It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 07-19-2004, 07:16 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User
Bursitis in the foot????

Has anyone ever heard of Bursitis in the foot? Whenever I mention it to people, they say that they have heard it in the shoulder, but not the foot. My doctor says that I have Bursitis in just one foot and now, I'm wondering if the doc knew what she was talking about.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 05:45 AM   #2

wubbogirl HB User
Re: Bursitis in the foot????

Yes I do. I get bursitis in my toes. It becomes very painful and I have to get cortisone shots.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 07-22-2004, 06:54 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

Does your foot swell as well?

Old 07-22-2004, 07:34 PM   #4

wubbogirl HB User

sometimes. have you gotten a cortisone injection yet. It may make it feel better.

Old 07-22-2004, 09:26 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

No! I hate shots! Anyway, I'm trying to figure out WHY or HOW I have Bursitis in one foot and no one seems to know. They just want to treat the symptoms. I just want to know what caused it. Any ideas?

Old 07-23-2004, 08:16 AM   #6

CJBermuda HB User
Lightbulb Re: Bursitis in the foot????

Hi Singer,

I was interested too. So I found a description for you. Hope this helps..
CJW..

Bursitits

Bursae are small fluid containing sacs, that are situated between areas of high friction such as bone against the floor (heel) and bone against other soft tissue structures like tendons, skin and or muscle.
The bursa job is to act as a shock absorber, and to allow stress free movement between the above noted structures. Bursitis is a swelling\inflammation of the bursa sac, due to constant micro trauma or overuse. In the foot Abnormal Pronation is the leading cause of this overuse. It is most commonly found on the foot, at the bottom (Heel Spur) and back of the heel bone; and underneath the metatarsal heads going toward the toes. The big toe or Bunion joint is also a favorite spot to find bursitis in the foot. Bursitis is confused with Gout and infection by those who don't deal with them on a daily basis. The most common complaint from the patient is upon rising in the morning, or after about 20 minutes or resting, then upon rising, there is great pain in the area of the bursa. This is due to the fact that the fluid in the sac has hardened up and can not flow as easy as it did, that is what is causing the pain.
As with all foot problems, treating Bursitis conservatively with the use of Physical Therapy and padding and strappings, and Orthotics. Found that most (over 90%) patients' problems are resolved by using this treatment protocol.

Last edited by CJBermuda; 07-23-2004 at 08:21 AM.

Old 07-23-2004, 04:15 PM   #7

wubbogirl HB User

I thinks its because i'm not placing pressure evenly around my foot. i have really bad feet anyhow. My feet are as flat as pancakes

Old 09-02-2004, 04:35 PM   #8

Babaluzi HB User

Hi, I am experiencing this problem myself. At first, I went to the Podiatrist and she diagnosised me with burcitis in my heel. I got fitted for orthotics and received a shot of cortizone. I was to be seen again in two weeks. I was told to resume all activities.
I cancelled the follow-up appointment since my heel felt good. Approximately 3 weeks later the pain started again. This time I did not go back to the doctor. In stead I decided to stop all athletic activity. I thought the rest would help it to go away.
After several months of pain I went back to the doctor. She gave me another shot of cortizone and said the previous shot would not be helpful. The treatment was startnig freshe today. The shot took the pain away. I was advise to go back to exercise in several weeks.
Last week, approximately 6 weeks after the shot) I was playing tennis and I felt my heel pulling up. I can only say it felt like my heel was going into my leg. I rushed to the doctor and she said I probably had little tears in the ligiment or tenor and to apply ice for two days, and heat after that for the pain. After several days I should be fine. She actually said that what I did to my foot was sort of the surgery she would perform to relase the tendon. It felt good for about a week. Yesterday I did a lot of walking and the pain is back.
I just had an MRI on my foot and await the results.
I guess my next step is to see an orthopediatic doctor.
I help this info helps you.

Old 09-04-2004, 07:16 PM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

singer1 HB User

They always want to do a temp. fix to heal the symptom and not the problem!

Closed Thread