It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-13-2013, 08:23 PM   #1
(female)

HopeandME HB User
Has anything helped for your Fibromyalgia Depression? I really am desperate!

Hi there! I have both fibromyalgia as well as CFS. In addition I am having severe depression. It's never been this bad and I never suffered from depression until I became ill.

Right now the depression is so bad that I would be worried about hurting myself if I didn't have children. It hurts so bad and I can't sleep the depression away because I suffer from severe insomnia so if I lay in the bed it just makes it worse. Sometimes I take more sleep medicine to sleep more but then I run out and can't sleep for days (not to mention I feel even more depressed after taking the nap). I don't know what to do. I have tried so many antidepressants. I currently have a prescription for an antidepressant called Emsam but all of the reviews I have read about Emsam cause insomnia and I have to sleep so I don't know what to do.

The thought crossed my mind that perhaps there are certain antidepressants that work better for those of us with fibromyalgia and CFS. I mean there has to be some connection because I know a few people like me who never really suffered with depression before getting sick. Can you please tell me what has worked for you? Any help you can give me would be truly appreciated. I can't imagine hurting this way one more day but some how I will get through it!

Thanks for your help!
Hope

Old 02-15-2013, 08:07 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Has anything helped for your Fibromyalgia Depression? I really am desperate!

Have you sought out any counseling for the FM and depression. Seeing as you don't respond well to any of the meds maybe counseling on how to cope with both depression and the FM might do some good. It's amazing what a difference coping mechanisms can make in our every day life.

I was taking cymbalta but am now in process of weaning off. Reason for weaning is side affects. In the process I've learned what it does and doesn't do for me. But we are all different so what works for me may not work for you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 04:39 PM   #3
(female)

Debra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB User
Re: Has anything helped for your Fibromyalgia Depression? I really am desperate!

I have FM. I have also suffered all of my life with depression. When I first was diagnosed, many years ago, I was put on Prozac. For me, that worked wonders! But (and this only happened ONCE!) because I was feeling sooo much better and had gained so much weight I decided to stop taking it! Why not? I'm cured!! NOT! I had to go thru hell again before I smartened up and went back on! Of course, with any med, sometimes changes need to be made. I am now taking Cymbalta which is working wonderfully for me. I haven't had side effects to deal with like some people have, Thank God! But I have noticed that its time to have the prescription increased a little. I think, like with any other illness, you learn to read your body, and my body is saying its time to do a little tweaking! One of the other members suggested therapy. Do it! Before I "knew" I had depression and anxieties I didn't know what the heck was going on with me. Talking to someone who knows what they're talking about REALLY helps to put things into perspective. Its SO important for you to do this. Especially if you've never dealt with depression and you don't have any one around you who has either. Depression can be VERY, VERY overwhelming. It can zap every bit of will out of you. You may feel like you've been crying all day when you haven't. Or, maybe you are crying all day. Call your doctor, look in the phone book, but seek a therapist. Keep up talking to your doctor about different meds, don't give up. Much love to you.

Old 02-17-2013, 08:25 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

Everytime I feel a little depressed I drink hot chocolate, it helps believe me.
I sounds crazy, but it does help.

As for fibromyalgia...well, perhaps you need to take a good sleeping pill, like Temazepam or Xyrem.

and maybe you also have some personal problems(like most people)>
Why do you think you have Fibromyaglia, have you been in a car accident? what triggered it?

Reply Reply

Tags
cfs, cfs. chronic fatigue, depression, insomnia