It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Fibromyalgia Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 09-18-2013, 08:21 PM   #1
(female)

Deedi HB User
Achy legs and hips fibromyalgia

I haven't seen much posted about sore hips and legs, especially in the soft tissue behind the knees. The backs of my thighs hurt as well. I've also read some about upset stomach. I'm having a bad flare up now and my stomach is gurgling constantly and I get waves of nausea. Anyone else experience this with their Fibromyalgia?

The following 2 users give hugs of support to: Deedi
gardeningfool (09-19-2013), Thatsmyjennay (10-12-2013)
Old 09-19-2013, 06:01 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

WoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB UserWoodsWalker HB User
Re: Achy legs and hips fibromyalgia

Hi Deedi, you aren't alone with your pains. I don't get it behind my knees but others do. I get it in the shins and calves. The stomach issue goes along with flu like symptoms i think, and yes I get it. used to think it was the cymbalta causing it but the nausea has continued even after it's been stopped for months.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-19-2013, 04:42 PM   #3
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Hi Deedi, thankfully I do not get the nausea but I can totally relate to the hip pain and achy legs. I have always thought the achy legs was restless leg syndrome bit I am not certain.

Best wishes

Old 09-24-2013, 02:54 PM   #4
(female)

rh277 HB User

Yes, I have both. My rheumy says almost all his fibro patients have some type of stomach distress. When I am hurting, it is almost always my hips & legs. Again, my rheumy says because the fascia is what is affected the most in fibro, the most painful places will be the large muscle groups, eg hips, thighs, etc.

Old 09-24-2013, 07:11 PM   #5
(female)

Benadam5498 HB User

Deedi,
Yes, I have been experiencing waves of nausea and my Pain Management Doctor gave me some Phenegran to take for it. Also, My hips and legs do hurt as well as my lower pack but, now, my arms, neck, shoulders, upper back and chest have been consistently hurting me. So, as of this afternoon, I got a call from Pain Management telling me to come in the morning for a series of Lidoderm/Cortisone shots in my trigger points of my upper body. Then, I have had several family members as well as a very close friend tell me that these shots work but, the shots are VERY painful. Can anyone tell me their opinion of these shots as I am suppose to get them in the early morning?
Thank so much!! As usual, I gain so much insight from reading the posts on this site and appreciate the constant support and encouragement from everyone. Have a great night-

Old 09-25-2013, 11:42 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

Agenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB UserAgenda HB User

Benadam,

I have had these shots in my shoulders and hips and found then very effective while they lasted. I would not consider them very painful, more stinging than pain and over very quickly. Well worth it.

Regards

Old 09-29-2013, 08:35 PM   #7
(male)

Woodsman83709 HB User

Hi, I have not been able to get a diagnosis for the constant pain but by my reading it sounds like fibro.. I am on all the meds that are prescribed and I have good and bad days. To your question my hip, legs, knees and feet all hurt. Yea the soft tissue behind the knee hurts and all seem to be effected by walking when they are flaring. Since my restless legs are under better control the legs seem some better.

Old 09-29-2013, 08:59 PM   #8
(female)

Debra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB User

Deedi, My hips hurt all the time. It really doesn't matter what I do, however, I think I feel it the most at night. I can't rest my hands on my hips at all because it hurts just to touch them. Sometimes I want to ask someone to touch/press them so I can figure out if its real or all in my head! Its a very sad thing to not even be sure of ones own pain. Seriously, it can make me cry sometimes. Um, I haven't noticed pain behind my knees, but my lower back, legs, left knee, right ankle (lol! WOW!) always hurt too. Recently, maybe 3-4 months now, the backs of my heels have been painful. When I lay down on my back, which is the only way I seem to be able to sleep, they are tender. What is crazy, and this is the first time I mention this to anyone, is that the back of my left knee itches! Deep inside the muscle! Its been like this for YEARS! It can drive me insane at times because I can't scratch it in the normal way. I have to like, move that muscle to "scratch" it. I've also had for years and years, a spot on my upper back, closer to my left shoulder blade, that itches. To the point that I used to carry a paint stick (I worked at a large hardware store) around with me to scratch it with!! Now I just look for the nearest "scratching post"! No bug bites, no red marks, no signs of anything at all, just a constant itch. What the heck is up with that???
Lets get back to YOU, shall we?! As far as the upset stomach goes, that comes and goes for me. I find that when the pain is bad, I start to feel sick. Its so hard, really, to have this illness. People ask me to describe to them what it feels like. What do you say? It aches, burns, throbs, feels like pins & needles, oh! and sometimes like I have an elephant leg! Maybe right at the time they're asking my elbow is burning and it hurts to just lift a coffee cup to my mouth. Or all the little bones in my hands and/or feet hurt right thru to the other side. :'( We all feel the same and different at the same time. YUCK. Good luck to you Ps. Forgive me if I wasn't very helpful or uplifting..I think my mood has taken a nose dive lately!! Take care!

Old 09-30-2013, 12:33 AM   #9
(male)

Woodsman83709 HB User
Wink Re: Achy legs and hips fibromyalgia

I agree it is difficult to spend time wondering if the pain is real or if it is just all in your head. Since I have been unable to get a diagnosis, although I am on all the meds, I wonder if the doctors are just placating me. On top of this, being male seems to add a layer of " really fibromyalgia ", that makes me me be extra careful when some inquires as to my health, I am tired of the looks. Hang in there I believe the pain is real and you deserve some relief.

Old 09-30-2013, 05:52 AM   #10
(female)

Thatsmyjennay HB UserThatsmyjennay HB UserThatsmyjennay HB User

I want a shot, lol, no seriously though, y haven't I've been offered that kind of help from my primary Dr. or Rhuemy? Hip pain along with wrist hands knees n neck, does not allow me to sleep past the wee hours of the morning Because of my hips being so painful, I cannot sleep in any position but my back. U all no laying in 1 position for to long is just not gonna work! I miss having the option to change positions while I sleep

Old 09-30-2013, 05:55 AM   #11
(female)

Thatsmyjennay HB UserThatsmyjennay HB UserThatsmyjennay HB User

Y haven I been offered, sorry anal about my typing

Old 10-01-2013, 02:12 AM   #12
(female)

Auntmimi57 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Debra7352 View Post
Deedi, My hips hurt all the time. It really doesn't matter what I do, however, I think I feel it the most at night. I can't rest my hands on my hips at all because it hurts just to touch them. Sometimes I want to ask someone to touch/press them so I can figure out if its real or all in my head! Its a very sad thing to not even be sure of ones own pain. Seriously, it can make me cry sometimes. Um, I haven't noticed pain behind my knees, but my lower back, legs, left knee, right ankle (lol! WOW!) always hurt too. Recently, maybe 3-4 months now, the backs of my heels have been painful. When I lay down on my back, which is the only way I seem to be able to sleep, they are tender. What is crazy, and this is the first time I mention this to anyone, is that the back of my left knee itches! Deep inside the muscle! Its been like this for YEARS! It can drive me insane at times because I can't scratch it in the normal way. I have to like, move that muscle to "scratch" it. I've also had for years and years, a spot on my upper back, closer to my left shoulder blade, that itches. To the point that I used to carry a paint stick (I worked at a large hardware store) around with me to scratch it with!! Now I just look for the nearest "scratching post"! No bug bites, no red marks, no signs of anything at all, just a constant itch. What the heck is up with that???
Lets get back to YOU, shall we?! As far as the upset stomach goes, that comes and goes for me. I find that when the pain is bad, I start to feel sick. Its so hard, really, to have this illness. People ask me to describe to them what it feels like. What do you say? It aches, burns, throbs, feels like pins & needles, oh! and sometimes like I have an elephant leg! Maybe right at the time they're asking my elbow is burning and it hurts to just lift a coffee cup to my mouth. Or all the little bones in my hands and/or feet hurt right thru to the other side. :'( We all feel the same and different at the same time. YUCK. Good luck to you Ps. Forgive me if I wasn't very helpful or uplifting..I think my mood has taken a nose dive lately!! Take care!
Hi, I have to say I understand the odd sensations - well in my own way, I have neuropathy pain from a shingles on top this pain ..that feeling or itch may be a paresthesia..it's not uncommon with fibro!. Get them as well. It presents with each person differently but sounds like it could be that. I'm as said above a nurse but have had docs tell me this...it can be unsettling on top o everything else! You take care now...gtg now-- I'm so sore.

The following user gives a hug of support to Auntmimi57:
Debra7352 (10-01-2013)
Old 10-08-2013, 07:51 PM   #13
(female)

shirlnga HB User

I get nausea but what bothers me most is that I'm exhausted all the time. Can't seem to get enough rest, I wake up tired even tho I seem to be sleeping ok. I have no energy to do things I once could do. I was diagnosed with Fibromyalgia 3 months ago. I'm on Nexium for stomach problems, also have a thyroid problems so I'm no meds for that. My doc wanted to give me Cymbalta but I read the side effects and said NO WAY (two pages long). I'm considering medical marijuana. Anyone here tried it? In my online research I've seen positive comments in the treatment of Fibromyalgia. I don't like taking pills and I'm not a smoker but my neighbor said she would bake me some "weed brownies". I'm a grandmother of 5 and not sure if I'll be sending the wrong signal to them if I do this, even tho it would be medicinal and not recreational.

Old 10-11-2013, 10:02 PM   #14
(female)

Debra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB UserDebra7352 HB User

Hi Shirlnga,
I am with you as far as feeling exhausted all of the time. I just told a friend today how I go to bed so tired and wake up feeling exactly the same way. Its awful. I can have a day or two in between when I feel good, you know, as good as one feels with this BS disease!!! I'd also like to comment on the medical marijuana. I've also researched it and it does seem from some of the comments and websites, that it helps. I don't smoke either (I used to back in the day! ssshhhh!!) but I'm almost tempted to talk to my PM doctor about it. Not brave enough yet!! And honestly, not sure that I WANT to try it. I remember quitting that stuff for a reason! I've been told though, that with the medical marijuana they can increase or decrease the levels of whatever that word is that I cannot for the life of me remember right now!!!! Hahahaaa!!! Anyway, I am not opposed to the idea of it. As a matter of fact I was wondering if anyone on here as ever tried it or thought of it. I think you may very well be the first person I've seen to bring it up!! And no, I do not think you would be sending your grandchildren the wrong message. You know, there are sooooo many things in this world that can get them in trouble or hurt them, and there are soooo many different opinions on all of them! We say go outside and get some sun! Then we say stay out of the sun! Or we say a glass of wine every day is good for us! And we turn around and judge someone who actually does it!!! Its what we teach our (grand)children and the examples we set for them that matter. Once their old enough they are going to make their own choices, we can only hope we have done our very best. Remember, you HAVE to take care of YOURSELF too. So you can feel good enough to enjoy your grandchildren!!! Good luck and let me (us) know what you find out!!! Take care and hang in there <3

Old 10-12-2013, 05:19 AM   #15
(female)

gardeningfool HB User

Shirlnga and Debra,

I am successfully using medical cannabis for my fibro and for neuropathy. What I like about it is that I can control how much I use. I can stop smoking before I feel "high" and it is still effective. I like that it is a natural alternative to the medications out there. It does come with its own set of side effects, but they are, for me, much more tolerable than anything big pharma can produce. There are different strains of cannabis with different properties, some better for pain, some better for nausea, some better for sleep. Something your doctor will explain to you. Also there are many different delivery methods if smoking is not your choice.
I prefer not to smoke in front of my nieces and nephews. It avoids questions at their age.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gardeningfool For This Useful Post:
Auntmimi57 (11-04-2013), Debra7352 (10-14-2013)
Reply Reply

Tags
fibromyalgia