It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2013, 01:04 PM   #1
(male)

ScionTC05 HB User
Introduction & questions before approaching doctor if I have fibro

Brief intro is I am a 30 something male who's always seemed to be a chronic complainer about some sort of pain or ailment affecting my daily activities. I have daily headaches that are mostly in the back of my neck & clench/grind my teeth and wake up tired/stiff daily. Although I have a wonderful life/family I feel down & unmotivated. I've been on lexapro before & it can be good for a few months, but seen a checklist on fibromyalgia and its nearly all my symptoms...From what I gather and have read its a newer "unknown/not taken serious" condition people seem to have (in others eyes it seems)...Here is my checklist...If my doctor thinks I fit the bill, from what I read its basically a toughen up disease that you just have to deal with? I also just read that diet pop can be a trigger to make things worse. I drink 1-3 cans daily of a diet pop so I may try cutting that out to see if it helps.

YES-Chronic muscle pain, muscle spasms or tightness
YES-Moderate or severe fatigue and decreased energy
MODERATELY-Insomnia or waking up feeling just as tired as when you went to sleep
YES-Stiffness upon waking or after staying in one position for too long
YES-Difficulty remembering, concentrating, and performing simple mental tasks ("fibro fog")
NO-Abdominal pain, bloating, nausea, and constipation alternating with diarrhea (irritable bowel syndrome)
YES-Tension or migraine headaches
YES-Jaw and facial tenderness
YES-I hate home scents/perfumes!!! Sensitivity to one or more of the following: odors, noise, bright lights, medications, certain foods, and cold
YES-Feeling anxious or depressed
YES-Numbness or tingling in the face, arms, hands, legs, or feet
SOMETIMES IF NERVOUS-Increase in urinary urgency or frequency (irritable bladder)
YES-I TIRE EASY-Reduced tolerance for exercise and muscle pain after exercise
YES-ESPECIALLY WITH COMPUTER USAGE-A feeling of swelling (without actual swelling) in the hands and feet

A friend of mine said to see a doctor and try cymbalta but I am currently on high blood pressure meds...The symptoms are nearly yes on all items for me, but I am hesitant to know if this is what I have or if this disease is generally considered non serious?

Just a vent/informative post looking to see what others feel. I guess my next step is to mention it to my family doctor...Thanks for listening.

Last edited by ScionTC05; 04-16-2013 at 01:06 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2013, 02:52 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Introduction & questions before approaching doctor if I have fibro

Hi, you do have many of the symptoms so keep on track with your plan to see your family doc. A visit to a rheumatologist should be next. Take your list with you, update it as needed, with FM new pains,tingles and spasms like to join the party.

You mentioned High blood pressure, make sure your swelling hands and feet aren't connected to your heart.
I was on cymbalta for about 4 years and recently went off it. Think and research and think again on any of the commonly used FM drugs. Everyone is different and either they work or don't but all come with their own set of side affects to consider heavily. I now prefer a mostly natural way of dealing with my FM. And yes regardless of what way you go there is a degree of learning how to cope to get thru day to day.

It does take lots of tests and time to get a diagnosis due to so many overlapping symptoms. Good luck in your quest

Reply Reply