08:16 AM   #90
Senior Veteran
(female)

been a busy week, dropped another 30 balls out of the cap. A total of 120 or so , some may have a few more out. This drop is going good with no new issues. This coming Monday I'll stop completely...finally! There are not many balls left.. by visual inspection (i'm tired of counting those little buggers) Looking forward to Monday.

Hope you are all having a low pain week.

Reply Reply