It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-15-2013, 08:41 PM   #1
(male)

freemeup HB User
Lidocaine patches for muscle spasms?

I have non relenting muscle spasms on my left side back and neck area that I have tried professional massage, trigger point, heat/cold etc etc. but they seem to remain. I have thought about finding a doctor to do trigger point injections, but being that it is usually lidocaine they inject, I was wondering if the overnight prescription patches (lidoderm?) might silence these muscles spasms in the same manner? I was diagnosed with myofascial syndrome years ago, and the knots are rock hard - though not terribly painful. They also seem to cause a spinal nerve constriction which causes a tingly/itchy sensation from my scapula to trapezius area (something called notalgia according to one on my therapists).

Old 02-16-2013, 07:47 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Lidocaine patches for muscle spasms?

hi and welcome free,
i have trigger point injections and i have ablations. they use steroids and lidocaine for injections and high frequency radio waves to ablate nerves. i also use the patches. never got any help with spasms but they work great on my joints and arthritic body. they are a lifesaver for my fanny when i travel.
i suggest you do both and of course have an mri just to be sure there is no damage to use caution with.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps i use my patches during the day. can't feel the pain asleep. giggle.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-16-2013, 04:20 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Hi yes I use them to take the edge off also voltaren gel which is also a script. Have you tried a TENS unit? Cathy

Old 02-16-2013, 05:04 PM   #4
(male)

freemeup HB User

No, I have not tried a TENs unit yet. Are they good for the obnoxious spasms which don't seem to let up? Thanks-

Old 02-16-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Yes it's a little battery operated machine with four sticky pads attached with wires and you set it to what is comfortable to you and what it does instead of feeling the pain from the spasms your brain feels the pulses from the unit. Ask your dr about it. Or if you go to pt ask them. Cathy

Old 02-16-2013, 06:01 PM   #6
(male)

freemeup HB User

See that is the thing though; My knots are hard, ropey, and more a source of discomfort than pain (like a pulling sensation). Unless the TENs freed up the spasm, I am not so sure they would do much good.

Old 02-16-2013, 06:20 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well it works that way too maybe research it some . Cathy

Old 02-16-2013, 06:51 PM   #8
(male)

freemeup HB User

Okay thanks. My cousin is a PT (in another city) and thought that TENS would be more effective for pain than for the type of spasms I indicated, But anything is worth a try at this point!

Old 02-16-2013, 07:05 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

You can get it in a mode (has several) where it's like a massaging action. Also have you tried Botox injections? Just thought of that. My hubby had a long rope like knot in his shoulder blade area and the pain dr started with Botox inj then went to a form of alcohol injection, which really burned btw, but I would immediately put a lidocaine patch on top of it when he finished. He had ant 5 of these treatments to break it up.

We ordered thru our online phmacy in a large quantity kept it at or house and would bring it to appts. The Botox worked for a little bit but the alcohol stuff worked better. Cathy

Last edited by noevr; 02-17-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Misspelled word dang autocorrect

Old 02-16-2013, 08:21 PM   #10
(male)

freemeup HB User

Thanks. Are pain Drs the only ones qualified to administer trigger point and botox injections? If not, what other doctors might be qualified?

Old 02-16-2013, 09:06 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

Well my rheumy did trigger point but I've only had pm dr do the others. Maybe the orthodox might do it I don't know, cathy

Old 02-17-2013, 07:56 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
sorry to get back so late. yes i have used a tens unit. i did not find it helpful. i did find it cumbersome. yes pain doctors, usually anesthologist administer the injections. i am going in next week for ablations. if that does not work then botox and if that does not work a full nerve block.
i also use voltaren gel. love that stuff. but it only helps certain joints. it is not designed for muscle spasms.
peace,
blue

Old 02-17-2013, 08:37 AM   #13
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

freemeup, I have the same thing you have. The only difference between me and you is that I had a severe whiplash. It's very possible you have bulging disks, but my neurologist said it's all muscles. But it hurts, huh.

How long has this been going on?
If it's the neck than the tens machine won't help you. In fact only muscle relaxants help this problem and there is NO way to cure it. I find it hard to believe, but nothing to be done other than taking pain meds etc.

Can you sleep at night?

Old 02-17-2013, 05:01 PM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

I believe she said it was part of the back as well in the first post.

Last edited by noevr; 02-17-2013 at 05:02 PM.

Old 02-18-2013, 07:02 AM   #15
(male)

freemeup HB User

I am actually a 57 year old male, and I think this is why I don't have the more typical FM palpation tenderness and other bodily symptoms more common with women. I also meant to ask whether anyone has tried acupuncture for these type of spasms? I know some acupuncture is not applied directly to the area because of meridians, but was wondering if there is a type which can be used locally (instead of the conventional syringe needling)?

Reply Reply