It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-15-2013, 02:48 AM   #1
(female)

Nancy Lynder HB User
Unhappy Intensely Painful Lumpy Thighs

Does anybody else have lumpy thighs that have intensely painful spots? And I do mean INTENSELY painful!! The outside of my both my thighs have lumps or ridges when you run your fingers over them and in very specific spots it's like have a red hot poker jammed in. Doesn't bother me when I walk, but thighs will go numb and then it feels like someone poured warm water on the inside of skin when I sit down. I've had this for about 20 years and none of my doctors can figure it out. I just happened to do a search on Google and saw a post on this board dated back in 2003 about the same thing. Never thought of it as fibro pain before.

Old 06-01-2013, 11:34 AM   #2
(female)

redsmom HB User
Re: Intensely Painful Lumpy Thighs

I don't know if its fibro related either but I have the same thing.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-01-2013, 03:41 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

Yeah. I've got it and even when my 5 lb chihuahua stands on them it kills me hubby doesnt get it. Looks so nice too... not! I rub voltaren gel on it sometimes its a prescription nsaid. Cathy

Old 06-01-2013, 05:16 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

I would ask your Dr to check you for myositis. It causes inflammation in the muscles with pain, extreme tenderness, and can feel lumpy. It affects the upper arms and thighs more than lower muscles. It is checked by a blood test for CK and aldolase, 2 muscle enzymes that are elevated in myositis. It can also cause weakness, and best to get tested during a flare if symptoms are intermittent.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
tiff-cher (06-02-2013)
Old 06-01-2013, 05:26 PM   #5
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

I do have the same thing in my legs. I do wonder if it is Fibro related!! Nobody has ever really been able to tell me either!

Old 06-01-2013, 05:31 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

noevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB Usernoevr HB User

I looked up the myositis and it said one of the first treatments is steroids which I can't have because I have addisons too and it said there was no cure of course. Cathy

Old 06-01-2013, 09:43 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Steroids are not the only treatment for myositis, and it would be good to have that identified if it exists.

Old 06-02-2013, 05:57 AM   #8
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

I never thought of it being myositis....but now that I think about it that makes sense. I have had extreme wt loss in the past 2 years because I had gastric bypass, so it is way more noticeable. I mentioned it to my old doc a long time ago...... maybe I need to follow up on it with my doctor now! thanks all, tiff-cher

Old 06-02-2013, 05:59 AM   #9
(female)

redsmom HB User

But is it fibro related?

Old 06-02-2013, 10:40 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Many people diagnosed with fibro have other things that their Dr just never identified. Myositis is an autoimmune disorder, causing severe aching pain, similar to fibro, so unless a Dr checks for myositis, which they rarely do, it is missed. CK is not a standard blood test so it needs to be thought of as a possibility and checked for. Sed rate and CRP can be elevated too, but it isn't always high.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
redsmom (06-02-2013)
Old 06-04-2013, 05:24 PM   #11
(female)

tiff-cher HB User

Ladybug~Good information!!

Old 06-08-2013, 06:32 PM   #12
(female)

NLSM HB User

I too have these lumpy painfull spots on the outside of my thighs. They have been there for years and seem to be more noticable at times, esp when Im about to go into a flare or in one. I originally thought it was because I had too much fat on my thighs but after research and keeping track I am positive it is related to the fibro. Like you it doesnt bother when Im walking, but laying in bed on my side when extremely flared can be too much and to be touched there by another person, or even my cats who try to walk on me, it excruiating. the heat sensation can also be fibro or nerve pain. I have siatic nerve pain that effects my legs but the fibro nerve type pain can be vey similar and cause burning, tingling, numbing. I even have at times creepy crawly feeling and the sensation of bug bites or electric zaps thru out my legs and sometimes arms. This seems to be more evident in the summer when the temps are hotter. I still am waiting for a doctor willing to rule out MS. Ultram is truly a big help on the leg pain and stiff feeling. Good luck to you

Reply Reply