It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Boot is too heavy, options?

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 06-15-2017, 11:30 AM   #1
sherri1802
(female)

sherri1802 HB User
Boot is too heavy, options?

On 5/31/17 I was walking down the stairs with a laundry basket, I couldn't see where I was going to when I got to the bottom I stepped on my son's shoes and rolled my ankle out. I heard a snap and dropped to the ground. Immediately went to the ER in extreme pain and the xrays showed I broke my fibula more specifically the lateral malleolus (clean break non displaced). They referred me to an orthopedic surgeon who did no further test, acted like it was no big deal despite that after a week I still had extreme pain, swelling and could bear NO weight. He took off my temporary cast and put me in a boot. I quickly found out the boot was too heavy for me to lift off the ground so I couldn't even go to the bathroom. He didn't care offered, no other solution. I sought out a second opinion within days. He agreed it was odd I couldn't lift the boot and ordered a MRI (and put a new temporary cast on that's only hard on the bottom). MRI results haven't came back but he looked at it and says tendons look intact but the cuboid bone is broken and thinks that is what is causing my issue with weight. Since it had been a week he asked that I try the boot again, he's afraid to cast me because we won't know if it's too heavy until after it's on. Anyways I can lift it a little now, enough for quick trips to the bathroom (keep in mind I'm still non weight bearing and he wants it like that for 2 more wks). I'm miserable in this boot it hurts my fibula above the break and is very bulky and heavy (or at least it seems like it, this is the lightest he had). Has anyone else had this issue what was your treatment plan? Did you have a cast or boot?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-19-2017, 10:38 AM   #2
TheJumper
(female)

TheJumper HB User
Re: Boot is too heavy, options?

Are you using crutches? Could you borrow a wheelchair or a scooter to help you get around?

I understand the discomfort in the weight and bulkiness of the boot. I had both legs in them for 12 weeks and had to sleep with them for most of that. The doctor may be concerned about you putting weight on it which is why something firm is required but because I was in a wheelchair anyway, I was able to have a soft cast with a splint on for part of the time.

Hang in there.

Reply Reply