It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board

ankle fusion vs. repair

Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 09-13-2017, 07:39 PM   #1
MoneyHandle
(female)

MoneyHandle HB User
ankle fusion vs. repair

I am hoping someone can offer some insight.
I have had 6 procedures on my left ankle. I fell and tore all of my lateral ligaments and peroneal tendons many years ago and we have played "Humpty Dumpty" with my ankle. I see a very well respected ankle and foot surgeon. I currently have cadaver tendons for my ligaments and tendons, internal bracing (carbon fiber brace) to help support where the ligaments should be, and a heel osteotomy. In Dec 2016, I had bone spurs/arthritis that was pressing on nerves so we did my 6th procedure to remove the bone which helped with the pain.
On July 4th, I took a fall and seriously rolled my ankle. I knew I hurt it but wore my boot and then brace and did my home exercises hoping it would get better. It has not gotten any better and it is unstable (rolls over easily), swollen and painful. I saw my surgeon today and my ankle has become "loose" again. He is not very happy, I am not either.
We know I need another surgery. We discussed the options. I don't feel like either one is good. He said he could go back in for the 7th time and replace the cadaver tendons with new ones and add more internal bracing. I am worried that we just continue to fix the problem for a bit and then I hurt it again and we start over. Each surgery has caused more scar tissue and nerve damage. The other option is to go ahead and fuse my ankle. This is worrisome since I know since I am active and on my feet all day for my job that this will cause other joints to start having problems (knee, hip and back) with the change of gait. He did say that I would have more motion than most people with a fusion since my ankle has so much play in it already and I don't have too much arthritis.
So has anyone ever been in this situation and what did you decide and what was the outcome? Or does anyone have any insight on what they would do? I am 45 years old and pretty active. As I said my job is active and I am on my feet almost all day.
Thanks for any help/words of advice you can offer.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 09-25-2017, 06:10 PM   #2
LadyKanner
Senior Veteran
(female)

LadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB UserLadyKanner HB User
Re: ankle fusion vs. repair

All I can speak from is personal experience. If I had to do it all over again I would run and not have a fusion. It caused more issues than it fixed and I can no longer do a lot of the things I enjoyed. I had my surgery about 4 years ago and still suffer from it. I am 37 and regret it daily. Your issues could very well be far different. I had two joints fused. The talonavicular and subtalar.

According to my second opinion I had (after three surgeries), my surgery should have never happened. He was at UNC. He told me he would never suggest a fusion for anyone under 50.

I wish you the best! Hope this helps a little! These boards were very helpful to me in the past. I just happened to stop by here tonight after researching an elbow issue. Hahaha

Old 09-26-2017, 01:13 PM   #3
MoneyHandle
(female)

MoneyHandle HB User
Re: ankle fusion vs. repair

Thanks LadyKanner! I am sorry your fusion did not work as hoped. I have decided to do the fusion after much research and speaking with my PT who has rehabbed my ankle for most of my surgeries. I am planning on having the surgery around Thanksgiving.
Hopefully you fix your elbow problems! Good luck!

Reply Reply