It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Toe Fusion having problems

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 02:05 AM   #1
changed4life
(male)

changed4life HB User
Unhappy Toe Fusion having problems

Hi everyone,
I am writing to whoever wants to help me bring some light to my situation.
So my story begins with sometime last year 2016 i went to the doctor and he said i had to get an MRI done before he could do anything to help me so i did. He said i had plantar fibroma in my right big toe so we decided on surgery to take the shredded tissue out. The first surgery went well and i was able to be on my foot again without any pain or so i thought until less then a year fast forwarding to this year i started having bad pain in my toe again. I went back to the same doctor and he studied my foot even further and found out that my right toe bone was bigger then the other or so he said (why he didn't notice the first time i have no idea) which was why it was causing a massive amount of pressure on my right big toe. He then talked about my options which were physical therapy and orthotics but then he mentioned and also recommended a TOE FUSION which he described to me as something that would fix the problem and get me on my way back to life and work without any other problems. So the doctor then asked what i wanted to do and said the other options probably wouldn't work so i naturally answered well i've already been through one surgery for the same thing and i don't really want to mask the problem i want to take care of it. To make a long story short it has been 4 months after my surgery in April on the 19th and I can not be on my feet for longer then a few hours until my toe starts hurting a lot. I have been to two doctors since and they both said the x-rays show my bone is fused solid. Ok so if it is fused solid then why do i have sharp pain in my toe? Some of you guys might mention its because of the screws and pin that were used to fuse the bone. The doctor that did my surgery said sometimes patients do get inflammation from the screws so i got a second opinion because i no longer trusted the first doctor. My new doctor has determined that i need to get a CAT scan to see if the bone really did fuse all the way even though the x-rays show it did. On top of the sharp pain i now have a very painful bump under my big toe to the right side which my new doctor said that needs to be addressed because that could be from when the old doctor cut the joint bone out when he fused your toe. What??? At this point i have very little hope and i trust doctors even less now. Please can anyone shed any light to this ???

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2017, 04:50 AM   #2
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User
Re: Toe Fusion having problems

I am hoping your surgeon was a Foot & Ankle Board certified orthopedic surgeon. That being said, I had a big toe fusion 2 years ago. Within 4 months we knew the hardware was going to have to be removed. However, I had to wait a full year as my surgeon wanted to be sure it was fused. I had 2 screws that were causing issues. The one on the top has completely healed. The one underneath and to the right side is about 80%. I realize that nerves sometimes don't heal 100% but I'm good where it is now as it only hurts under certain conditions -one being dancing - and with lidocaine cream and a cotton ball cushion under the joint, I'm good to go.

Old 08-12-2017, 11:28 PM   #3
changed4life
(male)

changed4life HB User

Hey Titchou thanks for the reply. My surgeon was a DPM at a foot and ankle place so i'm not sure if that means he is certified or not. It sounds like you had way more success with the surgery then i did. At least the doctor told you that it was the screws for sure and not one out of thirty this happens to and that person is you but he wasn't quite sure if thats what is causing my pain... So after four months how much pain did you have? What kind of things were you able to do at that stage? What kind of things weren't you able to do? I'm just very frustrated at this point because both doctors said the bone was fused solid and know the doctor that is currently taking care of me said i should get a CAT scan to see if the bone really is fused all the way. Then he's talking about another surgery on the right side of the my toe because there is a bump there that wasn't there before the second surgery. So if i have another surgery this will be the third surgery.

Old 08-13-2017, 05:02 AM   #4
Titchou
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

DPMs typically do not get the extra certification.They also do not have as much training as an orthopedic surgeon.Their schooling and residencies are not as long. I've had 5 foot surgeries total and would never consider letting my pod operate....even as much as I like him and trust him for other issues. I had stabbing pains in two places that were exactly where screws were located. That was pretty consistent the whole year till I had the hardware removed. I STRONGLY suggest getting an opinion from an ortho who is F& A Board certified.

Reply Reply