It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-11-2004, 01:49 PM   #1
Inactive

DoggieMom HB User
Arrow average time off work for foot surgery?

For everyone who has had any kind of foot surgery, how long did you take off work? I'm especially interested to hear about people who have non-desk jobs. I'm trying to decide when to tell my school where I teach when I will be back....

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-11-2004, 07:03 PM   #2
(male)

JeffH HB User
Re: average time off work for foot surgery?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoggieMom
For everyone who has had any kind of foot surgery, how long did you take off work? I'm especially interested to hear about people who have non-desk jobs. I'm trying to decide when to tell my school where I teach when I will be back....
I think it depends on the TYPE of foot surgery. I was back to work after two weeks with my recent implant surgery. Bunion surgery seems to take six to eight weeks. Other types of surgery I'm not sure of.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-12-2004, 12:00 AM   #3

bigbadfeet HB User

I had an Austin Bunionectomy on my right foot in early Sept. and I was off work for 5 weeks. I drive all day at work, getting out of the car many times during the day. I'm also rectricted to wearing a uniform shoe so I didn't have the option of returning to work with a Velcro shoe. It was very uncomfortable for about the 1st month back to work. I had to walk with a severe limp because my right shoe was too tight to accomodate my foot.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:13 AM   #4
(female)

caligirl1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbadfeet
I had an Austin Bunionectomy on my right foot in early Sept. and I was off work for 5 weeks. I drive all day at work, getting out of the car many times during the day. I'm also rectricted to wearing a uniform shoe so I didn't have the option of returning to work with a Velcro shoe. It was very uncomfortable for about the 1st month back to work. I had to walk with a severe limp because my right shoe was too tight to accomodate my foot.

I am having my surgery, "Bunionectomy" on my left foot on Friday. Will be off for 10 days. Hubby will drive me and pick me up from work, and all I do is sit at a desk ALLDAY. I know others that have returned to work that soon. Also let me add I am also have the 2 small toes fixed next to my dog toe, as they are slight hammer toes from having my bunions since I was little. I am 23. But I am glad I am getting this DONE and OVER WITH!

Last edited by gsxrgirl; 01-12-2004 at 05:16 AM.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:14 AM   #5
(male)

JeffH HB User

Quote:
I'm trying to decide when to tell my school where I teach when I will be back....
Also, I guess the best answer to this question should come from your Doctor.

Old 01-12-2004, 05:17 AM   #6
(female)

caligirl1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH

Not necessarily, it really depends also how she is feeling after the surgery. Some people aren't in a lot of pain after. It is a day by day process.

Last edited by gsxrgirl; 01-12-2004 at 05:17 AM.

Old 01-12-2004, 06:10 AM   #7
(male)

JeffH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by gsxrgirl
Not necessarily, it really depends also how she is feeling after the surgery. Some people aren't in a lot of pain after. It is a day by day process.
True, but the doctor, having worked on dozens, if not hundreds of cases of her type, should be able to come up with a fairly close "guesstimate." The doctors estimate would of course factor in how that particular patient has been doing up to the present point, level of pain, tolerence of the pain, how the healing has progressed and so forth.

So yeah, while each person is different, the doctor should have more than enough past experiance to predict a persons probable recovery time.

Old 01-12-2004, 11:37 AM   #8
Inactive

angelf2003 HB User

I had a bunionectomy and took six weeks off. I have a desk job but it is in NYC and its all about the commute!

I cannot understand how somw return after a week or so - I wouln't have dared leave the house at that point!

Old 01-12-2004, 11:51 AM   #9
(female)

szcbassoon HB User

Hi,
I too am a teacher, and play in a symphony orchestra. I took 4 weeks off, but wish it had taken 6, until my cast was off. Those 2 weeks with a cast and crutches were v. difficult. But it all turned out well. Good luck,
Sue

Old 01-13-2004, 06:42 PM   #10
(female)

Maya49 HB User

Hi DM,
I had my bunion surgery end of July..and returned to work in the middle of October..3 months. Honestly, I cannot imagine anyone returning to work sooner than 8 weeks..this is surgery and not to be taken lightly...even tho I have an office job...how can anyone sit there and do there work with there foot propped up on the desk???...lol..what a sight and more than that..incredibly uncomfortable...for the first two months the ONLY time I was comfortable was when I was sitting with the leg elevated and the ice pack on it...and it was truly 4 months before I could walk in "regular shoes"..regular being the NEw Balance shoes...and I had what would be considered a "not the worst stage of a bunion..bad enough tho"...and prior to the surgery was very very active...walk 40 minutes each day..on a reg basis...slim and trim..so was in good physical shape..just my take..but..if you can POSSIBLY take the time off work..by all means do that...and let the healing process take place. I assume that you are a teacher?..
or student?..
and your doc?..what does he /she say as how much time is needed?
Remember the bone takes 3 months to heal....

Old 01-14-2004, 12:05 PM   #11

sparky1 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by JeffH
I had mortons nueroma surgery and was off 5 weeks. also had plantairs release and spur removal and again was off 5 weeks. it takes a while to recover. I have a job where I am on feet all day too, so they dont want you on it to much before it has a chance to recover. take it easy and enjoy letting others wait on you while you can. they surgery is well worth the recovery time. good luck to you. Orthopedic docs are real cautious about sending you back too early. your regular doc might say it is ok sooner, but the orthoped will be the one to sign the relase papers so do what he says. you will be glad you did. I did not do what they said for the first surgery and walked on it after a week and was put in a full blown cast for 5 weeks because of it. so listen to their warnings.

Old 01-14-2004, 09:14 PM   #12

Jess0018 HB User

I had arthroscopic ankle surgery and my doctor told me to remain off work for a month. I worked in a deli and was on my feet 6-8 hours non-stop.

I would ask the doctor, I made the mistake of not asking the doctor until after the surgery. I assumed that I would be back in a week or two because that is the recovery time for people with knee arthroscopics. Unfortuately I was wrong.

Old 01-18-2004, 09:30 PM   #13
Inactive

DoggieMom HB User

Thanks everyone for your input.
To be honest, I don't think the doctor understands the extent to which I am on my feet at work. I'm an art teacher, not just a classroom teacher, so my job depends on a lot of preparation (meaning walking around the room to gather supplies, cutting paper and pouring paint, etc.)- plus the walk from the parking lot into the school, then down to my classroom is really long.
I originally told them I'd be back after 6 weeks, but have been thinking 7 is better. The doc is kind of leaving it up to me. At this point, 5 1/2 weeks, I can walk for a total of about ten minutes. Yesterday there was snow on the ground and it was really really hard on my feet- one squishy step and the foot bends the wrong way, and OUCH! So... despite all the whispers and people wondering how on earth I could take off for sooooo long in the middle of the year.... I'm not going back until I feel more comfortable! My health is top priority!

Old 01-19-2004, 12:09 AM   #14
dpedron

Quote:
It really depends on what type. I just had foot surgery Nov 14 for a broken foot. The navicular bone (main bone in the arch) was broken since last Feb but I didn't know till June that it was broken after much pain and then some swelling. My foot doctor also said my bone was larger than normal (10% of the population has this problem) so that contributed to it>they had to cut out the broken piece and shorten the navicular bone to where it should have been and reattach the tendon to the navicular. It was extremely painful and I had to be completely off my feet for 3.5 weeks (no weight bearing on that foot whatsoever. So I was useless. I had to walk on crutches and on only one leg for those first 3.5 weeks to just barely go to the restroom and to the chair and bed. It was the pits and very difficult to do. Everyone had to wait on me and do the most mundane things for awhile. I was on major painkillers and I still take a lower dose med today for pain.

I was out from work for 4 weeks but was only back to work part time and worked from home before the holidays. I just started driving about 4 weeks after surgery and was still on crutches till about 2 weeks ago. The thing is the doctors don't want you driving if you're on lots of pain meds. I have been in a boot cast since the 4th week after surgery and am just starting to walk with shoes and orthotics two days ago but that is only for a few hrs a day. So 4-6 weeks is not unusual to be out for foot surgery.
My sister in law had surgery for bone spurs on her small toes and was out I believe 6-7 weeks each for both feet (they don't do both at once usually).
I also found out that I have a bone spur on my good foot's big toe which I will have to deal with later on this year (another surgery). I have had pain in the toe for some time now but it got worse after this ordeal since there was alot of stress on this good foot to compensate for the bad foot. But I plan on going skiing end of March if all goes well. I just have to slowly start some exercising and get back in shape.
Foot surgery sucks. You really find out how much you depend on your feet. There are days I want a total foot transplant!
Best wishes to you and hope it goes well.

Donna

Closed Thread