It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-03-2013, 08:55 PM   #1
(female)

ksp HB Userksp HB Userksp HB User
Question Fibro and back surgery

Just wondering if any of you have had lumbar spine surgery that also have fibromyalgia? I am facing surgery at the end of the month for a herniated disk that is pressing on the nerve bundle and I am concerned about how my fibromyalgia may affect the outcome of the surgery as afar as pain?...

Old 05-08-2013, 02:24 PM   #2
(female)

Post Fibromyalgia and back surgery

I just wanted to reply to my own post since I have not had any reply's in hopes that someone can utilize this information in the future.... I found a webpage titled "fibromyalgia and having elective surgery" it is a guide for people to take to their doctor so they can take special precautions when you have surgery. Also, I talked to my neurosurgeons nurse and she said because of my fibro I may have pain worse than my pre-op pain and my recovery may be a little longer but everyone is different so she couldn't tell me for sure what would happen... She said the average person (without fibro) will have pain as bad as or worse that their pre-op pain typically for Two weeks following surgery and it could be longer, and worse In my case. I got encouraging news on the back problems board from someone who had surgery a few weeks ago and has not had a flare from the surgery, so I am encouraged that there is a possibility that I could have the same outcome. I would still be happy to hear from anyone about your experience with back surgery and fibro.....

The following user gives a hug of support to ksp:
Wolfhoundlady (06-08-2013)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2013, 07:32 AM   #3
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Fibromyalgia and back surgery

hi ksp,
sorry to get here late. had hand surgery and had to be mostly good. giggle. I have had several surgeries and no prob's with fibro. I won't have the surgery on my spine so I have procedures to reduce the discomfort from hades. I went to 3 docs and they all said the same thing so I am listening to them and not doing it.
I hope you get lucky and get to be like me. my fibro leaves and lets me heal.
the ablations and injections I have do work for a period of time, sometimes almost a year. I don't want the domino affect of low back surgery.
I wish you a speedy recovery.
peace,
bluelakelady

Old 05-09-2013, 03:15 PM   #4
(female)

Re: Fibro and back surgery

Hello bluelakelady,
No problem, thanks for your reply! I hope you are healing well from your hand surgery!... I unfortunately have fibromyalgia that is one constant flare, just some days are worse than others (ex: barometric pressure changes.) I have had more than 1 surgery and have not had issues, but the surgeries I have had (except one) have not involved cutting through nerves that I am aware of. The thing that has me a little more worried is that the ulnar resection I had (which involved cutting through nerves) was a VERY painful surgery and I still have loss of feeling in part of my wrist 10 years later, and the back surgery that I am having soon involves a lot more nerves than what was involved with my wrist. Do you have lumbar herniations with neurological symptoms? If you don't mind, please explain to me the domino effect of back surgery that you speak of...? Hope you are enjoying your day, it's windy, cloudy, and wet here up north but it still beats snow!!

Last edited by ksp; 05-09-2013 at 03:19 PM.

Old 05-09-2013, 11:34 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

nochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB Usernochange HB User

If you choose a surgeon, choose a surgeon who has done at least 10,000 back surgeries. That is what you should be worried about.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:41 AM   #6
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

hi,
yes I have herniation at l4-5 and my legs are affected by it. domino affect is when they operate on lower back, take bits out and that leaves a gap. each other disc will slowly drop over time causing other disc issues to arise that end up requiring surgery. a lot of the horror stories of surgery gone wrong is just not knowing the domino affect before you elect to have surgery.
I can live with the pain. as for fibro it is such a constant I don't really focus on it that much anymore. it's just my way of life now. sure it hurts every day, but after so many years ya get used to it and learn to work around it.
it is sunny and lovely here in my neck of the woods. a good time of year for hot tubbing with one of my daughters later today.
peace,
bluelakelady
ps I have had one surgery that did affect a nerve and still deal with it. it's a urethra mesh sling and I am not having it taken out! horrid odds, not worth it. I prefer to live with my choices and pain.

Old 05-10-2013, 07:43 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

excellent point nocchange!! I totally agree. then check the ama for registry and read notes from patients.
peace,
blue

Old 05-10-2013, 11:08 AM   #8
(female)

Thank you both for your responses and info! I looked up my doctor on the AMA website and he is not a member. It doesn't really surprise me because of where I live however he has been practicing neurosurgery for 15 years. I feel very comfortable with him, and have talked to local people as well as my QRC and he has a good reputation. I feel like I don't have much of a choice as far as having the surgery because, number 1: I am on work comp because of this injury and their responsibility is to get me to the best I can be and right now I can't even work. Number 2: I'm going to get a little personal here but I have I guess partial incontinence along with the radiating pain, drop foot etc.and the morning I try to do the worse the symptoms get. I am only 35 so I really don't feel like I can live like this for the rest of my life! I am concerned about the domino effect (which obviously I was not aware of before) but I don't know what else to do.... All conventional treatments failed.... Just so you have a clear picture of what I am dealing with, this is what the mid says....
Impression:
1. At L5-S1, an annular tear is identified posteriorly as well as mild posterior broad based bulging of the disk annular, producing a slight impression upon the anterior aspect of the thecal sac.
2. Large disk herniation at L4-5, producing a marked impression upon the anterior aspect of the thecal sac. The herniated disc measures 6.4mm in thickness and 11.6mm in width. The thecal sac measures 5.8mm from anterior to posterior.
3. Mild anterior broad based bulging of the L1-2 disc with small osteophytes anterior.
4. The neural canal and neural foramina are normal in appearance at L1-2, L2-2, and L3-4

Hopefully that gives you a little better picture so if you have any more info it would be appreciated. They will only be doing surgery on the L4-5. No fusions, and nothing with the L5-S1, based upon my surgeon and the IME I had with work comps orthopedic surgeon..... Hope you are all having a great day!Happy Friday

Old 05-11-2013, 08:14 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

hi,
at your age go for it and then be sure you stay active and keep that spine supple. the domino affect does not happen to every person just some. so we shall hope you are one of the fortunate ones who does not get it. giggle.
what the heck we only live once as far as we know! glad your doc has a good rep. local input is the best. not belonging to the ama is not a bad thing, it's just easier if they are. it's expensive for the doc to join.
so, when is your surgery date set for? my sis just had the same surgery about 6 months ago and is doing great. she is 60.
keep track of your body after and get any changes checked out over the duration of your life.
best of good surgery and gentle healing,
peace,
blue

Old 05-11-2013, 10:00 AM   #10
(female)

Thank you bluelakelady for all your help! My surgery is set for the 23rd. I am as active as my body will let me be.... Hopefully with this surgery I will be able to do more..... It's snowing again up north here. I think we are on winter #4 so far

Old 05-22-2013, 02:35 PM   #11
(female)

Well, due to other medical conditions I have going on, my surgery was postponed until the 30th.... Just thought I should update since I was asked the surgery date previously....

Old 05-23-2013, 06:13 AM   #12
Facilitator
(female)

hi, glad they are waiting till your body is ready for surgery. best to get every other thing balanced first. not worth the fallout if you don't. had a surgery once that turned into blood poisoning. mild undiagnosed bladder infection. spent 4 days in hossy getting massive antibiotics i.v. giggle. loved being cared for and they spoiled me, oh I was treated like a princess!
that doc now knows never to ignore a white cell count again. we fibro babies have to be very careful and our doctors have to know we are easily tossed off track! giggle.
I will be sending energy and meditating for your body and mind.
peace,
blue
wow, snow in may? what continent are you on girl?? giggle. and I thought it odd we had a touch of frost here in sunny California. tee hee.

Last edited by bluelakelady; 05-23-2013 at 06:16 AM.

Old 05-25-2013, 08:09 AM   #13
(female)

Thanks for your well wishes bluelakelady! I have a bunch of different skin conditions going on at once and the dermie thought it would be best for risk of infection in my spine post surgery. I live far enough north that I am almost in Canada. Been a really weird year as far as weather goes. I would love to be down south in the winter but that's not an option right now. The snow is finally gone
I am in the process of tapering my meds because my GP said if I didn't I would have more post-op pain because of what pain receptors the meds hit, needless to say between the fibro, the cmp, and the osteoarthritis I am one sore lady. I hope he is right, I hope it's worth it. The countdown to surgery begins.....

Old 05-26-2013, 07:58 AM   #14
Facilitator
(female)

smart doc you have. he is right. clearing your system will help the meds work post op. my sis never takes meds but she did for back surgery. first time she took meds. as she said, now I know what ouch really means. giggle.
bummer on the skin stuff. I get skin problems too. went to wound care one time and they gave me some stuff that I use now at the first sign of a split in my skin.
do you have good support at home to help you after?
check in whenever you feel up to it after surgery. may be awhile so no worries if I don't hear from you.
peace,
blue

Old 05-26-2013, 04:44 PM   #15
(female)

Yes I have my husband, and my mom will be here for a few days after I get home. I think I will probably need someone to take care of our 3 dogs more than anything. I think the hospital is going to think we are crazy because a whole group of people family, friends, and church members plan to go sit at the hospital while I have surgery. At least I know they care.... My GP is very smart, he regulates my meds and knows me well. I just never really recognized how much pain I am actually in with lowered meds :0. Good thing I only have a few days left and Lord willing it will be better! I will certainly keep in touch as soon as I am up to it, I plan on bringing my tablet to the hospital but who knows If I will be up to using it...... Hope everyone has a great memorial weekend!

Reply Reply