It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-14-2004, 08:14 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User
Unhappy bone infection in the foot

I'm new to the forum, but it has been a great help for some of the things I have been going thru. I'm going to have a open bone biopsy done next week. according to the MRI, I havae a bone infection. after the biopsy, I have to go back to the Dr's and then they are going to put a PICC line in for a couple of months. I haven't been able to get a lot of information about the surgery, or how I'll be feeling after it.l what about the PICC line? so many questions, I don't know where to start. If anyone has anything like this, please let me know. I'm a little on edge just not knowing for sure. Many thanks for your help.

Old 06-15-2004, 10:43 AM   #2

StephanieVD HB User
Re: bone infection in the foot

I saw your post under the bone disorders post to and replied there... Just wondering how they know its infected on an MRI? Most bone infections are diagnosed through blood work (which often is normal) and a bone scan with indium. Surgery wise can't tell you much since I was under general. The PICC isn't too bad, annoying, but pain wise it didn't hurt much at all. Do you know what antibiotics you will be on? If you have any questions, I can try to help.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2004, 10:44 PM   #3
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

I know your pain honey, i had a bone infection in my big toe. it was so far gone that i had no joint left in it, it was completely eaten up, just a black spot on the ol' xray. unfortunatly as you prolly already know there is nothing they can do for an infection of the bone but to cut it out. i dont know what a picc line is but i can sure give you some tips cause youll prolly be off your feet for a while. first of all get a big BIG comfy slipper. im talking the silly fluffy ones from like wal mart and stores like that. they rock cause they have lots of padding for when you start to walk again. if your foot wont go in it cause its swollen or something dont force it cause man, that hurts lol just wrap a tensor bandage around it. it will prolly get super cold if you go out without anything on it cause there is not so much blood flowing to it so keep it nice and under wraps lol. 2nd dont walk till youre ready, no matter if they tell you "oh you should be walking" dont do it till you feel you can. i hated this when they told me i was being a baby and stuff. stick your ground and do it on your own terms.

im not too sure what all your surgery involves or if this helped at all but i just wanted to give you some tips to use if you need them and if you need anything else im usually on this board even if i am a little quiet!

if you dont mind me asking do you know what caused the infection? is there any signs of it on the skin?

KRYSTAL

Old 06-16-2004, 10:39 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

lostmary HB User

Bless your heart, it sounds like it was a bad infection. I've had the MRI and it show the 3rd bone in my little toe is destroyed, from the top of it the the bottom, where is joins the foot itself. The biopsy whould tell him what antibioatics he needs to use. a PICC line is an IV that goes into your arm with a catather into your chest. You get you meds like that for about 6-8 week. after that, doc will wither try to clean up the bone, (doesn't think that will work) or amputate the toe. all my life, I've always done what the Dr's have said. No more. I'm with you. If it hurts, I'm not moving. I've been like this for almost 9 months now, still working, coming home in such pain. no more..I've cried UNCLE, I'm now going to take care of me. I love you suggestion of the fuzzy slippers. I'm going to go and get some. the fluffier and softer the better. How long did it take to want to walk? has it thrown your balance off, what about wearing shoes? they don't know what caused the infection. the only thing I can remember is when I was about 13, I stepped on a dirty nail, went thru my tennis shoe. Didn't go to Dr. because we were on on way to Japan to live, and I already had tetnus shot.

Old 06-16-2004, 01:11 PM   #5

jerseydevil43 HB User

I currently have a picc line in for an infection too... and it really was not that bad. They put in thru the radiology dept. at the hospital. Really easy. I little uncomfortable at times, since I am still on crutches... but overall I had been in the hospital for a week and went thru 7 IV's, so it was much easier. They can use it to draw blood as well, so that is one les chance of getting stuck. They just gave me a shot of lidocaine before they did the procedure and I think that hurt worst! Good luck on your foot!

Old 06-16-2004, 06:59 PM   #6
Inactive
(female)

Ms Harriet HB User

well the way i see it is it the toe needs to come off, no use cryin bout it cause it needs to be done. the third toe wont be so bad because it doesnt really hold any importance for balance. my balance is thrown off a bit like i cant lean forward really far or if someone pushes me from behind and i stick my left foot out ill fall on my head. the only part youre really screwed without is the ball of your foot. and i mean your in trouble if it goes down there! thats all you really need for balance. you might (if you have to ampuate lets hope not though) notice your other toes doing funny thing like on my foot with no big toe my little toe had turned all the way sidways to compensate for no toe on the other side, man i hate wearing sandals lol.

but really, if they cant do anything for it then its better to just get it done and move on with your life, oh and another thing when i was in the hospital for the last time they kept telling me too look at it before i left. really dont do it it you dont want to, i waited about 5 days after my surgery to look at it. take your time it might scar you more if they force you before you are ready.

it took me a while to walk again becuase i had been sick for so long i lost about 65% of the muscle mass in my left leg so it was like a little stick so it really wouoldnt hold me up anyway lol. when i first lost the toe i walked 3 days after, very slow and VERY PAINFULLY but it was worth it cause i got to have a shower lol. i had a walker(grama style) for a while but it was too clunky and slow so i went for the crutches. the way i worked it for myself was id kinda limp on it and put most weight on my other foot. then id give myself rewards if i walked (limped) as far as my goal was. another thing that sucked was my foot was elevated for so long to put it down HURT SO BAD id almost pass out, cause i mean it hurt anyway but when the blood got pumpin down there god, it was horrible. so id do the same thing in the shower though, id put the foot down and count to 100(we have a shower seat) and then if i could do it id put it up for 200 and so on and so on. id recommend if you have a red cross or some sort of medical equipment lending place to ask for a toilet handle set. it kinda clips on your toilet back and gives you handle bars so you dont fall on the ground with your pants off lol. it really really helped me to get things done when my mom and dad weren't around.

anyway if you have anymore questions about anything feel free to ask and i hope all goes well for you

Krystal

Old 06-16-2004, 09:46 PM   #7

jdm HB User

I am sorry to hear about your troubles. I got an infection in a toe about three months after surgery. I was fortunate that I was treated with IV for three days in the hospital, and then released. My only suggestion is stay off the infected foot as much as possible. I onoly got up to use the restroom. Good luck to you. You have come to thr right place. There is a ton of support here.

JDM

Old 06-17-2004, 06:41 PM   #8

RLMM HB User

Mary,

Sorry to hear about the infection. I'm also new to this board but people seem to be really helpful and supportive. I had bunion surgery 10 weeks ago and got cellulitis about two weeks after the surgery. That cleared up but I was diagnosed almost four weeks ago with a bone infection near my big toe. They did an Indium scan and then a bone biopsy to confirm the diagnosis. Thankfully (and I don't know if this is an option for you), I didn't have to have IV antibiotics. There is a very new (and horribly expensive) antibiotic that is just as effective orally as by IV. This antibiotic is usually reserved for bacteria that is resistent to other medications, so I don't think it is used too often. It has allowed me, however, to avoid all of the iv junk. I'm going to have another bone scan and an MRI done in two weeks and if the infection is still there then they will probably surgically remove the infection. I have to admit that I am pretty bitter about all of this - I have now had a total of three surgeries in 10 weeks and will definitely not have the function that I did prior to the first one. The bunion needed removed, but...

Anyway, good luck and I hope your spirits stay up. I think that is the toughest part - dealing with the depression and anger (for me anyway) that goes along with all of the complications and pain.

RLMM

Old 06-17-2004, 09:12 PM   #9
(female)

KarynLR HB User

3 months post op, jdm! I was shocked when I read that! I thought that once my stitches were out, I wouldn't have to worry about infection anymore! How did the infection happen so long after surgery? I took antibiotics for a few weeks and stayed in the hospital post op to get IV antibiotics (only as a precaution), but had no idea I'd have to worry about an infection for that long!

Old 06-22-2004, 03:28 PM   #10

jdm HB User

KarynLR,
My infection came from an ingrown toenail. After my surgery, I was walking different and the toenail began to rub in a way it had not been prior to surgery. Why it got infected was anyone's question. Also, I was put on oral antibiotic and within 24 hours it was worse. Because this was my surgery foot, there was cause for concern.

JDM

Old 06-23-2004, 09:02 AM   #11

twright HB User

hello,
just curious, what are your symptoms when u have a bone infection in your foot? Does it get real red when your foot is below your heart? Swelling? How Painful does it get? I had a bone scan on my right foot and it said that Osteomyelitis could not be ruled out, I haven't had a cut or surgery or nothing and that is why my dr.s think I don't.
Any help is appreciated
Thanks
Todd

Old 06-23-2004, 10:54 AM   #12

StephanieVD HB User

Was it a bone scan with indium. That's when they label your white blood cells and inject them back into you and they can tell if your wbc's are working harder in that area. It is possible to get osteomyeltis and not from trauma. I have done a fair amount of research on it, but most people who don't have trauma are young children and diabetics. They could do a bone biopsy too and see if anything cultures out. Good luck, I hope its nothing.

Old 06-23-2004, 11:45 AM   #13

twright HB User

StephanieVD,
I'm not for sure on that, they just injected me with the nuclear medicine and did the bone scan a few hours later. My pod., rheummy, and pain dr. says no way do I have osteomyelitis. That is just what it said on the bone scan report.
I'm just trying to find a diagnosis for my forefoot swelling, and I just had a nerve block done for RSD and it was negative, my pod. has no clue, and my rheumotologist doesn't know either. I've had this swelling ever since I had ESWT on my heels. Now my heels hurt and the front of my right foot hurts.
If I had an Indium bone scan would that tell for sure for osteomyelitis? Thanks
Best wishes
Todd

Old 06-23-2004, 12:31 PM   #14

StephanieVD HB User

The indium scan won't tell for sure, but is a really good indicator. The best they can do scanning wise without poking you. It could be inflammation and your body fighting that. I had a three phase indium scan done. It was a two day scan. The first day they just inject the normal radioactive stuff to see your bones, got scanned right after injected and then 2 hours after. Then on the second day they drew some blood in the morning, sent it to the lab to be labeled, I came back and they reinjected it and was scanned 2 hours later to see if anything showed. You should probably find out why your foot is swelling either way.. it doesn't sound like you have all the osteo symptoms and the normal bone scan only show where the bone is effected.

Old 06-23-2004, 01:18 PM   #15

twright HB User

StephanieVD,
Yes, I have been trying to find out since March of this year!! That's the problem, seen 4 dr.s and no diagnosis yet and now $5,000 down the drain!! . Most dr.'s have said no way osteomyelitis but I'm getting really frustrated that I still have this problem, trying to find out anything. I'm on my wives ins. now and it covers everything, and I only need to copay. So, I am gonna try and do whatever to take care of this. Thanks for the help Stephanie, I wish you continued health.
Thanks
Best Wishes
Todd

Closed Thread