It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-23-2004, 10:25 AM   #1

annarbor HB User
Pin in Toe worry--please help

Pin in toe question

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Hi----I'm new and had a bunion and hammertoe operation 3 weeks ago. I have a pin in my 2nd toe that is supposed to be removed next week and my question is what does that feel like when it is removed. I understand it is done w/no anesthesia. Plus, when I was at the Dr's last week he said I had bent my pin---will this make it more difficult to remove---is there any chance of it breaking during removal??? Thanks for all help!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 10:59 AM   #2

sheredhed HB User
Re: Pin in Toe worry--please help

hi, I had bunionectomy, and two hammer toes done.....1/30/04....like you I was nervous about the pin removal...all i can tell you is try to relax as much as you can when the dr removes them, I laid back and closed my eyes and went to my happy place, felt a little pressure and just when it barely started to hurt it was out!...as far as breaking, mine as im sure yours are, were made of surgical steel, I think its quite unlikely they would break......good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-23-2004, 11:22 AM   #3
(female)

chezlux HB User

Hi!
My surgery is on Thursday, so I can't tell ya how it feels to have the pins removed. But my doc and several friends have told me that the pin coming out is minimal discomfort if anything. I am quite nervous about the pins. Can you feel them at all? And how far do they stick out? Good luck to you!!
Chezlux

Old 03-23-2004, 11:24 AM   #4

annarbor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheredhed
hi, I had bunionectomy, and two hammer toes done.....1/30/04....like you I was nervous about the pin removal...all i can tell you is try to relax as much as you can when the dr removes them, I laid back and closed my eyes and went to my happy place, felt a little pressure and just when it barely started to hurt it was out!...as far as breaking, mine as im sure yours are, were made of surgical steel, I think its quite unlikely they would break......good luck
Thanks for replying---did you have more than one pin removed? I only have one in my 2nd toe. How long were you in a cast---when could you put weight on your foot??

Old 03-23-2004, 11:26 AM   #5

annarbor HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by chezlux
Hi!
My surgery is on Thursday, so I can't tell ya how it feels to have the pins removed. But my doc and several friends have told me that the pin coming out is minimal discomfort if anything. I am quite nervous about the pins. Can you feel them at all? And how far do they stick out? Good luck to you!!
Chezlux
No, I don't feel the pin in my toe at all! Nevertheless, I will be very glad to have it removed. I have a silver bumper around it to protect it.

Old 03-23-2004, 12:35 PM   #6

Mephesto HB User

I had four pins in my foot, and I had anethesia for them because they also had to remove a screw. My pins were in for 11 weeks and I noticed they were all seriously bent(I kept them after the surgery) even though I was abosulotely non weight bearing for the entire time. I can tell you that I had stiches for the pins. One stich each. But it is not like a surgical scar, it heals like a simple cut. My hardwarve removal surgery took 20 minutes. So you're pin will probably take 5? 10? As to breaking, almost impossible, your bones will break before the steel breaks. The doctor said it bent, and that is because pins are semi flexible, and super hard. So don't worry about breaking.

Old 03-23-2004, 02:47 PM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I have two pins in my big toe that will be removed in three weeks. I am told it should not hurt, that I would feel some pressure and they'll be out. I do not plan to watch this procedure being done. Best wishes -eko

Old 03-23-2004, 04:42 PM   #8

sheredhed HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by annarbor
Thanks for replying---did you have more than one pin removed? I only have one in my 2nd toe. How long were you in a cast---when could you put weight on your foot??

I had two pins removed 2nd and 3rd toe...cast was removed last week....6 weeks ...still not fully weight bearing, surgical shoe and crutches....but hey at least i can shower normally now

Old 03-23-2004, 05:11 PM   #9
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User

HI
I had pin removed several weeks after bunion surgery.
Didn't really feel anything.. good luck

Old 03-23-2004, 06:30 PM   #10
Senior Veteran
(female)

snodove HB User

Hi, I had my surgery Dec 31. I had my pin out in the end of Feb. I was scared too but it didn't really hurt that much. It was pressure and he had hard time getting it out. Said it was tight but he just pulled it. He told me though that the pin had worked it's way to the bottom of my foot and asked if I could feel it sometimes and I thought it was my stitches but wasn't.
I just didn't think about what he was doing. That helped alot. Someone mentioned to take a half a pain pill before you go. Not sure if you want to do that though. Good luck, Polly

Old 03-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #11
Veteran
(female)

Krazykcio HB User

Hi All,
I had a bunionectomy and four hammertoes repaired all together on my left foot. It was all done about a year and a half ago. Pin removal wasn't horrible, but it was uncomfortable. The pressure was wierd.....like when your ears are blocked...only it's in your toes.

I do have to say that I do not have any regrets. I am thrilled with the results of my surgeries. It's so nice to walk around without pain. PLUS, it's great to buy shoes that aren't orthapedic-oxford types!

Old 03-24-2004, 07:13 AM   #12

supermom802 HB User

I had 2 pins removed from my right foot at 7 weeks post-op. It was not a big deal. I think it might help to take a pain pill or Advil prior to the procedure. My foot felt much better after the pins were removed. I compare it to removing something from between your teeth. There is not as much pressure. Good luck!

Closed Thread