It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

Brostrom proceedure

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 08-12-2017, 05:06 PM   #1
Newsy1
(male)

Newsy1 HB User
Brostrom proceedure

I'm scheduled to have a brostrom procedure next month at the Mayo Clinic. I'll be honest, I'm nervous about it. I have had problems with ankle instability for at least 15 years. Ever 12 to 24 months, my ankle will go e out on my while I'm doing ordinary activities. It results in a serious fall. (I've broken bones and had serious contusions.) A physician diagnosed me as a candidate for a Brostrom 10 years ago. But I've been putting it off. Who wants to be laid up for an extended period? I want to know what to expect from the proceedure. Here are my questions tions:
1. How long did it take before you were able to walk normally after the surgery?
2. How would you describe the post surgery pain level.
3. Did you undergo physical therapy?
4. Was your I initial cast over the knee or below the knee?
5. How easy was it to get around with the boot?
6. At what point did you experience no discomfort when walking.
7. If you had it to do over again, would you have the proceedure done?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-12-2017, 06:13 PM   #2
leftankle16
(female)

leftankle16 HB User
Re: Brostrom proceedure

Hi, I had a brostrom with my peroneal tendon repair, my ortho said its the same recovery process so I will try my best to answer your questions. If you are going to mayo clinic you should be in good hands! I had my procedure in October 2016.
1)walking normal is subjective, I would say about 5-6 months to completely stop limping from the pain/soreness.
2) I did have a lot of pain and required pain meds for the first 4 weeks. I was in a cast, non-weight bearing for 6 weeks, CAM walker boat another 6 weeks, then to a brace for a month or so after that. The pain is with walking again and putting pressure on that foot. But if you push through that there is a light a the end of the tunnel
3) I did 4-5 months of PT total, started it while i was in my cast to regain my upper body strength.
4) my cast was below the knee
5) The boot was okay, for me i'm petite and had a taller CAM boot so I felt it was heavy. I rolled around in one of those knee scooters at work and used crutches at home. The knee scooter was great. You can get on one amazon for a reasonable price.
6) I would say at the 5-6 month mark i was more mobile with no real post surgical discomfort, i still have some soreness but okay. I also have scarring on a nerve that i may need another surgery for but thats more of an unfortunate complication. Thats what my current pain is from.
7) I would do it over again for sure. I always rolled/sprained my ankle just even by walking or being clumsy, i notice it more stable and firmer. I don't regret doing it.

Old 08-12-2017, 10:24 PM   #3
keri445
(female)

keri445 HB Userkeri445 HB User

I have had 2 brostrom type procedures on my right foot, the first was a basic brostrom and the second was a lateral ligament reconstruction with cadaver tendon and peroneal repair but both had similar recoveries.

1. Both surgeries I was nwb for 4 weeks and then slowly transitioned to walking in a boot without crutches by week 8. And was walking normally without a boot between 10-12 weeks

2. After my first surgery I had zero pain and went to a parade two days after the surgery without and problem. My second surgery was way more painful but not too bad considering the extent of the work that was done. I had to stay home from school for a week and a half bc any time I would set my foot lower than my heart it would start throbbing in pain. If you are offered a nerve block for pain definitely take it, it will get you through the worst of the pain.

3. My first surgery I did not go through PT bc my surgeon said I was so young and fit that I didn't need it. Which didn't work out for me at all. My second surgery I went through PT for about 5 months total and it really made a noticeable difference. I felt like I was more able to transition into walking and normal activities a lot more pain free than I did the second surgery without PT. PT is also helpful just for guidance throughout recovery.

4. Below the knee. Very heavy plaster surgical cast

5. Very easy to get around with a boot. If you wear a shoe with a thick sole it will be helpful so that you aren't so lopsided but overall it doesn't get in the way too much. The most difficult time to get around is with crutches. I would highly recommend a knee scooter. Crutches in the house are okay but the scooter will be very helpful on longer walks.

6. I still have not experienced no discomfort as both of my surgeries have failed and I am having a 3rd surgery in December. But I would say it is typical anywhere around the 6month-1 year mark. Most of the healing is complete at 6 months but full healing is typically 1 year.

7. From my personal experience If I could go back I would not have ever had the surgery or would have chosen a better surgeon to perform it. I honestly feel like it has given me more problems than it has solved. But I am a very rare case and typically brostrom does not fail and has fantastic results. But I think with you going to Mayo Clinic and since it has been long awaited it will truly be a life changer for the better. Good luck with the surgery and let me know if you have any more questions at all!

Last edited by keri445; 08-12-2017 at 10:28 PM.

Old 08-14-2017, 03:34 AM   #4
jird
(female)

jird HB User

I think I had an unusually easy recovery compared to many others. Maybe partly because I was so young (18 years old) at the time of surgery. Anyway, here's my answers to your questions.

1. I was put in a circular fibreglass cast right after the surgery and was allowed weight bearing as tolerated immediatly after the surgery. Stayed NWB for maybe three days, then PWB with crutches for about a week, and then FWB. I could walk completely normally with the cast (the nurses were surprised with how easy I walked) and I didn't lose too much calf muscle. Actually a walked so much that my cast broke - got a large hole so my heel would stick out and it cracked over the ankle, so I had to fix it with tape . When the cast got off after 6 weeks I walked pretty much normally. Of course the ankle felt weak in the beginning and I might have wlaked with a slight limp the first few days, I don't really remember. Of course I had some pain afterwards, but not so much that it would affect my gait noticably.

2. Not bad at all. The foot would throb and sometimes there were a sharp pain at the incision area, but not in any way intolerable. The first few days it would only hurt bad when I forgot that my foot was in a cast and by mistake put all my weight on it when I got up from the bed... Don't do that . I got some pain meds prescribed (500mg Kodein if I remember correctly, to be taken four times a day for two weeks. However, I got very nauseous from the medicine so I stopped taking it after two days or so. As I didn't notice any increase in pain, I did'nt ask for a prescription of some other substance, but stopped completely with pain killers. But then again, I think my recovery is of an exception. Most people seem to have a lot more pain than I had.

3. I dit undergo PT sessions regularly for about three to four months. However, PT in the US seems to involve massage, ultrasound, and even acupuncture. Where I live PT usually is simple balance, stretching and strength excercises to help regain full strength, ROM and proprioception. I did the excercises at home ecery day and had follow ups with my PT.

4. The cast were below the knee. I think this is the most common.

5. I never had a boot, just a fibre glass cast with a cast shoe. Then into a soft athletic brace which I wore all my waking hours for two weeks, and after that only for PT/excercising.

6. Hard to say, as I still experience discomfort due to an subluxing peroneal tendon... I think I would be pain free though, weren't it for that injury. I don't think my current pain has anything to do with the Broström surgery.

7. Yes, I think so. My ankle is completely stable and never rolls anymore, even with the current tendon injury (that I will have surgery on in a week). Before the surgery it gave out frequently, even when just walking on flat ground.

Old 08-16-2017, 04:36 AM   #5
Mycats
(female)

Mycats HB UserMycats HB UserMycats HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Newsy1 View Post
I'm scheduled to have a brostrom procedure next month at the Mayo Clinic. I'll be honest, I'm nervous about it. I have had problems with ankle instability for at least 15 years. Ever 12 to 24 months, my ankle will go e out on my while I'm doing ordinary activities. It results in a serious fall. (I've broken bones and had serious contusions.) A physician diagnosed me as a candidate for a Brostrom 10 years ago. But I've been putting it off. Who wants to be laid up for an extended period? I want to know what to expect from the proceedure. Here are my questions tions:
1. How long did it take before you were able to walk normally after the surgery?
2. How would you describe the post surgery pain level.
3. Did you undergo physical therapy?
4. Was your I initial cast over the knee or below the knee?
5. How easy was it to get around with the boot?
6. At what point did you experience no discomfort when walking.
7. If you had it to do over again, would you have the proceedure done?
I had bilateral instability, but also had fractured left ankle so we decided to bromstrom when we went in on left. It was great, my left was nice and stable, until I got into car and Driver started to move car and it caused repair to fail, about 8 months later. Had a revision and ankle felt stable, but had pain due to subluxation of peroneal tendon and stress reactions. Revision failed about 5 months later and had chrisman snook done where they found that I had a significant tear in peroneal tendon that never showed up on mri and may have been cause of second failure. Right ankle failed bromstrom right away never felt stable, when cast came off. Surgeon said he never had this happen before, but had chrisman snook and now ankle stable.

1. Except for my right ankle bromstrom I was walking normally in 3 months.

2. Pain was bad 1 few days after surgery, after a week I had hardly any need for pain meds and by 2 weeks I did not need are all.

3. I had about 3 months pt after each surgery. I had tried pt after bromstrom but it did not help.

4. Surgical splint 2 weeks, 4 weeks Below knee cast, NWB for 6 weeks.

5. Boot was not hard to get around, I was PWB for 2 weeks then transitioned to FWB.

6. My left ankle I experienced discomfort due to subluxation after bromstrom, but no pain. After chrisman snook, I had no discomfort after 3 months. My right I have discomfort because of posterior tibial tendon issue, but nothing because of surgery.

7. Because the bromstrom was working so well on left ankle until trauma, I would have done it again. The right ankle no I would not have done it again after experience with left, would have gone straight to chrisman snook. It was discussed but decided against, my surgeon felt bad when he had to go in again, but it was mutual decision. But now I had 2 stable ankles and I never fall, I used to fall all the time. That's what years of sprains playing sports when young can do. The other day I stepped on cat toy and I was like in the past I would have fallen and now I don't. So although my case is unusual I am happy with end results. I can finally finish my masters in social work this year, needed medical leave last year because of right ankle issues, school was not helpful when it came to internship.

Reply Reply