It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-08-2004, 06:16 PM   #1

reijo HB User
Level II ankle sprain.......what to expect?

About 6 weeks I had a fall and as a result have a Level II sprain. I have ligament damage on both sides and some numbness on the top of my big toe and second toe due to nerve damage.

My doctor has given me excercises to try first before considering physical therapy. My insurance isn't very good and his policy of trying home therapy first was well received.

I've noticed that I've regained a lot of motion in the ankle......much more than I THOUGHT I would ever regain. However any bending (up and down) is still painful and I still walk with a limp.

I've never had an injury like this and am just wondering if I am expecting too much too soon. I've heard other people say that it could be months before my ankle would feel normal again IF THEN.

Anyone with any experience or advice would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by reijo; 05-08-2004 at 06:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 08:08 PM   #2
(female)

brittsmom8 HB User
Re: Level II ankle sprain.......what to expect?

I'm really sorry to hear about your injury. I tore 2 ligaments in my ankle and I went through about 2 months of physical therapy and different doctors before the last doctor ( a sports medicine doctor) sent me for an MRI and then to a Orthopedic Surgeon. (about 6 months after I first injured my ankle). The orthopedic surgeon said that I had 2 torn ligaments and the third was a grade 1. So I had surgery a year ago, which didn't work and now I'm about 6 days post op on my second surgery. I was walking pretty well before both of my surgeries. The doctors will try all kinds of things before they try anything like surgery. My orthopedic surgeon said that it usually takes about 6 months for a severe sprain to heal and since my didn't he told me that I should have surgery. Are you wearing a brace of any kind? I wasn't wearing a brace until I saw the sports medicine doctor ( about 5 months after my injury). Ankles are very hard to deal with. But they do take a long time to heal. 6 weeks is pretty early for a grade 2 sprain. Good luck to you. Just give it time to heal and if the home remedies aren't working try the physical therapy. It just may work.
Karen

Last edited by brittsmom8; 05-08-2004 at 08:12 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-08-2004, 09:14 PM   #3

spacey_11 HB User

About four years ago, I suffered a 3rd degree ankle sprain. I went through conservative treatment. That consisted of about 6 weeks of immobilization (three of which were on crutches), about 8 with an air cast, and at least 8 weeks of physical therapy. It was probably two or three months after my injury before we could see my ankle bone again. I have many friends who have suffered knee injuries, and I always say knee injuries are more painful, but ankles take longer to heal. Give it time, and you will be ok. It takes a while before you get full range of motion back. I think it took me about a year... and then I began exibiting symptoms of chronic instability (which lead to surgery about 9 weeks ago). Be patient... Push yourself, but don't over do it. Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2004, 09:57 AM   #4

reijo HB User

Thanks so much for your response. I hope that you have good results from your most recent surgery and will have a "speedy" (if there is such a thing) recovery. What were your symptons of chronic instability?

Good luck and again thank you for responding. I will be patient!

Old 05-09-2004, 05:28 PM   #5

spacey_11 HB User

My symptoms of chronis instability were pretty classic. I would be walking along, and would just roll it for no reason. This generally didn't cause any pain for any amount of time. Towards the end, it always hurt, but was something I just learned to deal with. I played soccer, volleyball, basketball, and rugby through it until i finally decided I wanted to be able to play at my peak condition, which didn't include a screwed up ankle. I had constant low grade swelling, and definate looseness in the joint. I also had problems with locking and snapping, but I think that was due to an osteochondral defect and loose body (which were fixed at the same time as the lateral ligament reconstruction). If you look up chronic instability online, you can get great definitions of the symptoms and causes. But don't get too ahead of yourself. Work on letting this acute sprain heal first. Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2004, 06:52 PM   #6
Inactive

Fuchsia_Lay HB User

I had PROLOTHERAPY injections years ago for chronic ankle instability/sprains - helped TREMENDOUSLY to tighten ligaments and help the joint function better

also called sclerotherapy, reconstructive therapy

check it out

Old 05-11-2004, 09:08 AM   #7
(female)

sivyaleah HB User

I think time will eventually take care of your ankle but it could be longer than you think it should be.
I had a very bad sprain in April of 2001. Small pothole in sidewalk, heel of shoe got caught and twisted my left ankle so severely it may as well have been broken. Ambulance had to come scoop me up (this on a NYC sidewalk with people gawking at me). I was black, blue, green and purple all the way up to my knee! I don't think I was given the best care. Was only told to keep off my feet for 2 weeks (had to take 2 weeks sick leave to do this). 3 weeks later I begged for an aircast to make it easier for me when I had to go back to work. Was on crutches for 2 months and through physical therapy for 3 months. A year later, I was still having issues with it (ankle rolling out from under me, and I lost my balance twice, resulting in 2 more falls which didn't help matters). Ankles remained periodically swollen and painful for longer than the year and to this day, 3 years later, I still have lingering affects of pain in the ankle and muscle spasms of the middle toe.

Didn't mean to scare you tho! I went off on a tangent complaining about my misery, sorry :-) I guess I'm still angry at the original doctor who cared for me. Thankfully I now see a very good doctor who is helping me with the lingering pain aspects of that and some back problems which were aggravated by that fall as well.

I guess what I'm trying to say is to make sure you get the best care you can afford, be proactive about making sure you are being helped adequately. Your injury seems much less than mine was, but certainly is severe enough to cause lasting problems for many months to come.

Good luck!

Old 05-19-2004, 09:27 AM   #8

kfs333 HB User

I have sprained my ankle over 250 times over the past 11 years and have had 4 surgeries with the recent being March 26th of this year. The ankle is one of the hardest joints to deal with. 2 of my surgeries were for instability. In 2001, I had the Brostom repair because I tore all 3 of the lateral ligaments. This surgery failed when I fell in May of 2003 and managed to tear the all the ligaments in the subtalar joint along with the posterior talofibular ligament and the ATFL again. This past surgery was the Chrisman Snook procedure in which a graft off of my peroneal tendon was used to stabilize both the subtalar joint and lateral ankle.

I agree with the others, don't overdo it and don't expect too much at one time. I will recommend aquatic therapy ( you can do this yourself ), and strengthening exercises along with the range of motion exercises. I understand about insurance and all of that. I paid for this past surgery and all of my PT out of my pocket because of no insurance. Good Luck.

Closed Thread