It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-26-2013, 06:46 AM   #1
(female)

margie t HB User
Smile vitamin d deficiency

Hi, I was wondering if anyone with fibromyalgia has been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency?

Old 01-27-2013, 12:37 PM   #2
(female)

jessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB Userjessiesmom88 HB User
Re: vitamin d deficiency

I am borderline low...32 and I believe 30 and over is normal however my D3 level was under 4 which is deficient. Just took a 3 month follow up blood test for D . Doc put me on 1,000 iu a day for the 3 months and I will go back to him on Wed. I will let you know if the D level came up. This is funny though....my cardiologist was the one who ordered the test not my primary or rheumy. He thought since I get such bad pains in my legs and have high cholesterol and all the other problems that some may just be from low D. Got the results back from the first test and they were sent to my primary as well. The primary sent me the results in the mail and said D level was fine. When I got to my cardiologist he said..NO..you are very low...get on the D NOW!! Funny how 2 dr's can contradict each other. Did lots of research and they say for my age (almost 55) I should be up around 70-80 and not 32!!! SO..hoping all that D works..oh and I am vitamin b-12 deficient as well..anyone else??

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-27-2013, 03:44 PM   #3
(female)

margie t HB User

Hi jessies mom88, I have blood test every three months for cholesterol and high blood pressure problems, the reason I found out about vitamin d deficiency was I read on the internet that people with fibro should take vitamin d, e, and b=12 so she did a blood test on vit d def. and I had 14 and she said it should be 60, have to take 2,000 iu vitamin d vitamins.

Old 01-28-2013, 05:56 AM   #4
(female)

Curious margie terry...did taking the 2,000 iu a day of D raise you levels? If so, where are the numbers now?
My brother in law who is into supplements said I could take up to 4,000 is a day but I think that is over kill! Also, are you on cholesterol meds (which one) and how does that affect your fibro pain?

Old 01-28-2013, 07:34 AM   #5
(female)

margie t HB User

I ordered them through puritans pride I did not get them yet, my drug store only had 1,000 units in stock, so I have been taking them just for the past couple days but I still feel tired all the time, have to take a nap everyday. My cholester pill I take is simvistatin it does not seem to bother my fibro,,

Old 01-28-2013, 11:43 PM   #6
(female)

gina101 HB User

I have fibro, Vitamin B&D deficiency, i get monthly b12 shots, and Dr put me on 2000mg vit d daily. I have been taking both for over a year and i just had blood test that came back good.

Old 01-29-2013, 06:25 AM   #7
(female)

My primary doc called yesterday ..gave me the results of my latest blood work..vitamin D still hasnt come up from the low 30's on 1,000 IU for 3 months ...I was taking closer to 1,4000..so he upped it to 2,000. I guess I need to find out what is keeping my body from keeping the D I take..its a fat soluble vitamin and lord knows I have enough extra fat to store it in I think my low B comes from the fact I have been on proton pump inhibitors for years...prilosec and when that stopped working..aciphex..now on generic prevacid. Fibro has really messed up my digestive systen from top to bottom! I should look into b-12 shots!

Old 02-02-2013, 10:34 AM   #8
(female)

rosesnbloom HB User

Ive been diagnosed with this definciancy also. Even after taking the vitamins for a while it wasnt doing anything. so being im on so many other meds, and truthfully I get sick of taking meds.. but have too I chose not to continue the vitamin d. I also know people without this illness and it seems here in this town which is small the drs. are recommending vitamin d to almost everyone I know of.
rosesnbloom

Old 02-02-2013, 11:35 AM   #9
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi All! I take 50,000 units every two weeks. My level was a 13 when first tested. In the begining I was taking the 50,000 every week. I assumed my levels were low because I had broken my kneecap that July and due to the brace did not spend any time outside. Could not walk and full leg brace would get very hot! My Mom used to go for B12 shots. I think I'll ask my Doc about them. Can't hurt.

Low pain All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

Old 02-02-2013, 06:50 PM   #10
(female)

ArmyMomHughes HB User

I used to take 50,000 a week for 8 weeks. Vit D takes awhile to get back up. I believe you can take up 5,000 safely.

Old 02-03-2013, 10:23 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

fibrostuff HB User

Most people have vitamin D deficiency. Everyone I know that took the blood test (and shared the results with me) was low. But I was very low. I was hoping that would be the cause of my fibro, but unfortunately I don't think it is. Still, taking vitamin D so that you are in the good range is very important.

Old 02-07-2013, 09:14 AM   #12
(female)

FMSUCKS HB User

hi my Dr. told me that you have to take vitamin c at the same time you are taking the D, or it will not absorb in your system. I hope this helps.

Old 02-11-2013, 12:55 PM   #13
(female)

metallys HB User

Also keep in mind Vit D is FAT soluble. For best absorption, it needs to be taken with some sort of fat.

Old 02-21-2013, 10:32 PM   #14
(female)

Megonlegs HB UserMegonlegs HB UserMegonlegs HB User

My vitamin D was at 8 at the beginning of December - lower than it was a year ago when I had it tested (was 18 then). I took supplements for a few months and then didn't ask for a refill. I guess I should have

After the latest results, I did some research and found that people with chronic pain often have extremely low Vit. D levels.

Hoping the supplements help for all of us!

Old 02-22-2013, 12:45 AM   #15
(female)

jocelyn7035 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by margie terry View Post
Hi, I was wondering if anyone with fibromyalgia has been diagnosed with vitamin d deficiency?
I have been diagnosed with only Vitamin D deficiency but not with fibromyalgia. Can deficiency of this vitamin cause fibromyalgia?

Reply Reply