It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-21-2004, 11:35 PM   #1

PinkBananaz HB User
Scar tissue in my ankle~get it removed?

hey all i have anterior ankle impingement meaning i have scar tissue in my ankle(did not take take care of a sprained ankle, and 4 years later now, i'm still paying 4 it!)..had a cortisone shot which did help..but anyways i was supposed 2 have arthroscopy a while ago but i decided to hold off(i'm a gymnast) and just wear a brace until the end of season this year then decide wether it was necessary to have surgery. gymnastics is done with, i'm thinking the problems are over cuz it only hurts when i bend it forwards..tender though over the area..but yeah do yall think its worth it 2 just get the arthroscopy and scar tissue out cuz i'm not sure if later on i am going 2 have problems!! thanks 4 the help..

Old 02-22-2004, 07:44 AM   #2

kfs333 HB User
Re: Scar tissue in my ankle~get it removed?

I'm going to have my ankle done for the 4th time soon. This time is a reconstruction. I had the first surgery in 96 which was an arthroscopic to remove scar tissue. That was the best the ankle had felt until 2001 when I fell and tore ligaments which caused the first reconstuction.

Overall the decision is up to you, but I would get a second opinion from another dr ( sports medicine or podiatrist ) before making that decision.

When mine was done, I was up and walking less than a week later and completely off the crutches by the end of the week. Pain wasn't that bad either. It was completely rehab within 2 1/2 months.

Good Luck!

Last edited by kfs333; 02-22-2004 at 07:44 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-22-2004, 11:57 AM   #3

PinkBananaz HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by kfs333
I'm going to have my ankle done for the 4th time soon. This time is a reconstruction. I had the first surgery in 96 which was an arthroscopic to remove scar tissue. That was the best the ankle had felt until 2001 when I fell and tore ligaments which caused the first reconstuction.

Overall the decision is up to you, but I would get a second opinion from another dr ( sports medicine or podiatrist ) before making that decision.

When mine was done, I was up and walking less than a week later and completely off the crutches by the end of the week. Pain wasn't that bad either. It was completely rehab within 2 1/2 months.

Good Luck!
My parents said right now I may feel fine, but later on all the injuries i've gotten and forgotten about or not took care of are gonna come back 2 haunt me. This is what scares me. The ortho I was seeing was great, really liked him as a doctor, he had said if the cortisone helped that it was a joint problem and we should go through with arthroscopy. And it did. ]
I just don't want 2 be like 30 or 40 and wobbling around, I've got knee injuries, a neck injuries, and of course the messed up ankle..none of which i've really taken care of.

Old 02-22-2004, 05:26 PM   #4

kfs333 HB User

If you are that comfortable with the dr. and you are ok with his decision, then I would do it. Your parents are right as far as problems setting in. Arthroscopic also allows the dr to look for any problems, torn ligaments for example , while cleaning out the scar tissue. Mine took all of 45 minutes to do the first time. ( I have had 2 arthroscopics, one in 96 and the other in 2002, the second was to do a synovectomy, I had synovitis bad ).

I am 33 now and have sprained my ankle over 200+ times. I had already sprained my ankle severely 3 and had 8 minor sprains before the dr I was seeing decided to try PT. If he had done this sooner, like after the first sprain, then I probably wouldn't be having these problems now. I had sprained it another couple of dozen times before I switched dr.s and that is when the first arthroscopic was done. I am extremely flexible and it is a hinderance. This next procedure is suppose to tighten up everything so my ankle won't roll. I am hoping that it will be my last.

Last edited by kfs333; 02-22-2004 at 05:26 PM.

Old 02-25-2004, 11:17 AM   #5

Jess0018 HB User

I severly sprained my ankle in 2001. It continued to bother me after initial treatment so I tried PT followed by a cortisone injection. Like you the injection worked but for a limited amout of time. I had surgery in 2002 for an impigement and synovitis. The surgery was not to bad. My ankle still bothers me a lot but it is not the same type of pain that I had before. I believe the surgery was helpful and given the choice I would do it again. Unfortunately doctors can only fix so much of the injuries we suffer from. I injured my ankle playing softball and am convinced that I will continue to have problems with my ankle.

Good luck,

Closed Thread