It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-25-2013, 07:01 AM   #1
(female)

bha320 HB User
Elevated CRP, beta globulins, and sed rate

Hello,

I was dx "fibro" 7 years ago based on a collection of symptoms that couldn't be explained by other issues due to negative autoimmune panels, though as time has passed my symptoms do not appear to be fibro. Ex- I do not have the tender points, depression, IBS, malaise, etc. I DO have several neurological issues and joint problems, facial nerve pain, plus HSV (chronic cold sores).

I am currently a diagnostic patient at Mayo- undergoing testing for MS and confirming my trigeminal neuralgia, plus a consult for rheumy in March. In addition to this I consulted with an infection control doc who rx'd daily valtrex for my cold sores.

One thing that is lingering is the fact that my CRP and sed rate have been consistently high during these last seven years and within last two years my beta globulins have been high and creatinine low. I have been tested for multiple myeloma and tested negative two years ago. My ANA, SS, scleroderma, and RH factor are all negative. This is quite perplexing. I am apparently in a chronic state of unspecified inflammation. According to all mainline teaching hospitals and diagnostic centers- in fibro only these lab values do not go into abnormal ranges.

So, do any of you have consistently high lab values in either of these categories as related to ONLY fibro? Or have you had high levels at one point then later developed abnormal levels in specific panels for lupus, sojgrens, scleroderma, rheumatoid arthritis, etc?

Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-25-2013, 08:45 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Elevated CRP, beta globulins, and sed rate

hi and welcome,
yea, me. turned out to be sjogrens. i had to do my own research and demand the blood work but i was right. i tried their meds and won't take them either. i have one count no one seems to understand fully. after asking 4 doctors of mine. its my thyroid perox autoab. i am pushy so "we" monitor it once a year. it's supposed to be below 35 and my last one was just below 800.
all i can offer is be persistant, do research and then go tell your doc to order whatever blood work or testing to rule out or in whatever you are looking for. after 15 years of always going a bit backwards it's nice to know what requires regular testing and what i can let go of. i test every 2 years for r.a. lupus,lymphatic cancer, etc. so far doing pretty good, giggle.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 01-25-2013, 10:12 AM   #3
(female)

bha320 HB User

Thanks for your input!

What is silly of me is that in my research of lookign at my health issues I never thought to question these labs all these years! Guess that is what I shall do now. It seems a large percentage of patients with AI conditions often goes YEARS before an accurate dx is established...

Hope you're well today.

Oh, btw, was it your sed or CRP or both that was elevated? I am finding most info on elevated sed rates, not so much on mistaken elevated CRP rates, but it could be unrelated in most conditions.

Old 01-26-2013, 08:52 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
all my counts are high, giggle. i went 15 years without knowing why. no doc could figure it out. i did my research and got the blood work and walah! an answer. i am a blood talk to me girl. it's just finding the right testing for you. i do bloods every 4 weeks for a few issues that require constant monitoring as it changes and i have to alter meds every 4 weeks. get copies of all the blood tests you have had in say 10 years and do some reading. i just went thru mine again and had some "been awhile" blood tests done to make sure i'm still okay with those issues.
to me my blood is the voice of what my body is doing within.
peace,
blue

Old 01-26-2013, 09:15 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I agree that these lab markers are not elevated in fibro only, so something unidentified is going on. It would be helpful to know how high the lab results are, and what your kidney, liver, blood count and thyroid levels are. Beta globulins can be high in chronic inflammation, which you apparently have, but also in liver, kidney, thyroid disease, and anemia, which I would think the Mayo Drs have looked at.
I never had high markers of anything, but had definite symptoms of autoimmune disease for 10 years before being diagnosed with lupus. There is a newer, more sensitive blood test, called AVISE-SLE that tests for lupus, which you may want to ask for. Any low complement levels? Anti-thyroid antibody levels? Elevation of those would indicate Hashimoto's thyroiditis, an autoimmune thyroid disease that often accompanies other autoimmune problems. I hope the Mayo gets to the bottom of this for you. I know the frustration of having problems that can't be identified for so long. It wears out your patience and state of mind. Just a PS to Blue Lake Lady, anti-TPO antibodies that high would indicate Hashimoto's. Are these really misunderstood by 4 of your Drs?

Old 01-26-2013, 10:40 AM   #6
(female)

bha320 HB User

Hello and thanks,

I think part of the issue is that I am not very high on my abnormal highs- for example my sed rate consistently hovers around the 30's- which is not very high but after seven straight years it seems a bit odd. Also, my CRP now at 10.3, still high, has been up to 12 or 14 at times. My beta globulins are at 1.3, high, but just barely. My creatinine is low at 05, but that is barely low. In other words- I am just barely out of range- yet this is a consistent out of range which is why I am curious it hasn't been addressed. Really, I think I should've pushed for it to be of more concern but I have been tending to other issues related to neurological problems.

My blood tests were ordered for a 35 panel test (17 tubes of blood!)- including lupus DNA, complements, SS-ro, RA-f, dna spectrums, etc... These were all normal.Though I did notice that on some of my test results, while in range, I came in at the high end of normal, so not sure what that means. Almost like pushing the envelope on some.

All these years later and still wonky labs and I am wondering why in the world I never gave it a second thought- but that's what happens in a busy life I suppose and while grateful for docs at times that treated symptoms- I am not sure anyone ever really looked for the true source or at least suspected a different source other than fibro. Makes you wonder how often this happens to other people...

Hope you all are having a good day!

Last edited by bha320; 01-26-2013 at 10:42 AM.

Old 01-27-2013, 09:25 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

hi,
like you i am slightly to the right or left of the range too on most tests or just a bit under/over. been that way for years. so far no reason other than mine. each human is different and each human has their own level of normal for them. we don't all fit into the range.
one thing i do is keep my thyroid on the hyper side just a tad. helps with energy and decreases discomfort.
for myself i just decided to choose the ones i will pay attention to and the other just are what they are, my normal.
peace,
blue

Old 01-27-2013, 01:00 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I think sed rates in the 30's and CRP's of >10 are clearly elevated and not just borderline, especially since consistently high for so long. Is the creatinine you mentioned a urine or serum creatinine? That makes a big difference. You are so right that many people with autoimmune disorders are labelled with fibro because they are early in their disease and it hasn't manifested clearly yet, or their Dr's don't know what to do with them, are reluctant to refer, or for whatever reason chose to stick their head in the sand and not pursue the cause. Unfortunate, because this denies many people treatment that could improve their quality of life. Good luck in finding the cause of the disorder and getting treatment to keep you feeling better and keeping complications at bay.

Old 01-31-2013, 09:08 PM   #9
(female)

Tennis mom HB User

I agree with Lady bud. I was diagnosed with fibro first because all of my bloodwork has been negative. My brain and spinal MRI were clear for MS. A rheumy thinks I have Sjogrens, in addition to fibro. But my ESR and CRP, along with everything else, is always negative. I have not done a salivary gland biopsy yet.

From what I have read about fibro that it is not an inflammatory disease, and your CRP and ESR would not be elevated due to fibro, that it is a neurological condition. I wish diagnosing medical diseases were more straightforward! Take care.

Old 02-01-2013, 07:14 AM   #10
Facilitator
(female)

it is up to us to make sure we are tested for everything under the sun. don't wait for the doc to think of it. just look up the specific blood tests for sjogrens and tell your doc to do those. that's how i found i had it. surprised everyone but me!
you only end up shoved in the fibro bucket if you allow it. i do not. i know the boundaries and behaviours of each individual imbalance in my body. they do not. it is for me to tell them. it is for them to do as they are requested. not asked, requested in that do it tone.
peace,
blue
ps sure hope you don't have sjogrens. if you do, hope it is a mild case. mine is quite agressive.

Reply Reply