It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-10-2004, 02:59 PM   #1
(female)

seveppa HB User
Tingling toes, burning feet

Today is Wednesday, Monday I noticed that my toes (in both feet) were tingling - like they had fallen asleep. Well, the tingling is continuing and becoming more constant. The toes of both feet tingle and the bottom of my foot around the ball has a bit of a burning sensation. I do not have diabeties - my last physical was in December and my blood sugar was very normal - in fact, just about everything was normal; however, 2 weeks ago I had an abcessed tooth pulled (took antibiotics for the infection) and on Saturday I spend about 75 minuted sitting on a hard gym floor at my daughter's Odyssey of the Mind tournament. I am 42 and female. Don't know what to do but am feeling pretty scared. Am unemployed right now - no insurance so cannot afford to visit my doctor but am getting so scared that I feel I may have too - Oh! I also suffer from depression and an anxiety disorder and this is definately not helping! Any feedback would be most welcome!

Old 03-11-2004, 07:57 AM   #2

twobadfeet HB User
Re: Tingling toes, burning feet

Burning and *****ling sensations can, according to my medical books, have a number of causes including (but not limited to) Morton's neuroma, diabetes, a blood disorder or a nerve disease. It could also be caused by something as simple as poorly fitting shoes or poor nutrition. In other words, a whole lotta stuff and without a doctor's diagnosis, who knows? We're in pretty murky territory here, and unless someone out there suffers from your exact same constellation of symptoms, I'm guessing no one will venture even an educated guess. I wish I had a definitive answer for you. I decided to respond because I know how bad it can be to be worried about something and not get any response at all. I don't think it's because nobody cares, I think it's because nobody knows.

If it were me, I'd start with a call to my doctor's office. Since money is an issue, I wonder whether you could explain your situation to the doctor's office and they could make payment arrangements, allowing you to pay in small increments over a period of time? If you don't have any luck with the 18 year-old receptionist you'll likely get on the phone, ask for the office manager. (I used to be a social worker and got very good at advocating for my patients--you'd be surprised how flexible rules can become if you push against them a little.) When you go, you'll need a list of any and all medications you are taking (including the exact name of your antibiotic) and bring it to your doctor to rule out medication reactions. I'd also make a careful list of your symptoms; he'll have a lot of factors to consider and will need a good grasp of your exact symptoms to work from. In the meantime, for the burning, The Mayo Clinic Family Health Book recommends non-irritating materials against your feet, including shoes that fit well and breathe. They also suggest avoiding activities that irritate the condition, like standing or sitting for long periods of time...and the usual, get enough sleep and reduce your level of stress, and be sure your diet is adequate in case your nerves need to heal. All pretty benign stuff. They also suggest cooling your feet in cold, but not icy, tap water for 15 minutes twice a day, though you may want to wait until you know what's causing it before you employ a treatment or any kind. Good luck and let us know how you're doing with this.

twobadfeet

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-11-2004, 08:19 AM   #3
(male)

ronnald HB User

I have something similar, my feet burn and hurt. Ice feels nice. My podiatirst says I have Fasciitis and possibly neuromas.

If it had something to do with diabetes, it would come on very slow and take years (from my understanding).

Do you wear high heels?

Old 03-13-2004, 11:23 AM   #4
(female)

seveppa HB User

Thanks for the replys. I continued in my research and came across an article that said sometimes tight hamstrings can cause these symptoms. I had had to sit in a cramped and uncomfortable position last saturday and ended up with a mild backache on Monday too - anyway, a few minutes riding my stationary bike and the symptoms went away. They have returned only intermitenly since and as I continue to exercise they are less and less.

Thanks again for the help - it really made a difference.

Old 03-14-2004, 07:25 AM   #5

twobadfeet HB User

I'm so glad this was something minor. The list of alternatives looked pretty grim, so I'm glad you got a break on this one. Gotta watch those hard gym floors. Next time (if there is a next time) I'd bring a collapsible chair. I'm glad you dodged the bullet.

twobadfeet

Closed Thread