It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-19-2013, 06:38 AM   #1
(female)

desertlady42 HB User
Costochondritis

Hello,
I have been having some chest and back pain since early last week that has scared me to the point that I was worried I was having a heart attack. I seem to gasp for air every now and then. so I made an appointment with my primary Doctor and she did an xray and ekg and both looked fine. When she pressed on my chest I had pain and she thinks this could be Costochondritis. I told her I always had pain there and figured it was part of Fibro. She still wants to send me to have a stress test next week just to rule out any heart problems.

I spoke to my brother last night who had been diagnosed with this and he told me that yes you can have shortness of breath. He said he went to the hospital thinking he was having a heart attack which is exactly how I was feeling.

My only concern is my heart seems to race and feels like palpitations when I am active, like walking stairs. Does this also happen with Costochondritis? Does anyone have any experience with this?
I will be glad if this is the diagnosis, at least I know it won't harm me! Scare the hell out of me but nothing more

Old 02-19-2013, 07:43 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Costochondritis

hi lady,
count me in!! giggle. yup i get the fast heart beat, and the nasty ouchies. i have had a stress cardio and i am fine heart wise. i went for years without a bra and that helped. now i am too, too, too, old for braless and boy is the costo back with bells on. darned bras, giggle. loose clothing, stop to breath deeply and focus on your heart beat saying slowly ba-bum, ba-bum. it helps alot. i can drop my heart rate from 118 to 76 in less than a minute now. then i resume what i am doing. tho for me it often happens while doing nothing but laying in bed.
until you hear different just breath and relax. i find warm heat helps and so does use of topical pain creams. my newest fav is noxicare. be careful tho it does stain. i put it on fresh out of the shower, do the rest of my ablutions and then wipe off any excess. have ruined some expensive undies.
i also get short of breath often again while doing nothing. like i forget to breath or some silly thing. then i hear my brain say, oh, yea, breath dorkette! a big inhale and a good laugh at myself restores the balance.
peace,
bluelakelady

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-19-2013, 08:00 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

I get it also, darned costo hurts so bad at times but lucky for me I haven't had the heartbeat issues . I get quite inflamed with swelling when it flares up, even a little red. Dr says TziTzis /Costo I found the best bras to wear with costo are the barely theres. I also learned to use ice on the spine where the nerve sits ,kind of on the bra line.
Just till you feel numbness. Temporary relief, but any relief helps.

Old 02-19-2013, 11:12 AM   #4
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Thanks Bluelakelady, I feel better knowing that the racing heart is common. It was my biggest concern. Everytime I do something strenuous the pain starts and my heart feels like it is going to pop out of my chest...very scary feeling!

Old 02-19-2013, 11:14 AM   #5
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by WoodsWalker View Post
I get it also, darned costo hurts so bad at times but lucky for me I haven't had the heartbeat issues . I get quite inflamed with swelling when it flares up, even a little red. Dr says TziTzis /Costo I found the best bras to wear with costo are the barely theres. I also learned to use ice on the spine where the nerve sits ,kind of on the bra line.
Just till you feel numbness. Temporary relief, but any relief helps.
Thanks! I never thought of trying ice. Will give it a go tonight.

Old 03-21-2013, 12:41 PM   #6
(female)

Samfire HB User

Hi there. I had a bout of costa about 4mths ago, and boy did it hurt! I also had the palpitations and thought I also was having a heart attack. Doc diagnosed costachondritis and I was so relieved that I wasn't going to die! I found that I had a hard feeling and pain in the lower end of my windpipe while it lasted. Also, I agree that the bras are a *****, but I have no choice, as I'm a J and awaiting a breast reduction - if I EVER lose the ever-stubborn half a stone that just won't seem to come off!!! BTW, I have also been diagnosed with Fibro just this week after 20yrs!!!!

Old 03-22-2013, 04:47 AM   #7
(female)

desertlady42 HB User

Hi Samfire, thanks for the reply. I ended up in the hospital with racing heart and my blood pressure was sky high. They still havent figured that out yet but I do know my heart is ok because I had a lot of tests done. I am now being treated for a peptic ulcer which my doctor said could have caused the chest pain. Fingers crossed!

I hope your Costo is under control. Like we don't have enough pains already right?

I wish you luck with your breast reduction. Hope you can have it done soon. I had a breast reduction two years ago and it was the best thing I ever did. I'm here if you ever want to talk!

The Following User Says Thank You to desertlady42 For This Useful Post:
Samfire (03-23-2013)
Old 03-22-2013, 08:25 AM   #8
(female)

mszee HB User

Oh my goodness Bluelakelady. I have been going without a bra for about six months because it hurts my ribs and I am getting tension headaches. It's not pleasant since I'm a 34I so it's almost dangerous to myself and others..haha I went to the dr about a month ago for sternum pain and she said its costochondritis. Desertlady42 I hope you feel better soon.

The Following User Says Thank You to mszee For This Useful Post:
desertlady42 (03-27-2013)
Reply Reply