It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-24-2003, 12:02 PM   #1
(female)

caligirl1 HB User
Question Staying in shape while recovering from Bunion Surgery?

I am having my Bunion Surgery January 16th and am very fit concious. I am a size 6, and DON'T want to gain any weight. Did any of you find you lost or gained while recovering? Did you have an appetite?

Last edited by gsxrgirl; 12-24-2003 at 12:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 01:29 PM   #2

carolcrone HB User
Re: Staying in shape while recovering from Bunion Surgery?

My surgery was 12/23. I'm back at work today 12/30, sitting down. Believe me the only exercise you'll want the first 3 days is hauling yourself to the bathroom. Crutch work is VERY strenuous. Cut down on carbs & sugar & move your arms & 'good' leg while you're down. They say to move knee & ankle on 'bad' leg too!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 12-30-2003, 04:07 PM   #3
(female)

caligirl1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by carolcrone
My surgery was 12/23. I'm back at work today 12/30, sitting down. Believe me the only exercise you'll want the first 3 days is hauling yourself to the bathroom. Crutch work is VERY strenuous. Cut down on carbs & sugar & move your arms & 'good' leg while you're down. They say to move knee & ankle on 'bad' leg too!

Good! Atleast I know my thought of going back to work a week or 2 later is ok. People thought I should wait longer, but in my situation I cannot. My job wouldn't be very happy!

Old 01-05-2004, 10:02 AM   #4

carolcrone HB User

At first people thought I was insane to return to work 1 week after surgery, but it works if you don't have to stand or walk a lot on your job. I ride with a guy who lives near me & have a lot of help at home to get me ready in the morning! Also there are no steps to climb to get into the office. The problem was I just didn't have that much sick leave built up, so I had to go back. If you take pillows, ice packs, lunch, etc to work, you can manage. Going down the hall to the ladies' room was a major ordeal the first few days, but now that I can put my foot down, it's not so bad. Hopefully I'll be driving in a couple of days. Getting back to fitness, the original question, I think you do have to cut back a little on food & definitely snacks, because you're not exercising at the previous level. I haven't gained any weight, but I'm not starving either!

Old 01-14-2004, 05:14 AM   #5

dutchpup HB User

Good question. I had the same concerns, since I am an avid runner and tennis player. I am 3 months post-op, and am still not released for full activity. My surgery was a bunionectomy AND a toe fusion, which takes a long time to completely heal. My experience was this: no appetite for the first couple of weeks, but I forced myself to eat really healthy...lots of milk and protein, etc. After that, I was able to do easy things like non-weight bearing pilates, crunches, etc. I'm happy to report I haven't gained any weight at all. Personally, I think it's also due to muscle loss, but that should change quickly once I am back up and running. Good luck; if you're healthy and fit now, you'll be healthy and fit afterwards, I'm sure.

Old 01-14-2004, 05:24 AM   #6
(female)

caligirl1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by dutchpup
Good question. I had the same concerns, since I am an avid runner and tennis player. I am 3 months post-op, and am still not released for full activity. My surgery was a bunionectomy AND a toe fusion, which takes a long time to completely heal. My experience was this: no appetite for the first couple of weeks, but I forced myself to eat really healthy...lots of milk and protein, etc. After that, I was able to do easy things like non-weight bearing pilates, crunches, etc. I'm happy to report I haven't gained any weight at all. Personally, I think it's also due to muscle loss, but that should change quickly once I am back up and running. Good luck; if you're healthy and fit now, you'll be healthy and fit afterwards, I'm sure.

Have you lost weight from not eating a lot? LOL! That would be a plus for me...

Old 01-14-2004, 07:13 AM   #7

twobadfeet HB User

Weight gain is a concern, but I've read that this is not the time to diet. After foot surgery--especially anything that involves cutting bone--the bones need to repair themselves in order to knit properly, and that takes good nutrition. Calcium and protein are the most important for a complete recovery from this type of surgery. You may not want to go as far as I did (in drinking Boost with extra protein and Boost with extra calcium) daily for the first few weeks, because of the weight-gain issue, but my doctor was VERY happy with how quickly and completely my bones healed. Just be sure to give your body what it needs to heal. And good luck; we'll be thinking of you.

twobadfeet

Old 01-15-2004, 06:40 PM   #8

carriejean HB User

Drnking Boost with calcium sounds like a good suggestion. I take Fosamax which builds bone mass, hoping that will help with my foot. Don't worry about weight gain, you will burn plenty of energy struggling to get around.

Closed Thread