It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-05-2004, 09:28 PM   #1
(female)

rileyroe HB User
stiffness after bunionectomy...any advice?

My feet are so stiff and achy!! It has been 4 weeks ago today that I had my double bunionectomy and they are more achy now!! It isn't really painful, just uncomfortable!! Has anyone tried soaking their feet in Epsom Salt??? I am wondering if that would help at all.....or does anyone else have any other suggestions??? I appreciate any advice!!! Mandy

Old 02-06-2004, 03:38 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User
Re: stiffness after bunionectomy...any advice?

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyroe
My feet are so stiff and achy!! It has been 4 weeks ago today that I had my double bunionectomy and they are more achy now!! It isn't really painful, just uncomfortable!! Has anyone tried soaking their feet in Epsom Salt??? I am wondering if that would help at all.....or does anyone else have any other suggestions??? I appreciate any advice!!! Mandy
Hi Mandy, My foot is like that too. My big toe is very sore still and I think I am going to try Epsom salt and warm water today for a short time. I will let you know how it works. I have so much dry flaky skin on my foot it isn't funny.
I still have a spint on my toe so I can't move it very well. I forgot to ask the doctor about toe excerises so will call today. I hope your feet get better.
hugs, Polly

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-06-2004, 07:04 AM   #3

HappyMama HB User

I hear ya! Doing the toe exercises throughout the day when I have a few minutes helps a little and I throw gobs of aloe vera gel on them which makes them feel good. Other than that.....I don't know....chocolate perhaps?!?

Old 02-06-2004, 09:46 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Warm water and epson salts are great for tired and achy feet, it also help with the removal of all that dry flaky skin. After soaking for feet, gently rub them with a washrag, or what ever your preference is, rinse and then gently massage them with your favorite lotion. Throw a little baking soda in your water to for an exta soothing foot soak. Enjoy! -eko

Old 02-06-2004, 06:35 PM   #5

twobadfeet HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rileyroe
I'm also a fan of a warm water footbath with Epsom salts. It's been two and a half months and I still soak my foot (the one that had the bunionectomy) almost every night before I do my toe exercises. You're right, it may be psychological, or it may warm up the muscles; frankly, I don't care which because I find it soothing and it makes the exercises much easier for me to do. My foot is stiff and achy, too, though less so as time goes by. I told my orthopedic surgeon today that I still have pain when I walk and that my toe is still much stiffer than it used to be. He assured me that the toe exercises have been working, I've made great strides (no pun intended) and says that my foot looks "perfect" for this stage of recovery, but acknowledged that the toe still doesn't have 100% mobility.

One thing he said today that may interest some of you: if your bunion was really advanced before the surgery (in other words, if your toe was badly turned towards the other toes) you likely won't get back 100% mobility again. I was, to say the least, a bit shocked. I still would have had the surgery--and will have it again on my other foot--but didn't realize that how long you wait before having the surgery determines how much mobility your toe will have after you're healed.

I've decided to do these exercises (as much as I hate them) faithfully and to get back as much toe mobility as humanly possible. I think we just need to be really patient with ourselves, and to keep working at it; many on this board have said it's been five and a half to six months before their foot/feet feel normal again. My doctor agrees. Six seems to be the magic number.

twobadfeet

Old 02-06-2004, 08:17 PM   #6

gimpy1 HB User

I can sure relate to all of these complaints. I haven't tried soaking it yet, but I've managed to get the flakey skin under control by putting lotion on it & then a sock on right away before bed. I also put Bacitracin (antibiotic ointment) rather than lotion on the stiches area, since it isn't fully healed. During the day I keep it wrapped w/coban(sp?) to help control swelling, but at night, I keep it unwrapped & just a sock on to get some air. It then looks pretty good in the morning. My doc said to avoid soaking in anything more than tepid water as too warm or hot water actually will increase the swelling. I know when I get in a warm shower, the combination of the warm water & having my foot down makes my foot is purple & totally swollen after just a few minutes!!

As for the swelling & stiffness, it appears after reading so much on this board that time--a good six months--seems to be the main answer to this problem. It's great to hear what/how all the other bunionites are doing!!

Gimpy1

Old 02-06-2004, 08:42 PM   #7
(female)

rileyroe HB User

First of all, I want to tell you all how much i enjoy this board!!! This has helped me so much and so many times during this entire procedure from the surgery itself to the aftermath!! You are all great!!!

I did soak my feet tonite in the warm epsom salt water.....it seemed to really help!! They feel great right now!! I am definately going to keep doing this!! I hope you all try this if you haven't!! I hate the thought of having 5 more months of swelling and stiffness, but hey.....that will be in July, so at least they will feel better before summer is over!! I can at least wear flip flops then!! I am just anxious to see how well my scars heal!! I hope they don't look too bad! I am pleased with the way my toes look now......so I don't want to have awful scars with the straight toes!!! Take care of your feet!!

Mandy

Closed Thread