It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 12-31-2003, 03:32 PM   #1

Joanne8902 HB User
Tear of Anterior Calcaneofibular Ligament

I have had persistent heel pain. The doctor told me it was just a strained achilles. He told me to wear a boot for three weeks and it didn't help. I knew it was something more serious. I obtained the MRI report which says,

"The anterior calcaneofibular ligament is absent. Findings are consistent with a complete tear of that ligament."

The anterior and posterior tibiofibular ligaments, the calcaneofibular ligaments, and the medial ankle ligaments appear intact.

There is thickening of the distal Achilles tendon with minimal intermediate signal within it. There is edema in the distal pre-achilles fat and some fluid in the retrocalcaneal bursa. There is a 2 cm focus of mild edema in the calcaneus at the Achilles attachment. Findings are consistent with a strain of the Achilles tendon with no complete tear.

There is a 3 mm low signal focus within the joint fluid just behind the anterior tibiofibular ligament. This could represent a small loose body. If there is clinical concern for such an entity, consider thin section CT scanning through the region.

Marrow signal is benign with no osteochondra defect noted.

The other ankle tendons appear normal."

What does this mean? Can someone please help me? The pain in my heel does not go away.

I am planning to stay on crutches until I can get a second opinion. Would this heal on it's own? How long would it take? I am very worried. Somebody please advise.

Thanks.

The following user gives a hug of support to Joanne8902:
aurora101 (02-22-2011)
Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-03-2004, 12:10 AM   #2

Joanne8902 HB User
Re: Tear of Anterior Calcaneofibular Ligament

Someone please help me!

This is what a podiatrist posted on another forum:

First of all, let me say that it is unfortunate that this has happened to you. If you can get a copy of the MRI and the report, I recommend you see a podiatrist who does reconstructive work on the ankle.

He or she might recommend a surgical reconstruction of your ankle. A brace might also be indicated, depending on your circumstances.

Good luck.

What does she mean? What kind of brace?

Old 01-09-2004, 11:27 AM   #3

Jess0018 HB User

I was wondering if you found anything out yet?

I was reading the report you posted and I am confused. I am no expert but I do have some knowledge of the ankle since I suffered from a severe sprain a year ago.

At the begining it says complete tear of anterior calcaneousfibular ligament (sorry for the spelling) Then in the next area it says all lateral and medial ligaments are intact including the calcaneousfibular ligament.

I searched on the internet and could not find a place where it was refered to as the anterior ligament.

Did I misunderstand?

Old 01-19-2004, 07:29 PM   #4

Joanne8902 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess0018
I was wondering if you found anything out yet?

I was reading the report you posted and I am confused. I am no expert but I do have some knowledge of the ankle since I suffered from a severe sprain a year ago.

At the begining it says complete tear of anterior calcaneousfibular ligament (sorry for the spelling) Then in the next area it says all lateral and medial ligaments are intact including the calcaneousfibular ligament.

I searched on the internet and could not find a place where it was refered to as the anterior ligament.

Did I misunderstand?

Thanks for responding. It does look like there's a typo on the radiologists report. I've been to three doctor's who all confirmed I have an achilles strain. How could the radiologist's report be that far off? I'm been wearing heel lifts and orthotics for three weeks now. It's a little better but not much.

I just had an MRI done on my knee at the same place. According to the report there is a grade 3 tear in the miniscus. I saw a doctor who said he didn't think so. But I'm going to get a second opinion.

Does anyone else have this much trouble with doctors or is it just me. Are MRI's that difficult to read? Maybe it's the equipment. I noticed it was GE and we all know anything they make is usually a lemon....

Old 01-20-2004, 12:59 PM   #5

Jess0018 HB User

Honestly I have seen MRIs and they are not a full proof method of determing damage.
I also had an MRI so I know how the procedure is done.

Many times the doctor and radiologist will differ in opinion based on what they see. I have seen this happen many times. You may want to try a different place or just get a second opinion.

Many times the differences in opinion are also based on the doctor's examination. I would trust the doctors word a little more than the radiologist just because the doctor has examined you. Technology is not always perfect.

Back to the first MRI I bet that was just a typo. THe ligament referred to in the report is on the side of the ankle and your ankle would likely be unstable if that ligament was ruptured also the other ligaments would also be damaged.

Good Luck

Old 01-22-2004, 10:47 PM   #6

Joanne8902 HB User

Quote:
Back to the first MRI I bet that was just a typo. THe ligament referred to in the report is on the side of the ankle and your ankle would likely be unstable if that ligament was ruptured also the other ligaments would also be damaged.

Good Luck
Thanks. I think it is a typo. At the bottom, in the summary, it says "Prior tear of anterior talofibular ligament." Could the achilles pain be secondary due to compensation?

I am going to get another opinion because I still believe this is more than just a simple strained achilles. The foot just doesn't "feel right" for lack of a better explanation. Something's missing.

If there is a ligament tear it is probably from an old injury and there might be nerve damage as the foot tingles a lot.

I'd appreciate it if anyone knows the names of a really good foot & ankle orthopedist, who'd be willing to repair. I am out here in the boonies in Kansas. KC area only has 3 foot & ankle orthos, and one isn't taking any new patients.

Old 01-24-2004, 02:49 PM   #7

Joanne8902 HB User

I have another question. Would it be possible to walk around on a torn anterior talofibular ligament for three years? That's how long ago I believe this happened. At the time, I felt pain behind my outside ankle bone but don't remember any swelling.

Old 01-27-2004, 03:17 PM   #8

Jess0018 HB User

About your question of the ligament being torn for 3 years.

My guess is that it has repaired itself since the injury. MRI's can detect previous injuries that have healed. The body uses scar tissue and other tissue to repair the ligaments. An MRI can distingush between different tissues. The coloring and signal intensity is different for a repaired ligament than it is for a ligament that was never damaged.

So you probably did damage it years ago but it has healed. You may have compensated for the injury when it happened but you are probably no longer compensating for it. So that is probably not the reason you have pain.

I hope that helps, Let us know when you have heard something.

Old 01-28-2004, 12:43 PM   #9

Joanne8902 HB User

Quote:
About your question of the ligament being torn for 3 years.

You may have compensated for the injury when it happened but you are probably no longer compensating for it. So that is probably not the reason you have pain.

I hope that helps, Let us know when you have heard something.

Hey Jess,

What makes you say that? When one part of the body is weakened, don't the other muscles have to carry a bigger load? I think the tests they give you in the doctor's office are different than walking around.

My doctor said it wouldn't be worth it to do surgery as scar tissue would grow back. But the numbness/tingling is still there. I talked to a doctor where I used to live who said he could do nerve testing using a PSSD machine. No one where I live has this machine, so I'd have to travel. Would it be worth it? Is this a new technology?

Old 01-29-2004, 06:12 PM   #10

Jess0018 HB User

You are right that when you injure a part of the body many times other muscles must compensate for the injury. But by the sounds of things you have had no symptoms from the injury for 3 years until recently. If you were compensating for 3 years in an unfaborable manner(damaging other muscles) you probably would have been feeling the effects for years and not just now.

Don't underestimate straining a tendon. I have never strained a tendon enough to seek medical attention but I have seen people with severe pain in the back of their ankle from tendon and bursa inflammation.

Regarding the nerve question I never heard of the test. If you are planning on having the test and therefore, finding a place that will do the test I would consider if it is necessary. You think you have nerve damage because of the tingling so is there any treatment if you prove that this is the problem?
If you think the test would be benefical then have the test if not then don't.

Jess

Old 01-30-2004, 12:24 AM   #11

Joanne8902 HB User

I actually have had symptoms for three years. The whole foot has just felt weak and that's when my achilles pain started. I don't know if I strained my achilles at the same time or if it was due to compensating for the torn ligament.

I sent the doctor my MRI's to look at. He said he might be able to remove some scar tissue and repair the ligament. If he thinks it's worth it, then I will get the test.

Now I've got a sharp pain which is on the outer side of the foot right behind the ankle bone.

Closed Thread