It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-19-2013, 04:03 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User
Has anybody had counselling?

I know fibromyalgia is 'real', it's not that I think I'm crazy... but I'm having trouble coming to terms with it and I'm wondering (thinking) that it might help me to see a counsellor. It's tough to have an illness that you aren't entirely sure isn't all in your head! It was good to have somebody say 'this is what's wrong with you', but now what? Knowing the cause doesn't make it any easier to cope with the erraticness of the symptoms, and I'm still more than half inclined to think that I'm making a fuss over nothing... know what I mean? It doesn't help that I've dealt with anxiety and agoraphobia and other emotional issues and my primary 'tool' was to TELL myself that they were all in my head and I could think them away and to make myself act as much as possible like a 'normal' person however I felt on the inside...

Old 01-19-2013, 07:33 PM   #2
(female)

Alm111106 HB User
Re: Has anybody had counselling?

Counseling is a great way to talk to an impartial ear so to speak. I am a fan of it myself. We aren't crazy we just live in an unforgiving world that thinks if you don't exhibit real or obvious symptoms or have labs/xrays it cant possibly be *real*. So their ignorance creates a pseudo insanity for us. it is a good idea... hope you find a great therapist!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-20-2013, 06:02 PM   #3
(female)

jessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB User

The trick is to find the "right" therapist or counselor. Years ago I sought help when my 13 yr old daughter was diagnosed with leukemia..3 different therapists said they had no experience with traumatic illness. One woman even told me that if I needed to come into her office to just vent and cry that she would help...yeah..help her wallet maybe! I had breast cancer 5 years ago and now volunteer in the center where I was treated..FINALLY the medical community is recognizing the need for emotional support for illness. My daughter has her undergrad degree in psychology and is going to major in "health psychology" which is what we with fibro need!! Dont get me wrong..going for therapy is great if you can take away some modalities that will work for you....ask alot of questions first to find out if a therapist is capable of handling "health issues". Its even harder for us fibro patients when our own Dr's cant wrap their heads around the physical and emotional elements of our "disease".

Old 01-20-2013, 07:25 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi I've been dealing with that and it's underlying causes since 2000 when I was diagnosed but know that I had since I was a child just by reading and things. Way I look at ok I've got there's nothing they can, I've got to learn to take it easy by do little each day.

I find water aerobics are best when I can find a pool warm enough like 84 or 85.

Yes it will cause other things to happen and I just have to take those as they come. I tried a counselor but she was clueless to fibro. I think a support group is the best and those you can find. Good luck! Cathy

Old 01-21-2013, 07:39 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
i had a great guy i saw for 7 years. we worked on coping skills and adapting to change. he gave me great tools i use today. imaging meditations. walking meditations. how to breath when i am in discomfort. how to set and hold boundaries. how to not need people to understand. how strong i am and finding that source of neverending power within.
i am very happy with my life and now have a few other goodies in my health that could have derailed me emotionally but they have not. i adapt.
i just needed new tools to cope with this everchanging body and keep life as simple as possible. have not seen anyone in over 10 years. he was the best. look for life skills with illness not fibro specifically. fibro shrinks crack me up. i tried a couple.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 01-21-2013, 08:23 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Kaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB UserKaji HB User

Sounds like that's the sort of thing I'm looking for too... the coping skills I learned earlier in life don't adapt well to living with fibromyalgia, and I can't stop questioning myself. I emailed one therapist last week but just got the response that I should call them. Ugh. I HATE phones and I was trying to avoid that... email is much less threatening for simple things like insurance queries (I was trying to find out of she took insurance before I went any further.) Oh well, today's a holiday, so I'll have to steel myself to do it tomorrow.

The following user gives a hug of support to Kaji:
noevr (01-21-2013)
Old 01-21-2013, 12:59 PM   #7
(female)

dfwmom HB User

We found that pain management counselling, such as CBT (cognitive behavioral therapy), as part of an overall pain management program, was helpful. Training on self hypnosis, biofeedback and specific guidance on how to remain productive in the presence of pain was helpful.

General counselling such as individual or family counselling was not helpful. In fact, general counselling was detrimental. It cost time, energy and money, and was an exercise in wandering down the rabbit hole. And, many counselors don't "believe" in fibromyalgia, which can affect the quality of the counselling services that they provide.

If you have a specific family issue, such as "My husband has no understanding of how severe my illness is and we are about to get divorced over it", and you can find a competent counselor who understands chronic pain, counselling *might* be helpful. Otherwise, counselling could add enough additional strain to your relationship to make that divorce a reality. It's a crap shoot. The only way to know for sure is to go for a few sessions, take it with a grain of salt, and then assess whether your counselor is an idiot, or whether you feel there is some improvement resulting from your sessions.

Old 01-22-2013, 07:20 AM   #8
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

i am glad you are reaching out. hey you are going to have to do the phone thing. how else will you get a feel for the person and place? can't get that on email. are phones an anxiety for you?
it did wonders for me. i have never regretted one moment spent nor the funds. gary was worth every moment of my time. life is so easy for me now. i do not question my thinking, i trust it. sure i think alot of weird things but now i have the tools to laugh at myself when i do it. i really do think some strange thoughts sometimes. giggle. i guess we all do till we find our peace. now i question doctors and trust myself. much better balance.
happy hunting and if the first one feels wrong keep shopping around. and ask friends, that's how i found gary. word of mouth.
peace,
blue

Old 01-23-2013, 02:26 PM   #9
(female)

popsickletoes HB Userpopsickletoes HB User

I have been surprised by the effectiveness of Passionflower for sleep and muscle relaxation. It is low cost at my local health food store. You know how it is when you have fibro. Anything is worth a try. Gentle hugs.

Reply Reply