It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 11-06-2003, 04:39 PM   #1

chinook HB User
Achilles lengthening - Yea or nay

After having had plantar fasciitis for 6 years my doctor has recommended a gastroc slide. Has anyone else has this and what happened? Would you do it again? I'm pretty scared.

Old 11-13-2003, 01:35 PM   #2
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User
Hi Chinook
I know on a tendon -- such as the achilles -- a slide can be done to lengthen it if it is contracted (as in my case). Since the gastrocnemius is a muscle, I didn't think a slide could be done on it. Perhaps your doc meant sliding the tendons attached to the gastroc to relieve tension?

Prisc1125

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 11-13-2003, 02:48 PM   #3
Inactive

letsrun100 HB User
Chinook,

I'm two weeks post-op. I had bilateral Austin bunionectomy, neuromas and gastroc recession (slide) done on both legs. My understanding of this procedure is that the tendon connecting the gastrocnemius muscle and the soleus muscle is cut to allow the foot to dorsiflex more normally and allow less forefoot impact during the gait cycle. I'm sure there are probably other reasons for doing the procedure.

I was surprised at the amount of discomfort post surgery, but it's getting much better now. If I could stretch more I'm sure this wouldn't be a problem, my mobility is limited because of the boots I'm wearing. The incisions are about 3 inches long just below mid-calf.

One thing that is of minor concern for me is the numbness on the side of my left leg about level with the incision extending down along my left foot. Doc says he had to "stretch" the nerve to get to the tendon. He says this will go away in time and I'll have full feeling. He's done a great job with all the other "stuff" I had done, so I have no reason to doubt what he's telling me. I'm not experiencing this with my right foot.

Here's a website I found when I plugged in "gastroc recession" in the Google search engine.

[URL=http://whymyfoothurts.com/conditions/equinus.html]Gastroc Recession[/URL]

Old 11-13-2003, 06:34 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User
Hi Letsrun100
I guess the gastroc recession is the slide I was not aware of -- at least as the alternative name. I think this procedure is one my ortho has in mind for me.
I have spastic CP and had 4 reconstructive foot surgeries, the last one in Feb to relieve calf pressure by relengthening the FDL and re-releasing my toes that clawed. I am still having painful toe "pull-downs" and calf spasms despite all kinds of approaches, including muscle stim. During a recent visit with my ortho, he briefly mentioned a gastroc recession that is supposed to have the same effect as botox, but more permanent. I am quite nervous about it if this is the case, since botox did not work for me.

Was this recession done as a last resort too? Did the doctor refer you to a neuro at all prior to it? What did he give for a prognosis?

Thanks much....

Prisc1125

Old 11-15-2003, 11:19 AM   #5
Inactive

letsrun100 HB User
prisc1125,

My doctor called the procedure a "gastroc recession". I've only seen it referred to as "gastroc slide" on one other website.

Sounds like you've had some serious foot problems, I can't imagine going through all that you have.

>Was this recession done as a last resort too?<
Sort of. I did all the stretching that my doctor advised, but still had problems. This was the most efficient way to get my foot to move more freely, thus lessening the amount of forefoot impact during the gait cycle.

>Did the doctor refer you to a neuro at all prior to it?<
No.

>What did he give for a prognosis?<
The prognosis is that I'll be able to run long distances relatively pain free, at least my feet won't hurt like they did before.

Good Luck.

Old 11-15-2003, 01:50 PM   #6
Veteran
(female)

prisc1125 HB User
Hi there
Yeah, I had a ton of foot problems and my foot is super uncooperative.
I ran a marathon 5 yrs ago and that became the beginning of the end....esp for my running career! Least I got to do it!

How bad was the recovery for the recession? Do you have any residuals now?

I am due to see a neuro in two weeks.....hope to get some answers as to why my calf continues to spasm as it does.

Cheers
Prisc1125

The Following User Says Thank You to prisc1125 For This Useful Post:
myleftfoot1 (05-25-2012)
Old 12-27-2008, 01:40 AM   #7
(female)

ellasnana HB User
Red face Re: Achilles lengthening - Yea or nay

I have just had bilateral gastrocnemius slides put in both legs due to very severe plantar fasilitlis. Only had it done a week ago but Im really hoping that its going to work as its really sore at the moment and Im very limited with mobililty having to wear moon boots for 3 weeks all the time and then again for a further 4 weeks at night.
Has anyone had good results with this surgery as I really need some encouragement I just feel like giving up today

The Following User Says Thank You to ellasnana For This Useful Post:
myleftfoot1 (05-25-2012)
Closed Thread