It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

iWalk 2.0

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 01-10-2017, 04:13 PM   #1
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User
iWalk 2.0

I'm having a Brostrom done on Monday, and I've already got crutches and a knee scooter (well, haven't gotten that yet, but I've got the Rx for it)...

Is the iWalk 2.0 worth it? It looks great, but it's also expensive...however, it might help me get back to work faster because it's less cumbersome than a scooter...right?

When I do go back, it'll only be short (4 hour) shifts, and if I do need to take it off for any reason, we've got a break room with an awesome couch with lots of room, and of course, I'm entitled to a 15 minute break so I could take that and not have to get too fatigued.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-10-2017, 06:22 PM   #2
Boston D
(female)

Boston D HB User
Thumbs down Re: iWalk 2.0

I recently had several procedures and wanted to get the iWalk 2.0. My surgeon could not have been more against it and now on this side of the surgery I can see why. He said if you lose balance, you could fall and not being able to take the iWalk off that easily could cause serious harm.

I thought about all he said, read about taking it on and off and my opinion is don't do it. If you fall you could end up a lot worse than you started... just my personal opinion. I'm sixty years old and don't need any more broken bones but that's just me.

Good luck with your surgery!

Old 01-11-2017, 10:55 AM   #3
NanceDance
(female)

NanceDance HB User
Re: iWalk 2.0

I am 5 weeks out from surgery, and have a walker and a knee scooter.

I don't really feel like I am missing any additional assist devices, but I guess everyone is different.

Good luck with your surgery!

Old 01-11-2017, 03:28 PM   #4
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Thanks for the input I only think the iWalk would be useful for me because I work in retail so I'm on my feet all day, and I don't think a scooter would be all that easy to maneuver through the aisles when working with customers. But I can always cross that bridge when I get there.

Old 01-12-2017, 08:49 AM   #5
NanceDance
(female)

NanceDance HB User

yeah, I hear ya.
My kitchen is really narrow and I have trouble maneuvering the scooter in there.

The turning radius on those things sucks!!

Old 01-12-2017, 07:25 PM   #6
leftankle16
(female)

leftankle16 HB User

Best of luck with your surgery! I am about 12 weeks post-Brostrom and post-peroneal tendon debridement/repair/subluxation correction. I used primarily crutches and a knee scooter (I think the brand was Drive Medical). For me, I was in a cast for 6 weeks, then a walker boot for the next 5 weeks and just recently got the ankle brace last week. I can tell you i'm still working on walking and i'm using one crutch or a cane to help me get around short distances. Recovery is no joke! I found it difficult to place my leg in the knee scooter while i was in the cast, i felt a lot of pain in my ankle. Even when i had the walker boot it took some time to get comfortable on the knee scooter. I'm not sure if you would be comfortable in the iWalk if you were still in the cast. Crutches were and still are my best friend

I too have a job where I need to walk and be mobile, and I work very long shifts. At first I took 6 weeks off work, then 8, then I ended up taking the full 12 week using my FMLA/short term disability. I highly recommend taking as much time as you are able to because the recovery process is a difficult one. My surgery was 10/11/16 and I just started working last week and it was tough. I am still using the knee scooter to get around at work because I can only tolerating walking short distances. This will get better I am in physical therapy and see improvement each week. Get any assistive device you need if you think it will make life easier

Old 01-12-2017, 07:49 PM   #7
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I'm getting back to work as soon as my doctor says I can go back, pain or not! I work part time so I don't have any benefits which really sucks cause if I did I could use PTO for a few weeks of this whole ordeal.

I'm gonna see how things go with the scooter before I spend more money on something I may or may not need and/or even like. Crutches really aren't an option at my job since I work in retail and constantly have to bend over for product placement and/or getting it for a customer. I also bought a highly rated comfort cover for the knee scooter off Amazon, so hopefully that'll make things more comfortable.

Old 01-13-2017, 09:57 AM   #8
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Got my knee scooter today

It'll definitely be good around my parents house and for work. Definitely not so good for my apartment...but I went through my apartment on crutches [again -- I was on crutches for a bit awhile ago] and it's not bad.

Old 01-16-2017, 01:30 AM   #9
ccars16
(female)

ccars16 HB User

I am 10 weeks out now, but I only got crutches and was fine with those

Old 01-16-2017, 06:12 PM   #10
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccars16 View Post
I am 10 weeks out now, but I only got crutches and was fine with those
But do you have a job where standing and walking is literally half of it? Cause I do...

I'm still gonna try the scooter out first and see, but it'll sure be a welcome change from crutches! I have already spent too much of my life on crutches! That's not to say I won't use the crutches, just that having something easier and more comfortable seems like a better option.

Old 01-16-2017, 07:21 PM   #11
ccars16
(female)

ccars16 HB User

My job is a lot of long hours on my feet, but I took off work for like 8 weeks. If I had to go back to work with a cast I for
sure would have needed the scooter!

Old 01-17-2017, 01:08 AM   #12
missyou009
Senior Veteran
(female)

missyou009 HB User

I'm going back to work the second my doctor says I can! I took 4 weeks off, but will take less or more off depending on what he says.

Reply Reply