It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Foot & Ankle Problems Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 08-15-2004, 02:51 PM   #1
(female)

lady neon HB User
neuroma surgery complications

Hi everyone,

I had neuroma surgery w/osteotomy, in the second interspace this past april. After getting all the bandages off and walking in a closed shoe my third toe drifted over ontop of my fourth toe. This made wearing shoes extremly uncomfortable and almost impossible.

I disscused this with my Podiotrist and he said that all I needed was something he called a ligiment release of that toe.

He did that about four weeks ago and I had the stitch out about a week ago but he wrapped the toe up real tight to the other toe to make sure it ended up straight.

when I took that bandage off the toe was completly limp. I have to control over it. When I walk it just flops. I can't bend it or make it move at all.

Has anyone had anything like this done? did It turn out this way? My Podiotrist isnt in untill next week, and I sure hope this is just temp.

Kathy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-15-2004, 05:05 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

susieblueyes HB User
Re: neuroma surgery complications

Quote:
Originally Posted by lady neon
Hi everyone,

I had neuroma surgery w/osteotomy, in the second interspace this past april. After getting all the bandages off and walking in a closed shoe my third toe drifted over ontop of my fourth toe. This made wearing shoes extremly uncomfortable and almost impossible.

I disscused this with my Podiotrist and he said that all I needed was something he called a ligiment release of that toe.

He did that about four weeks ago and I had the stitch out about a week ago but he wrapped the toe up real tight to the other toe to make sure it ended up straight.

when I took that bandage off the toe was completly limp. I have to control over it. When I walk it just flops. I can't bend it or make it move at all.

Has anyone had anything like this done? did It turn out this way? My Podiotrist isnt in untill next week, and I sure hope this is just temp.

Kathy
Hi Kathy,
I have a problem somewhat like yours. Only I had hammertoe surgery with part of the bone removed and a pin. I developed an infection only a couple days after the surgery so the doctor took out the pin. The pin was suppose to be in for at least 4 weeks. Now my toe does exactly the same thing. It looks awful also.My doctor said it wouls stiffen up as I developed scar tissue inside the toe..Well now I have a really tight scar tissue on the outside that pulls up my toe making it very uncomftable.The doctor is going to cut the scar to release some of the tightness.Hopefully your doctor will tell you that you should develop scar tissue to stiffen your toe also.And hopefully he is right.LOL
Good luck,

Sue

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 08-18-2004, 03:29 PM   #3

ekgoal HB User
Re: neuroma surgery complications

Kathy-
From your discussion, it sounds like a few things were done. First, the osteotomy was for a bunion correction, and the "neuroma" was excised from the space between the 2 and 3 toes. Was there any procedure done to the second toe? Often, these "neuromas" in this position aren't truely neuromas at all, but an irritation at the base or bottom of the second toe, which can manifest as symptoms similar to that of a "neuroma". Usually, "proper" treatment for this condition would consist of a different type of bunion procedure to decrease the pressure on the base of the second toe.
With that being said, during a "neuroma" procedure, the nerve that is being resected is close to muscles that control the inward and outward stabilization of the toes. Occasionally, the nerve looks like a tendon that is coursing from one of these muscles. If this tendon is cut (as opposed to the nerve), then the opposing muscle (on the other side of the toe) can then pull the toe that direction.
From the sounds of things, the doctor cut the tendons that your body uses to flex/extend your toe, which will deem the toe "floppy". Unfortunately, there is no way to repair this floppiness and occasionally IF it scars, it will be less floppy. It may require a fusion of one of the joints within the toe to gain some stability, but if I were you, I would get a second opinion prior to any further procedures on this foot.

Closed Thread