It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-08-2004, 04:19 PM   #1
(female)

carreg HB User
Unhappy Bunion & Hammertoe Surgery

After suffering for years, I'm finally "biting the bullet" and having bunion/hammertoe surgery on my right foot on Monday. Reading all the posts about the surgery has at times made me feel better and other times has made me very APPREHENSIVE!!! I have a few questions which I hope someone can answer: 1 - Has anyone had plantar warts in addition to the bunion and hammertoe? If so, has the plantar wart gotten better after surgery? 2 - What is the average time after surgery to be able to drive with the right foot? 3 - When shoes can initially be worn again, what is the best to wear: tennis shoes, birkenstocks??? Can you tell I'm very nervous about this?!!!!!! Any encouragement would be greatly appreciated!!!!

Old 06-08-2004, 09:05 PM   #2
(female)

rileyroe HB User
Re: Bunion & Hammertoe Surgery

It will be a few weeks before you can drive, and several weeks before you even want to think about putting any type of shoes on your feet! Tennis shoes will be best at first, and you may even need a size bigger. Don't expect a quick recovery, take your time recovering and you will do great!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-10-2004, 09:20 AM   #3

bridget 48 HB User

Hi: I"m 8 weeks post-op and doing well. I had both feet done and was in a cast on the forefoot for three weeks. My first shoes were Birkenstock sandals. I kept my forefoot wrapped with 3 inch coban bandage to prevent swelling at the site of the incision. I could remove the bandage at night and I always kept my feet elevated on 2 pillows when sleeping. At 6weeks I could wear an athletic shoe with a thin sock ( for about 2 hours at a time.)
At 8 weeks I can walk in my shoes for about 3 hours off and on. The swelling in my feet is very minimal now. I am still not back to work as I have a job that requires a great deal of walking and being on my feet constantly.. If you follow your Dr's orders and be patient you will do well. Good luck

Regards Bridget.

Old 06-11-2004, 05:37 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Have any of you guys had bunion/hammertoe surgery under local? I'm waiting on my correction surgery of the right foot and the Dr. decided to do the bunion/hammertoe on the left while waiting.I'm having two Dr's fix my right foot and one of them is on vacation until the end of the month. So I'm suppose to have the right one done on the last Friday of this month. When I had my original surgery done on the right I had general and also on my third surgery.The second surgery he did local because it was only removing the hardware.Monday he is doing my left with just local. I know I did not like the local for the hardware removal . I hope it is ok. Anyone had this done? He said that I could wear my discman so that I don't hear anything.LOL
Any feedback would be great.
Have a great weekend,

Sue

Old 06-11-2004, 09:48 PM   #5

Ally073 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by susieblueyes
Have any of you guys had bunion/hammertoe surgery under local? I'm waiting on my correction surgery of the right foot and the Dr. decided to do the bunion/hammertoe on the left while waiting.I'm having two Dr's fix my right foot and one of them is on vacation until the end of the month. So I'm suppose to have the right one done on the last Friday of this month. When I had my original surgery done on the right I had general and also on my third surgery.The second surgery he did local because it was only removing the hardware.Monday he is doing my left with just local. I know I did not like the local for the hardware removal . I hope it is ok. Anyone had this done? He said that I could wear my discman so that I don't hear anything.LOL
Any feedback would be great.
Have a great weekend,

Sue
I had my bunionectomy under local, although, as the time grew nearer I asked to have a sedative just before going in so they gave me pethadine which relaxed me although I was still awake - I just felt like I was 'stoned'. I had my discman with me and felt no anxiety at all, I was not even distressed by all the sounds - I just turned the music up real loud when the noisy parts were happening. I was going to have my hammertoe corrected at the same time but when I was in theatre they decided it was going to be too invasive under local. As it turns out, my hammer toe has 'relaxed' alot since my bunionectomy and I think it looks straighter/flatter.

I actually found having it done under local with a sedative a very pleasant experience and will have my left foot done the same way. I would not advise having it done without the sedative but that is purely my personal opinion as I do get fairly worked up about things and I could imagine just stressing out for the whole 2 hours and feeling like crap at the end of it all, instead, I felt WONDERFUL! Hope this helps - Good luck!!

Old 06-12-2004, 08:19 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Thank you so much for the info.I will be sure to ask for a sedative.

Old 06-12-2004, 09:38 AM   #7
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

Sue, I had a local with a sedative for my fusion. I didn't really want to know what was going on, so they gave me enough sedative that I took a little nap. I woke up in the OR just as my Dr. was wrapping my foot. I felt great, the nurse immediately got me up to go the the bathroom, I had some pop and crackers and was out of there. Local with sedative when you have the choice is the way to go.

Old 06-12-2004, 11:44 AM   #8
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Do they always give you a sedative with a local? Or sometimes just local? Do I need to ask for a sedative?

Oh eko, good luck on the PT
Sue

Old 06-12-2004, 04:49 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

I'd assume nothing and ask for the sedative just to make sure everyone is on the same page and there are no surprises. I wish you the best with this surgery!

Old 06-14-2004, 06:06 PM   #10
(female)

carreg HB User
Red face Re: Bunion & Hammertoe Surgery

Well, I had my surgery this morning. The surgery was a little more extensive than what the doctor had originally planned. In addition to the bunionectomy and hammer toe, he shortened the second metatarsal because of a deformity of my foot. This was all done under local with sedation. I felt like I was in a "twilight zone". I was very impressed with my doctor and how he explained exactly what he was going to do. He even called me this afternoon to see how I was doing! He didn't minimze the recovery time and advised me to stay off the foot except to go to the bathroom until he sees me in a week. I'm really feeling some moderate pain this evening. Hopefully, the pain medication will help!!!!

Old 06-14-2004, 06:51 PM   #11
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User

It sounds like all went well for you. Follow your Dr's instructions, elevate, ice and stay off of it for a week. The next few days will probably be the worse for you regarding pain. Take it easy and take care! -eko

Old 06-15-2004, 06:14 AM   #12
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Hi everyone,
I had my surgery yesterday.I was scheduled to be there at 745,it was suppose to be done with a local.Well when I got there they asked me,when was the last time I ate or drank anything. I had about 3 sips of coffee with sugar and cream about 6am.Only because it was suppose to be a straight local.They decided that the procedure that he was doing needed a sedative(HAHA)also. So they sent me on my way to shop for a few hours. I came back at 1030 and waited until 11 when they took me in for prep.My Dr. came back at noon and did the procedure under local with a sedative. Needless to say that that messed up his schedule for the day.He really did not explain too much what he did but OMG Iam in soooo much pain.I know I have a pin in my 2nd toe. He was suppose to correct my bunion,bunionette and my hammertoe. I have an appt. on Thur. to change the dressing and he said he would explain everything better.I just wanted to let you know what was going on. Time for meds and rest.Take care,b-bye for now Sue

Old 06-15-2004, 08:28 AM   #13
(female)

KarynLR HB User

I had surgery on my foot 4 weeks ago to correct nerve damage and fix scar tissue, but I wanted to say Sue, that my doc didn't talk with me after the surgery either. He did come to check on me in recovery, but I don't remember that at all. With anesthesia, you probably wouldn't remember much of what he told you anyways! He did come out to see my family in the waiting room, but they didn't ask all the questions that I wanted answered, of course.

As for the local/sedative debate, I had a choice between spinal and sedative or general (I stayed in the hospital too, it was fairly extensive). I went with the spinal/sedative (wanted to breathe on my own), but I was OUT the whole time. No twilight, no "stoned" feeling. (I was so nervous and teary and went to the OR with a box of kleenex, so I think the anesthesiologist/OS made the decision to give me a very strong sedative!) I beleive that any time you don't get general, there will be someone availiable to give you a sedative if need be... nerves and anxiety get the best of you when you hear all those noises in the OR, and the best-laid plans of "no sedative" get changed! I loved my anesthesia choice and would do it all the same, again. Glad surgery went well-- hope you feel better soon!

--Karyn

Old 06-16-2004, 03:16 AM   #14

squirrelmom HB User

I'll be having a bunionectomy on Friday. I've never had one done before, so I can't tell you anything from personal experience, but I did ask my podiatric surgeon if she would do it under local only. She said she didn't recommend it, because 1. she uses a torniquet above the foot to keep blood out of the surgical area, and after 45 minutes or so that gets painful (and she can't give me a local for my entire lower leg, just the foot). 2. People get freaked out by the bone saw noises unless they're also sedated. Therefore, with me she wants to use local plus IV sedation which, she says, would leave me nearly oblivious to everything going on (I wouldn't even need a walkman to block out noise). Hope this helps.

Old 06-16-2004, 10:07 AM   #15
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User

Just to let everyone know, I did have sedation with local.Let's see, surgery was Monday and yesterday the pain was so bad that the meds only helped for about an hour.So I called the Dr. and he had me come right in because he thought the bandages were too tight.He removed the bandages and scrubbed me up.That felt great but what a mess my foot is. He rewrapped the foot, the pain is a little better. This is my fourth foot surgery and I have never felt pain like this before.My boyfriend says"No Pain No Gain"I hope this is true.

Thanks for the replies and happy healing to all! Sue

Closed Thread