It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-28-2013, 08:48 AM   #1
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User
Vitamin D was 0, but take 1000 units a day?

Hi , I have been diagnosed with fibro a few times by drs but i have very bad back issues that keep me really busy fighting pain so i have never really paid much attention to if my symptoms are really fibromyalgia symptoms. My heart started pounding, like i ran a race, 24/7, for 5-6 months so i saw a cardiologist, one of the best in Houston. I take vitaminD 1000iu with calcium & super B complex with C daily, but my blood level was absolutely 0. He called & it seemed that he had an urgency in his voice about the vitamin D level being 0 & rx'd 50,000 iu once a week for 4 weeks, then 2000iu a day for a month then a blood labs again to see if im absorbing it. Has anyone ever heard of not absorbing vitamin D &/or what happens if it is non existent in your body? What does it affect & can it affect your heart? I know that this seems trite on this board but i would really appreciate any info because this heart pounding is really getting old! Thank you so much for any help or suggestions offered!

Old 03-29-2013, 07:58 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Vitamin D was 0, but take 1000 units a day?

hi gmak,
i strongly suggest you do some research on vitamin D and it's miriad of purposes in the body. i am not up to writing it all but there is much to read online. go to the gov site. i found it the most informative.
your doc sounded that way cause we need D for our intestines to work properly, for bone health, to prevent rickets. the list is huge so go educate yourself.
i take 1000iu a day also and my levels are fine but after doing a bit of research myself realize i am not taking enough.
very glad your doc found this and is helping you get balanced again.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps. also get out in the sun at least 20 minutes a day and be sure your hands are exposed to the sun. it's our main source of vitamin D the sunshine vitamin.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 03-29-2013 at 07:59 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
gmak (03-29-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-29-2013, 09:18 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

gmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB Usergmak HB User

Thank you blue lakelady for answering. I found the govn info & more yesterday & i hope that it stops the loud "galloping" of my heart. The dr inferred that vit D would help my back pain as well. It doesnt make sense that the blood level was zero b/c i eat cereal with fortified milk everyday, go outside to throw ball to my sons lab & took 1000 units but then i read that we cant consume enough in our diets. I only wish i would have known sooner but need to be grateful that the zero level was found now! Thank you again!

Last edited by gmak; 03-31-2013 at 08:10 PM. Reason: typos

Old 03-30-2013, 07:31 AM   #4
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

you are most welcome. please let me know how you are doing as you progress with the higher dose of D.
mind blow isn't it? i had forgotten a great deal and kept saying oh yea! when i read about it again. i hope your levels rise.
peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 03-30-2013 at 07:32 AM.

The Following User Says Thank You to bluelakelady For This Useful Post:
gmak (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 10:50 AM   #5
(female)

littledarlinTN HB UserlittledarlinTN HB User

My new PCP did a Vit D level and mine was very low as well. Not at 0 but enough that I am taking 50,000 once a week for 4 weeks. I am also outside a few times a day...not necessarily enough I guess. I am also having to do B12 injections for the next 7 months..it was on the low end of normal but the neuro said she wanted it higher. As the weather warms up, I will be outside more between the garden and the chickens so I am hoping that will help. Calcium was fine....I thought the two went hand in hand but I guess not. Hopefully the supplement will help you!

The following user gives a hug of support to littledarlinTN:
gmak (03-31-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to littledarlinTN For This Useful Post:
gmak (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 12:28 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi All and Happy Easter to those who celebrate. I too had a low Vt D (13) a year ago. Started 50000 a week for a month then every 2 then every week. When re-checked it was still not up to par so still taking every 2 weeks. It is very important to get outside. Remember when we were kids and you could not keep us in the house unless food was involved. We ran, jumped, climbed, swam and played ball games. We were healthy as hell. Then we all started working for a living and outside was hard to aquire everyday. Few of us knew that Vt D was such an important need for our bodies. Yeah we had it in our milk but I never knew that in just 15-20 mins a day out in the sun could also help until my Doc told me about my levels. Oh how I wish I could get 15-20 mins of sunshine each day now lol. Soon as the weather gets warmer I am going to start walking a bit if only for 15-20 mins a day just to get some of one of the things that will help me feel a bit better.

Low pain All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now

The following user gives a hug of support to catkaru:
gmak (03-31-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to catkaru For This Useful Post:
gmak (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 01:33 PM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

Dear little darlin,blue & cat, Thank you, our treatments are very similar with the 50,000iu every week ◊ 4. I have another question. I HAD! operative word HAD, chronic ulcerative colitis & peptic ulcers 12 years ago since it has flared at all, is this 50,000 iu going to hurt my stomach? Occasionally, i have severe antrum spasms of stomach, feels like labor pains in stomach, zegerid controls it & if bad take liquid carafate & i noticed cat that you have diverticulitis, gerd, did the 50,000 iu's hurt your tummy? Also, another weird finding my platelets were 120,000.Has anyone had that & knows of a cause? Does the 50,000 iu cause any untoward symptoms that you can recall? Thank you all so very much for helping me? I dont know how this happened living in tx with warm weather & taking 1000iu supplement, do you know anything about absorption problems? Thank you again so very much for taking time to share!
P.s. Yes, cat i remember when i learned about the sunshine vitamin in elementary, i thought "i get enough of that vitamin running & playing" & assumed that life would always be that way!

Last edited by gmak; 03-31-2013 at 08:17 PM. Reason: ps

The following user gives a hug of support to gmak:
catkaru (04-05-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 04:38 PM   #8
(female)

gmak, I have so far only taken one dose....sorry. The one dose has not done anything that I have noticed. I have to take medicine due to the indocin anyway so it may not cause me much of a stomach issue that it would cause someone else.

gmak (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 05:00 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by littledarlinTN View Post
My new PCP did a Vit D level and mine was very low as well. Not at 0 but enough that I am taking 50,000 once a week for 4 weeks. I am also outside a few times a day...not necessarily enough I guess. I am also having to do B12 injections for the next 7 months..it was on the low end of normal but the neuro said she wanted it higher. As the weather warms up, I will be outside more between the garden and the chickens so I am hoping that will help. Calcium was fine....I thought the two went hand in hand but I guess not. Hopefully the supplement will help you!
Hi lildarlin, My calcium was just fine, too! I had the lab work because my heart is galloping &/or pounding so hard all the time for 6 months! My platelets were low, 120,000, ???So, did low vit D cause this? I dont know. Does the 50,000 iu hurt your stomach? But, even with atenolol & zocor heart is still pounding! Just wanted to say that i understand & one person that knows how i feel & says i "get it" is worth 1000 "i'm sorry's" from people that care but dont know what its like. I will never forget the first time on healthboards i had #9 pain, posted as much & someone replied " me, too", it was a life changing experience for me. So, thank you & bless you, i love TN & went there 2◊ a year for 20 years, i think you are so blessed to be there, i can still smell the fresh air of TN!lol

Old 03-31-2013, 06:13 PM   #10
(female)

JayLea HB User

I was fortunate enough to have a good rheumatologist who was the one that dx'd me with fibro, AND ordered a Vitamin D blood test at the same time. Turns out, I was very low, too, which is common for fibromites. I have been on 50,000 IUs weekly since that time (5 years ago this month, actually). I also take 2,000 IUs daily. My levels are good, but that's what it takes to keep them there. My body just doesn't absorb it, so I have to add it. I have been told that taking Calcium will aid in the absorption, so I take Viactiv as well, mostly because I believe I need extra Calcium anyway. Hope that helps.

The following user gives a hug of support to JayLea:
gmak (04-01-2013)
The Following User Says Thank You to JayLea For This Useful Post:
gmak (03-31-2013)
Old 03-31-2013, 07:58 PM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLea View Post
I was fortunate enough to have a good rheumatologist who was the one that dx'd me with fibro, AND ordered a Vitamin D blood test at the same time. Turns out, I was very low, too, which is common for fibromites. I have been on 50,000 IUs weekly since that time (5 years ago this month, actually). I also take 2,000 IUs daily. My levels are good, but that's what it takes to keep them there. My body just doesn't absorb it, so I have to add it. I have been told that taking Calcium will aid in the absorption, so I take Viactiv as well, mostly because I believe I need extra Calcium anyway. Hope that helps.
Dear jaylea, Do you notice a difference in the way that you feel with the vit D level up?Has low vit D ever affected your heart?I have a really messed up back so the only symptoms that i have that may be fibro is my body feels like someone beat me up! Indescribably sore, tight muscles & super tenderspots on vertebrae like they've been smashed with a hammer &/or maybe a greater added element to my"regular" pain than i realized. I take liquid calcium in gelcaps with 1000iu of vit D & miacalcin nosespray. I loved the chewable chocolate calcium but the vit K in it causes superficial blood clots in legs & too bad b/c i like calcium like candy not a horse pill, Lol! Unfortunately, i may have absorption problem because i was taking the supplement when the test came back 0. So thank you for letting me know that the level can be kept up if i do have a problem, great to know & thank you again

Last edited by gmak; 03-31-2013 at 08:01 PM. Reason: typos

Old 03-31-2013, 08:07 PM   #12
(female)

I am born and bred a Tennessee Girl - have lived other places but keep coming back home. I never knew vitamin D was another common issue with fibro. Thanks for your post...I learned something. Hopefully I can remember it lol. Not feeling great today, a little alarmed at being dizzy - spent quite a bit of time lounging today but was watching The Bible so that was my excuse. Thank heavens for crock pots because we had our wonderful Easter ham thanks to it. Having strange aches and pains in places I am not used to hurting (the rare places that don't hurt) and lots of numbness. Today was my 2nd B12 shot and Wed will be my 2nd Vitamin D dose so I am hoping that these will make it more tolerable. Tomorrow is back to work so hitting the hay...have a wonderful week!

gmak (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 12:33 PM   #13
(female)

JayLea HB User

It did take away some of the muscular aches and pains, but honestly after all this time, I'm not sure anymore...I have been going through a particularly bad flare this winter so nothing much feels like it's helping But, my PCP and I have a theory: as long as it isn't hurting, why not try it?! Acupuncture is next on our list

The Following User Says Thank You to JayLea For This Useful Post:
gmak (04-01-2013)
Old 04-01-2013, 01:14 PM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayLea View Post
It did take away some of the muscular aches and pains, but honestly after all this time, I'm not sure anymore...I have been going through a particularly bad flare this winter so nothing much feels like it's helping But, my PCP and I have a theory: as long as it isn't hurting, why not try it?! Acupuncture is next on our list

Hi lildarlinTN, So true, the ways & things we have to do everyday to look " normal" & " pulled our weight" when actually hurting & want to rest! Hope you get rest all day before facing the kiddies @ school manana!Btw, I had numbness, neuropathy symptoms so bad i could hardly wear closed in shoes, weird pains in back, legs, feet even face & mouth! Assumed from arach now i wonder if related to low vit D b/c "it" started @ same time as heart pounding. It subsided & hopefully yours will too!

Dear jaylea, Thank you, i hope it helps the aches & pains! I have bad winters from chronic pain, arachnoiditis & spring has sprung in tejas & i need to spring back to " normal" for me! Im sorry that you are hurting! But, thank the Lord that your dr is caring & trying so hard to help you!

Last edited by gmak; 04-01-2013 at 01:21 PM. Reason: info

Old 04-05-2013, 01:18 PM   #15
Veteran
(female)

catkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB Usercatkaru HB User

Hi Gmak, I have been taking Vit. D for about 2 years now and have not had any reaction that I know of. I do know that some medications will keep the body from absorbing the D Vit. I assumed I was low on Vit D because I had knee surgery in July of 2007 had knee surgery that kept me out of the sun and in June of 2009 I broke my knee-cap which also kept me out of the sun. The unfortunate thing with both issues was the wearing of a very heavy brace that kept me indoors due to the heat. So when Doc said low D I just assumed. But now it is 2013 and I am still low. So it could be my meds or the fact that I pretty much stay indoors all summer because I can't take the heat anymore. Funny thing is I used to go fishing on an almost daily basis in the sun and the heat never bothered me and I used to to go Ice Fishing every available weekend and the cold never bothered me! Now I can't stand being in either. Not that I don't want too, that's for sure. Oh and for those also reading it was always catch and release or eat. If you have ever had a Yellow Perch out of the ice you would understand what I mean. But these are the kind of things I miss besides being able to get down on my kness to anything at all. I used to blame it on Catholic School and going to church 6 days a week and kneeling so much lol. I could go on and on, but just wanted to let you know about the "D". Sorry have no one to talk to around here much!

Low pain All,

Dx'd with Fibro 2007
Endometriosis
Barret's Esophagus
Gerd
Osteoarthritis
Anxiety Disorder since 1986
IBS
Diverticulosis
High Colesterol
Tachycardia
Depression - Now