It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-08-2003, 06:45 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

sawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB Usersawbuck44 HB User
Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy

Well, I've finally decided to get this surgery. I've tried cortisone shot, anti-inflamatory medicine, icing, even had physical therapy (along with pt for my bunion removal). Surgery is going to be on Monday, Jan 12. I am going to Disney on March 11. The doctor and a friend who had the same surgery said I would be fine by then.

Any comments from people who've had this surgery? Tips, recovery time?!
Thanks!

Old 12-08-2003, 08:59 AM   #2
(male)

ronnald HB User
Re: Endoscopic Plantar Fasciotomy

10 months ago I went to a podiatrist for sever pain and burning in my feet she said is was PF. And jsust last week my GP doctor confirm that I had Plantar Fisciitis last week. I've just started doing stretching exercises which I "think" have been helping. I'm very skeptical since I've had this foot pain for months now.

I think for surgery they release the tendon? Is that correct?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-08-2003, 11:25 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Here is a quick overview:

The procedure utilizes specially designed instruments that allow the surgeon to directly visualize the foot structures on a video screen while making two small incisions on the foot - one on each side of the foot. Two small incisions are made in the plantar fascia to release the tension. Most patients are able to return to work within a week and resume their normal pace within a month. Scar tissues fills the space where the cuts were made so the tendon is longer.

Old 12-09-2003, 06:31 PM   #4
(female)

jacksinn HB User

I had an EFP in October. You cant even see a scar! I wasnt working in a week though. 5 weeks before I was back to work. I stand on my feet for 8 hours a day maybe that is why. The surgery was virtually pain free. It was worth it. Esp. since i could no longer walk at all by the time I had the surgery. I too had tried everything!
Good Luck!

Old 12-10-2003, 12:51 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

You were out of work for 5 weeks?! My doctor said that the 15 minute surgery is going to be done in the morning on Monday and I could return to work on Wednesday. I really need to because I was out for 7 weeks when I had a bunion and nerve tumor removed from my other foot.

Do you think I'll be good to go Disney by March?

Old 12-10-2003, 05:37 PM   #6
(female)

jacksinn HB User

After I wrote the last post I also remember the fact that I have high arches added time to my recovery. He did tell me that runners that have this surgery are back to running after 3 weeks only if they go to PT. Are you sure your having surgery for plantar facitis? I know quite a few people in the medical field who have had this done and none of them were back to work for at least 4 weeks.

Old 12-10-2003, 05:49 PM   #7
(female)

jacksinn HB User

Yes you will be fine by March. I have to tell you that my foot still feels a little tender were some scar tissue has formed but its nothing compared to my pre surgery pain. Now Im dealing with tarsal tunnel in the same foot. Hope that goes away without surgery! I should mention that I have extremelu high arches and that added to my recovery time. Ask your Dr. how you put a shoe on with stiches in the sides of your feet.I was told not to shower until the stiches came out. I dont go to work without showering. I had 3 stiches on each side of the foot and they werent removed for 5 days. Just a few things to think about.

Old 01-20-2004, 12:42 PM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

Hi! I am a week postop and doing well. I did not go back to work in two days - more like 8 days. I was able to put a sneaker on yesterday and today I've been wearing them all day. I won't get stitches out until 1/26. Two on each side of foot. My one worry is that the main tendon for support has been cut. Although the pain is relieved I still can't help thinking that I'll rip the part of the tendon that isn't cut. Jitters, I'm sure that won't happen. I haven't researched the horror stories of this type of surgery...

Old 09-24-2006, 08:51 PM   #9
(male)

jgm77055 HB User

i will talk to my dr about this it sounds as if i need it
James

Old 10-15-2006, 08:12 PM   #10
(male)

buckeyebill HB User

Don't do it. Surgery does nothing for the cause of plantar fascitis, which is a tight achilles. Achilles stretching is mentioned in passing or in PT, but it is the cure. It is never mentioned as the central cure that it is. It takes a long time to make your achilles tight enough to cause pain so it take a long time to stretch it out. Most people aren't patient enough because it can take up to 6 months and think it doesn't work or didn't do their stretching and most podiatrists either don't know enough to know it is the cause or they would rather do surgery and are into making money. Plantar Fascitis is a nonsurgical problem. It is a flexibility problem.

Last edited by buckeyebill; 10-15-2006 at 08:13 PM.

Closed Thread