It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-08-2013, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Spasms from he**

I hope you all are better than me at the moment. Seems my body is being a little sassy with me right now. Of all places I am getting spasm in my neck and the top of my shoulder...new spot for me. I've tried flexeril which has been essentially useless, it usually works if I take it before the spasm takes full hold but this one hit me hard and fast. It's been3 days now and nothing is helping.

Aside from flexeril I have tried massages with painatrate, sombra,dremu and tiger balm. not one has cut the pain at all. Heat, cold..still no help. Use the genie rub trying to break it up. all it does is move it further up my neck. Soon it'll be on top of my head lol.

Guess I just wanna SCREAM, not getting relief with all my usual toys. Any suggestions that I haven't tried yet???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2013, 08:28 AM   #2
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User
Re: Spasms from he**

so sorry you are a spaz. would a chiro be able to help you? maybe you have a stuck nerve and adjusting would relieve it? you have done all the stuff I would offer up. do you have any stronger muscle relaxers? it's rare but when I get that way the only thing that breaks the cycle is soma. the bottle is 2 years old, giggle and over half full. it is a drug I don't like. makes me spacy and weird. but, it works. so when it's really bad I do take one and go to bed.
do you have anyone there who does massage therapy? when you do it yourself you use the very muscles you are trying to calm down. maybe some p.t. ordered from the doc?
healing hug sib.
peace,
blue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-09-2013, 08:42 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

ladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB Userladybud HB User

Muscle spasms can respond well to calcium and magnesium. I would try 400mg magnesium supplement twice a day and 600mg Calcium twice a day for a few days and see if that doesn't help. The flexeril, heat and massage can all be continued too, and if you have any arthritis, anti-inflammatories like Naproxen (OTC) can help, as spasm is sometimes brought on by arthritic inflammation in the neck. All can be taken together. It may take a few days though to get the muscles to relax, so don't expect immediate relief, just gradual improvement.

The Following User Says Thank You to ladybud For This Useful Post:
bluelakelady (08-10-2013)
Old 08-09-2013, 10:27 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User

Thanks for the replies my friends. Sis, I do have my husband doing the massages. I think we are making SLOW progress. He found 2 knots, one on top of the shoulder and the other right at the crook on the back side. I'm sure when I said hurt me he wished it were in other ways.. hehe but hes getting better at working those knots out. had to get him past that mind block of hurting me. A stronger muscle relaxer sure would help. 2 weeks till my next appt, that's going to be on the top of my list for sure.

Lady bud, I do take magnesium maleate daily. Calcium is off the list, my stomach can't handle it. Have tried the gentlest of calcium supplements and still end up doubled over in stomach pain. Naproxen is also off the list, it doesn't work for me.

I know these things take time to work their course (impatients is creeping in) but it sure is easier when it's the leg or back, at least i could use my arm then.
Right now I can't hold things for long periods, turn my head to the left or raise my arm within 2 inches of my shoulder..Guess I'm just destined to ride this baby out.

Old 08-10-2013, 08:47 AM   #5
Facilitator
(female)

bluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB Userbluelakelady HB User

glad to hear hubby is helping you. getting my saddle out to ride with you. giggle. it's just more fun when you are not alone. giggle. sending you relaxing energy, healing energy and a hug to hubby for being such a cool guy.
some days there is nothing we can do but accept the day as it is. or week, or month, or year, giggle.
hugs and peace dear sib,
blue

Old 08-11-2013, 07:56 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hope that saddle is a soft one sis, I don't want it to irritate your fanny. Hubby is being great, so great he is taking me out for a quick few days of local camping this afternoon. Maybe that will relax the shoulder some. 4 days of R&R hopefully is the best medicine. All I can do is hope the hour drive doesn't kill me

Not a drop of change in the pain level as of yet....pfffftttt

I will gladly accept your relaxing healing energy and take it with me. Hugs to you

Old 08-11-2013, 08:57 AM   #7
Facilitator
(female)

have a lovely time and do relax. no doing anything except lifting utensils to mouth and glasses as well, giggle. give hubby hugs for me. I appreciate him being there for you.
peace,
blue

Old 08-19-2013, 10:06 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Geeze, this thing is a slow mover (except when it's bouncing around on my neck and shoulder) The spasms have decreased in intensity and how often, FINALLY
Not gone yet and still feeling sore and tight in spots. Really starting to wonder if tendonitis found it's way to my shoulder due to 1 severely sensitive spot. Counting the days, one more week till i see a dr.

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: WoodsWalker
catkaru (08-20-2013), gmak (08-26-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

wondering if it could be bursitis sib, but that is usually just pain. dunno? I have that and there is one spot that drops me like a rock if I hit it. ask your doc for an mri of the area. then you will know what is acting up in you.
how was your trip? where did you go and what did you do?
peace,
blue

Old 08-21-2013, 10:00 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

Bursitis, have had that in the past. Wish this was that. When that flare it's ahot pain. The sharp pain is right where
The tendon attaches both on top of the shoulder and near the collar bone with the spasms just above that in my neck.....only a few smaller spasms today so there is some improvement ..about time. We camped under the trees and other than walk the dogs I did nothing but rest that arm.
Enough of my pain, how's your fanny

Old 08-22-2013, 08:19 AM   #11
Facilitator
(female)

hi sibby sib, giggle. glad you rested and took it easy. very happy to hear it is easing off some. maybe you just moved wrong? giggle.
my fanny is still here giving me hades. I could join your side! doing pt for my hip and it's ticking off the rest of me. waiting for ins to approve botox injections. never thought it would come to that but it has. pun not intended. I just keep slathering topical creams on and sitting as little as possible. over 5 years now. amazing what one can adapt to.
many hugs, pretend hugs, not touching you, giggle.
peace,
blue

Old 08-22-2013, 08:40 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

Botox in the Buttocks, something musical about that, lol
Maybe some speedy decision juju is needed by the ins co. Will send some out to them and you.

Old 08-23-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
Facilitator
(female)

giggle. thanks I have a silly song in my head now. you brat! how are you today? thanks for sending speedy juju for me. I am not impatient. it's been here this long a few weeks more or less do not matter. I wonder if I will mourn the loss of my long time "friend"
peace,
blue

Old 08-24-2013, 10:18 AM   #14
Senior Veteran
(female)

Good afternoon! Thanks for asking and caring, you truly are a fibro sister.
Today is the same as the past few.it seems to have gotten stuck and not changed any.

But I'll just keep on keeping on and be happy the spasms have stopped. Not going to let it take any more than the 2 weeks it has from me. It's not often I give in to the pains and spasms so this must have been a dandy to kick me back on my butt. Guess I'll find out tues if it is anything other than FM,my bet is its something.
Time to be get off my butt

Old 08-25-2013, 08:51 AM   #15
Facilitator
(female)

oh sure rub it in. you can sit on your butt. brat! I will hope it is an easy answer and not an issue. denial phase, giggle. did you have something done, like mri or ct to find out? it's an i'm lost day.
you are a great fibro sis to as well as our same name, giggle. have an infection again. just went allergic yesterday to cipro. fun. my urethra is closing. i get to learn to self catheterize if this new therapy does not slow it down. life is so interesting. still trying to see myself doing it. umm, how do i see??? giggle.
i am so glad the spasms stopped. maybe you need some botox. giggle. please let me know what the doc says, kay?
sibhugs and peace,
blue

Last edited by bluelakelady; 08-25-2013 at 08:53 AM.

The following user gives a hug of support to bluelakelady:
catkaru (08-25-2013)
Reply Reply