It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-18-2004, 09:36 AM   #1

suzi333 HB User
Unhappy Big toe won't move after osteotomy

It's been 4 months since my bunion surgery and I still can't move my big toe upward. This has not only impaired my walking but the lack of range of motion also causes my not to be able to bend it to get into a regular shoe (forget the heels). I am in PT, but there hasn't been much change.

I had a bone spur on the metatarsal that was removed. I had a bunionectomy
with an osteotomy and 2 screws put into the metatarsal. I also had an Akins osteotomy on the phalanges of my big toe. They left a "hinge" when they cut out the chevron but then my old surgeon accidentally rebroke it along with the "hinge" about 2 months after my original surgery. He was trying to get my toe to move.

Can anyone tell me how to get my toe to bend again? I am working very hard and it just won't go!

Old 06-18-2004, 10:27 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

eko HB Usereko HB User
Re: Big toe won't move after osteotomy

Someone else is on the board with a "frozen" toe. Could you have a similar situation?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-18-2004, 12:47 PM   #3
Inactive

cmptrwun HB User

[QUOTE=suzi333]I had a bone spur on the metatarsal that was removed. I had a bunionectomy
with an osteotomy and 2 screws put into the metatarsal. I also had an Akins osteotomy on the phalanges of my big toe. They left a "hinge" when they cut out the chevron but then my old surgeon accidentally rebroke it along with the "hinge" about 2 months after my original surgery. He was trying to get my toe to move.

OMG! Did you scream bloody murder when he did it?? Wasn't it incredibly painful? <shudder>

Old 06-18-2004, 01:59 PM   #4

crutches HB User

I had a bunion removed a year ago and my toe won't bend down. It is sticking up off the floor and is stuck. It bends up but not down. Nothing shows up on an ultrasound or an xray so no one seems to know why. The last Dr I went to says he "thinks" it is scar tissue. I don't have any pain, it's just annoying. I've traded on problem for another and will probably go for another opinion in the next 6 months or so. I've tried PT and massage therapy - no help.

Old 06-22-2004, 03:54 PM   #5

jdm HB User

My first surgery sounds very similar to yours. I ended up with a joint repleacement in the big toe. Unfortuantely for me that failed and I had a fusion last Feb. It actually has been good because my pain has decreased. I wish you the best of luck.

jdm

Closed Thread